Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Silky Slim posted:

the very end was really off-putting to me. Those parts weren't even really very offensive it's just like, it's 2016 y'all I thought we were past this stuff and kinda gets in the way of the fun.

I'm curious, would you mind spoiling it in tags? I'm probably seeing this with very social-justice-minded folks so I wanna know how bad I should expect their reaction to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basically, the plot of the movie hinges around saving your wife from Blond Tommy Wiseau. Turns out, Tommy was a part of making murder cyborgs all along, which Henry is, and they basically go through a training program in which your motive is to save your wife. Turns out, the wife is with Tommy, and every single cyborg's motive is to save the wife. It's cool because it really hammers home how loving dumb that plot is.

Anyway, Henry, after loving poo poo up, finally confronts her in a helicopter, and something happens which I forgot but she stumbles out of the plane (like Vertigo), and hangs on to the edge of the helicopter, begging Henry to save her. Saying that "They did have something together" and she knows he loves her, ect.

Henry just slams the door down on her, and she falls.

The end.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo that owns, yeah this'll go fine

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQs1b6netgo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I would agree that the gay jokes were something I could've done without but didn't see any problem with the ending. It definitely didn't come off like WOMEN AMIRITE? like people seem to be implying.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNfHBhOg3JI

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wow the critical consensus really tanked from like 80% to 50% on RT once all the top critic dudes got ahold of it and passed around the tired "it's just watching a fucken videogame gently caress this" statement

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the video criticism isn't "it's a video game" as "it's a boring video game".

Like, the Doom movie was poo poo, but the FPS scene was fun since it's, ya know, Doom.

Im seeing this at the back of the theater. Hope I don't get sick.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Saw the early showing of this. Bad dialogue, much of the flow of the movie is non-sequitur if you stop and think. Has very visceral action, at least one titty, and is just plain fun to watch, especially if you see it with friends (I saw it with two goons). The action doesn't let up and is well choreographed, with good real stunts.

I don't think it's homophobic to say you don't have sex with your clones.

Relin fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 8, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hardcore Henry is the best no-ui 100-percent-perfect long play of a quick time event FMV game I've seen. I'm not sure where the player found a game whose plot is based on a telekinetic white haired Tommy Wiseau wanting to create an army of cyborg dead soldiers, but it's a shame the developers didn't make more!

Realtalk, I enjoyed the movie well enough. Dug the explanation of how the same guy was constantly helping him, absolutely loved seeing an early-design grey-and-orange Half-Life poster, the few jokes it had worked (Henry gets on horse, dramatic music plays, horse kicks Henry off, music stops), and wasn't as gory as I expected. I can see people getting kinda sick with all the motion.

Few things I couldn't figure out/wrap my head around): So White Haired Tommy Wiseau's plan was to download Henry's memories of wanting to save his (not really? were they really married or were they false memories? Were the other guys at the beginning in on the overarcing plan?) wife into all of his soldiers, and use them to take over the world. So WHTW would have to put her into every city, one at a time, for the Other Henries to storm the breaches?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 8, 2016

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

The gist I Few things I couldn't figure out/wrap my head around): So White Haired Tommy Wiseau's plan was to download Henry's memories of wanting to save his (not really? were they really married or were they false memories? Were the other guys at the beginning in on the overarcing plan?) wife into all of his soldiers, and use them to take over the world. So WHTW would have to put her into every city, one at a time, for the Other Henries to storm the breaches?

The concept I put together was that they had a problem that their cyborgs came out as dumbshits because they didn't have any motivation so his wife has this idea to create a dilemma that works for amnesiac cyborgs. So she plays [cyborg's name here]'s wife and gets put in dangers. He's frustrated and killedthought he killed his lead scientist so he plays along. It really works and he's motivated right from the get go but then he unwittingly gets help. I think he's supposed to keep going until he runs out of his pre-depleted battery and they use the convenient blank out as an edit point for all future cyborgs.

So they use that constant recording of his eyeball feed as a baseline and just digitally edit in an alternate name. The guy blanks out and someone yells at him "your wife is in that refugee camp full of women and kids. Go kill them all and get your wife back!" and they'll just hop to and get it done because it feels like mere hours ago she was within his grasp.

I think they liked getting as much "footage" as they could which was why the people in charge didn't actually try and kill him (like the big mook who tasers and beats him). Basically keep rolling the cameras because the footage was gold. Jimmy's help just gave them more footage to work with so it didn't hurt anything.

