Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the video criticism isn't "it's a video game" as "it's a boring video game".

Like, the Doom movie was poo poo, but the FPS scene was fun since it's, ya know, Doom.

Im seeing this at the back of the theater. Hope I don't get sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hardcore Henry is the best no-ui 100-percent-perfect long play of a quick time event FMV game I've seen. I'm not sure where the player found a game whose plot is based on a telekinetic white haired Tommy Wiseau wanting to create an army of cyborg dead soldiers, but it's a shame the developers didn't make more!

Realtalk, I enjoyed the movie well enough. Dug the explanation of how the same guy was constantly helping him, absolutely loved seeing an early-design grey-and-orange Half-Life poster, the few jokes it had worked (Henry gets on horse, dramatic music plays, horse kicks Henry off, music stops), and wasn't as gory as I expected. I can see people getting kinda sick with all the motion.

Few things I couldn't figure out/wrap my head around): So White Haired Tommy Wiseau's plan was to download Henry's memories of wanting to save his (not really? were they really married or were they false memories? Were the other guys at the beginning in on the overarcing plan?) wife into all of his soldiers, and use them to take over the world. So WHTW would have to put her into every city, one at a time, for the Other Henries to storm the breaches?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 8, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Movie is gonna tank hard because of critic snobbery.

Ignoring the laughable notion that the opinions of critics has influence over normal audiences anymore, this movie potential tankiness comes from the same reason why eSports hasn't been able to crawl out of its niche and reach even Unpopular Sport ratings: watching someone else play a video game isn't a lot of people's idea of an entertaining experience.

Sure, there are people who like it, and that's the audience a movie like HH will attract. But the same things that will attract that audience will alienate the rest. It's not snobbery.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Frustrated posted:

Well you couldn't be more wrong... The LoL 2015 world championship had 36 million unique viewers and 14 million concurrent for the finals. http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/worlds-2015-viewership Esports draws massive crowds.

Reaching low level numbers (compared to real sports, you could get 14million with terrible teams in the early rounds of the NBA finals) for one event is not "Massive Crowds".

E: hell, let's show the real numbers for Esports about a year ago. A goddamned .1!

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 9, 2016

• Locked thread