Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Okay, so here's the deal. There's no better movie coming out in 2016 than this. Not even the R-rated Shane Black one which I'm holding out hope is the second coming of The Last Boy Scout or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I'm biased as this regard, because it is very clearly a film made solely for me the way that movies like Crank, Crank 2, Shoot 'Em Up, Smokin' Aces, Doomsday are movies made basically only for me at the expense of every other living being. As such, it is not a surprise that this film is being savaged critically, has a very low CinemaScore, and is not going to make any money such that it will probably only be in theaters for a week.

None of that matters. This movie is Most Dangerous indeed. I didn't even know it was a crowdfunded movie courtesy of Indiegogo until the end, but that answers the question of what true heroes were out there who gave these people money. One of the backers was the guy who founded Overkill Software (he's not there anymore, alas), whose game Payday 2 has now added Sharlto Copley as a playable character for shooting the cops (unlike with John Wick, Sharlto recorded his lines for it). They worked two product placements for the game into the movie, one of which must have been added in post because the trailer shows him open the drawer for it to contain two pistols. In the movie, it also contains the skull mask from the game.

I was actually the movie to be disorienting and potentially nausea-inducing, since shakycam/Paul Greengrass stuff is kind of like that. But I was completely fine the whole time, and the reason why isn't apparently until you watch the behind-the-scenes stuff; they're actually filming a lot of the action very slowly! This is in no way apparent when watching the movie, but they clearly realized quickly that "if we do these parts where the perspective goes wonky at full speed it'll make people sick, but if we do it just slowly enough it won't register to people."

Also, as a fan of Sharlto Copley behaving like a maniac, this is almost definitely the Sharlto Copley-est film of all since Elysium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread