Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Saw this buzzed with my brother just ten minutes ago. I can't say I support this becoming a trend, and I can't say it was the perfect experience (a lot of the fast shakey poo poo just means you can't appreciate the action as much), but I can definitely say that Hardcore Henry was a fun as gently caress experience.
I sort of approach it like Cloverfield, where I had a hell of a lot of fun and was pretty immersed, but can't imagine any rewatching value or really recommending it to people outside of the specific parameters of : "don't be sober, enjoy the ride". Lots of hooting and laughing, pretty empty theater. Like Cloverfield (which I saw opening night without having ever seen a trailer), I think of this film and recommend it as more of an "experience" than a "movie" if that makes any sense. But that's not me trying to diminish it, I had fun even if I still can't quite grasp a lot of people in my generation watching videos of other people playing videogames.
I gotta admit, leaving the theater I just felt like running around and grappling off of lights and punching walls and poo poo :lol: I can only imagine showing this movie to a theater full of charged up crossfaded dudes and then releasing them onto the streets.
the Queen was predictable and cliche, I mean this isn't even the first movie to use that song as a charged up moment, but none of that mattered. It all worked. Great music, great fun. RIP all those Henry allies ;~;

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

The entire point of the ending was anti Women armirite! He mocks her, never tortures here, and when she tries for the bad damsel in distress act he just closes the door on her and that fake rear end part of his life. It's a stupid movie trope, like the origin story for the Akane, that unlike Akane the audience/Henry has to deal with and rejects totally
Wait, what part are you referring to when you mention an Akane origin story that the audience/Henry rejects totally? This movie was kind of a fun frenetic blur for me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I also feel like it's the sort of visual spectacle best absorbed on a nice screen. Like say, Cloverfield. Nothing special necessarily but I know some of the discount theaters I've been to don't always have the best set up. So it depends on what the ones round your parts are like.
But it's also a good point that a lot of the discount theaters wouldn't normally pick up a film like Hardcore Henry unless it actually did well, a little film like this tanking might not make that cut. Again I guess it's dependent on the discount theaters around you but in my case, if this is actually bombing (man that brings my completely empty theater to perspective I guess, but that actually made shooting the poo poo and drinking beer with my friend more fun) and if it doesn't build even some local buzz then I can't imagine my discount theaters would carry it.
It's usually the older big hits

• Locked thread