So they wouldn't need the wife anymore, just the suggestion that she was somewhere and the cyborgs would blow up everything to get her and then "your princess is in another castle". A missed opportunity was to have the zerg rush cyborg fight have them all saying "where is she" "where's Estelle!?!" and stuff like the confused machines they are. It would have been a nice sci-fi touch.

Overall it was pretty fun but I felt compelled to compare it to Crank and it doesn't quite measure up. It has a fine progression and all and those moments when it reaches proper insanity it really comes alive. But what it was lacking was that "things are batshit at moment zero" effect. Like the climax of this film, which has surreal elements, nice musical choices, and an amp up in the gore factor feels like the opening of Crank. I think if they somehow had that kind of magic infused throughout I would have liked it more. Because the ramp up sections are laying track that take a long time to payoff and the road to that is a lot of shaky cam and it gives you plenty of time to let your mind wander and consider this portion the boring "tutorial" portion of a game. The movie is almost real time and I wish they had committed to it entirely because it's jarring when there are "passage of time" edit points. I acknowledge the technical challenges are huge to that but I still felt it when it happened.

Sharlto Copely is clearly having a lot of fun and he's really the spark that keeps you engaged after the initial inventiveness of first person wears off and you're waiting for the crazy to arrive. The bad guy is pretty awful and I thought he might be blind because of how he chose to "act" but the inexplicable idea of him was the kind of Crank-like absurdly bizarre element I wanted a lot more of. Telekinesis in my cyborg movie? Please yes!

It's a fun watch if you're okay with found footage cinematography. There are two other scenes as memorable as the preview segment many saw so there are goodies in there. But it draws from the conventional well for a good long while before it turns up the crazy and there were times when I felt sleepy mid-fight because it didn't bring something special to the table. 2 out of 3 (see it if you're interested)

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Just got back from seeing it in D-Box seats on max (definitely don't try if just watching it alone makes you even a little bit sick). It was lots of fun and stomach wrenching. The D-Box added a lot I thought and you could feel every bash, stab, shot, etc. I couldn't help but notice that the bad guy kind of looked, acted and spoke like Charlie's bad guy in Always Sunny's Lethal Weapon 5/6. Couldn't help but laugh every time he did anything because I couldn't unsee the similarities.

Overall, I thought it was really fun. I thought the last fight scene was easily the best and had the best soundtrack to it as well. If your not queasy and you have a D-Box theatre near, you should really see it in those seats as this is probably the best movie so far for those seats.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 8, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

A video game acted out by batshit insane Russians and Sharlto Copley.

Nothing makes me spin from "this is dumb and poo poo" to "i must own this several times" like Sharlto Copley and Timur Bekmembatov.

And this has both.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm curious, would you mind spoiling it in tags? I'm probably seeing this with very social-justice-minded folks so I wanna know how bad I should expect their reaction to be.

Two minor things I can think of for the gay jokes:

1) Someone yells "That's the gayest jacket I've seen in my life." The jacket was very sparkly.

2) There's a part where a leader of a bunch of guys says something like. "You should see what we get up to when we're alone." Then a musical starts playing, a guy in a top hat comes out, and there's a song and dance skit with multiple guys taking part. In a later scene one of the guys who was dancing says "I know some people have certain ideas about people who like musicals, but I'm as straight as an arrow."

RaspberrySea fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 8, 2016

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
This movie was an awesome experience, but there were only a few other people in the theater at 3pm on a friday. :ohdear:

Also the movie was a little too realistic, when I got back to my car it had been broken into. :smith:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MorgaineDax posted:

Two minor things I can think of for the gay jokes:

1) Someone yells "That's the gayest jacket I've seen in my life." The jacket was very sparkly.

2) There's a part where a leader of a bunch of guys says something like. "You should see what we get up to when we're alone." Then a musical starts playing, a guy in a top hat comes out, and there's a song and dance skit with multiple guys taking part. In a later scene one of the guys who was dancing says "I know some people have certain ideas about people who like musicals, but I'm as straight as an arrow."

They all came from the exact same kinda sleazy character so there's that, too.

effectual posted:

This movie was an awesome experience, but there were only a few other people in the theater at 3pm on a friday. :ohdear:

Also the movie was a little too realistic, when I got back to my car it had been broken into. :smith:

Upside: I got to see it DEAD CENTER, perfect.

Downside: Movie is gonna tank hard because of critic snobbery.

The whole plot was ridiculous, but EVERYTHING was ridiculous. The way I'm explaining to friends is "This movie could co-exist in the Blood Dragon universe." And it really could.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Movie is gonna tank hard because of critic snobbery.

Ignoring the laughable notion that the opinions of critics has influence over normal audiences anymore, this movie potential tankiness comes from the same reason why eSports hasn't been able to crawl out of its niche and reach even Unpopular Sport ratings: watching someone else play a video game isn't a lot of people's idea of an entertaining experience.

Sure, there are people who like it, and that's the audience a movie like HH will attract. But the same things that will attract that audience will alienate the rest. It's not snobbery.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Ignoring the laughable notion that the opinions of critics has influence over normal audiences anymore, this movie potential tankiness comes from the same reason why eSports hasn't been able to crawl out of its niche and reach even Unpopular Sport ratings: watching someone else play a video game isn't a lot of people's idea of an entertaining experience.

Well you couldn't be more wrong... The LoL 2015 world championship had 36 million unique viewers and 14 million concurrent for the finals. http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/worlds-2015-viewership Esports draws massive crowds.

That being said, I enjoyed the poo poo out of this movie. One of the best action films I've seen in a while, EZ.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Frustrated posted:

Well you couldn't be more wrong... The LoL 2015 world championship had 36 million unique viewers and 14 million concurrent for the finals. http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/worlds-2015-viewership Esports draws massive crowds.

Reaching low level numbers (compared to real sports, you could get 14million with terrible teams in the early rounds of the NBA finals) for one event is not "Massive Crowds".

E: hell, let's show the real numbers for Esports about a year ago. A goddamned .1!

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 9, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Just finished watching this and it's an extended Biting Elbows video which is not s bad thing if you're looking for that. Not gonna set the cinematic world on fire but it's big and dumb and checks off all the right boxes for me. Not bad if you're just looking for action scenes strung together. Also the musical number owned. And how often do you get to see the main villain get taken out by head bisection by the hero's eye stalk?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...man, this movie really, really hates women. Like, I'm used to some misogyny in dumb action movies just because it's such a male-targeted genre, but that joke at the end of the nightclub scene was impressively loving brazen, and I was also really not cool with how often this movie brings up rape. I'm also not sure if I'm comfortable with the ending; it felt a little sadistic compared to Henry killing... well, basically everyone else.

e: if you can ignore the movie's politics, it's worth a look, but only if you can ignore the movie's politics, because holy loving christ on a bike

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I didn't get the impression it hates women at all.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I remember the scene in question and the would be raper got his berries crushed to a fine paste and got a rather large pipe rammed down his throat by Henry before anything could happen.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I also don't see where this movie hates women, and I don't even remember any particular nightclub joke.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just got back from watching this and I was the only person in the theater at a 2pm showing. A couple came in just as the previews were ending, but then left during the opening credits.

It was entertaining, but it certainly isn't going to set the world on fire. I can easily see a lot of people getting disoriented if they aren't good with FPS stuff. I could care less about any of the so called politics that people seem to be talking about here. Basically it's a shut down your brain and enjoy some mindless action movie.

My favorite part was when the Magnificent Seven theme music (I actually thought it was the Wild America theme song) came on while Harry was dealing with the horse and then he falls off it immediately.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy poo poo, I forgot about that. That was hilarious. Also, the scene before it when he's falling and trying to land in the lake. :laffo:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Just got back from it. It was a poo poo ton of fun, better than it had any right to be, but falls just shy of being great to me. The music is great, the choreography is great, the humor is great, but it didn't quite come together for me as a whole. Sharlto Copley is amazing in it and the violence is pretty inventive. I think it's a solid 3/5 stars with just enough of a gimmick to make it something interesting. It's definitely pure weaponized Male Power Fantasy, but I didn't see any actually misogyny. It's not a feminist film by any means, but I think the worst you can accuse it of is making women's agency and characterization something of an afterthought.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Okay, so here's the deal. There's no better movie coming out in 2016 than this. Not even the R-rated Shane Black one which I'm holding out hope is the second coming of The Last Boy Scout or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I'm biased as this regard, because it is very clearly a film made solely for me the way that movies like Crank, Crank 2, Shoot 'Em Up, Smokin' Aces, Doomsday are movies made basically only for me at the expense of every other living being. As such, it is not a surprise that this film is being savaged critically, has a very low CinemaScore, and is not going to make any money such that it will probably only be in theaters for a week.

None of that matters. This movie is Most Dangerous indeed. I didn't even know it was a crowdfunded movie courtesy of Indiegogo until the end, but that answers the question of what true heroes were out there who gave these people money. One of the backers was the guy who founded Overkill Software (he's not there anymore, alas), whose game Payday 2 has now added Sharlto Copley as a playable character for shooting the cops (unlike with John Wick, Sharlto recorded his lines for it). They worked two product placements for the game into the movie, one of which must have been added in post because the trailer shows him open the drawer for it to contain two pistols. In the movie, it also contains the skull mask from the game.

I was actually the movie to be disorienting and potentially nausea-inducing, since shakycam/Paul Greengrass stuff is kind of like that. But I was completely fine the whole time, and the reason why isn't apparently until you watch the behind-the-scenes stuff; they're actually filming a lot of the action very slowly! This is in no way apparent when watching the movie, but they clearly realized quickly that "if we do these parts where the perspective goes wonky at full speed it'll make people sick, but if we do it just slowly enough it won't register to people."

Also, as a fan of Sharlto Copley behaving like a maniac, this is almost definitely the Sharlto Copley-est film of all since Elysium.

Burns
May 10, 2008

My review: This movie is crunchy. This is a good thing.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I really enjoyed this. I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more if it didn't literally make me sick though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DrManiac posted:

I really enjoyed this. I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more if it didn't literally make me sick though.

Same. I don't usually get motion sickness, but this movie got me good.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I got a little motion sick and a headache after half an hour, but sucked it up and got better.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...man, this movie really, really hates women. Like, I'm used to some misogyny in dumb action movies just because it's such a male-targeted genre, but that joke at the end of the nightclub scene was impressively loving brazen, and I was also really not cool with how often this movie brings up rape. I'm also not sure if I'm comfortable with the ending; it felt a little sadistic compared to Henry killing... well, basically everyone else.

e: if you can ignore the movie's politics, it's worth a look, but only if you can ignore the movie's politics, because holy loving christ on a bike

heh, you must be a millenial

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

effectual posted:

I didn't get the impression it hates women at all.

That's because it doesn't.

Check the key scene where a group of aggressive prostitutes converge around Henry while he dreams of his loving wife. What the film eventually reveals is that it's these women who really care about him, while the dream of a perfect wife is a fake.

If you want to talk politics, you have to note the unavoidable fact that Jimmy appears as a hippie, a homeless man, an anarchist... and finally as a pure subject - brain in a jar, effectively. The film functions very well as an allegory for the efforts of the political left in a very post-communist, authoritarian-capitalist Russia. We have a hero who mingles with prostitutes, beggars, cripples, and other outcasts.

Hardcore Henry is likely the best movie of the year.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

So, the dream about his wife.. Obviously they can implant memories but we're not made privy of any other memories implanted.. Possibility they're real? I doubt it, that seems to be getting unnecessarily deep for this movie. I loved how "his wife" is very obviously in evil clothes and makeup when they meet in the truck chase.

Also, I was afraid going in that the movie's first person perspective would play up against my mental problems but really the only spot that did was the rooftop battle at the end which is now all mixed up with my memories of a couple years of playing Left4Dead. Seriously that was tremendously disorienting, i spend half that scene going "I've been here... How??" and then losing my poo poo when they showed the little shack and everything clicked.

Wound up coming home, getting in to caffeine and energy drinks, and watching Crank which I've been meaning to for years now to chill out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like the layout was taken exactly from L4D.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

The stunts get quite insane in this. The car chase is fairly nuts, as is the end. There are a few cheap bad effects but they are far in between.

You know what the cheapest effect was that totally stood out? Whenever a joint or cigarette was lit. It's always the crappiest, fakest looking smoke. Everything else was fairly to totally convincing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Huh. I'll have to look out for that. I wonder why that was?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's something you notice when watching a lot of period TV shows with smoking, the CG for it is always like, Turok fog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm surprised this is getting such a good reception here. Aside from, yes, feeling like you're watching someone play Call of Duty, while I didn't get motion sick the very act of watching it was exhausting and the complete lack of script or interesting characters (aside from Copely) didn't really give me much of a feeling of involvement despite you literally looking through the eyes of the main character. Maybe if the latency in the video wasn't so bad it would be a bit easier to follow. Me and a friend agreed it was an interesting experiment but we couldn't picture ourselves watching it again.

• Locked thread