Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

The gist I Few things I couldn't figure out/wrap my head around): So White Haired Tommy Wiseau's plan was to download Henry's memories of wanting to save his (not really? were they really married or were they false memories? Were the other guys at the beginning in on the overarcing plan?) wife into all of his soldiers, and use them to take over the world. So WHTW would have to put her into every city, one at a time, for the Other Henries to storm the breaches?

The concept I put together was that they had a problem that their cyborgs came out as dumbshits because they didn't have any motivation so his wife has this idea to create a dilemma that works for amnesiac cyborgs. So she plays [cyborg's name here]'s wife and gets put in dangers. He's frustrated and killedthought he killed his lead scientist so he plays along. It really works and he's motivated right from the get go but then he unwittingly gets help. I think he's supposed to keep going until he runs out of his pre-depleted battery and they use the convenient blank out as an edit point for all future cyborgs.

So they use that constant recording of his eyeball feed as a baseline and just digitally edit in an alternate name. The guy blanks out and someone yells at him "your wife is in that refugee camp full of women and kids. Go kill them all and get your wife back!" and they'll just hop to and get it done because it feels like mere hours ago she was within his grasp.

I think they liked getting as much "footage" as they could which was why the people in charge didn't actually try and kill him (like the big mook who tasers and beats him). Basically keep rolling the cameras because the footage was gold. Jimmy's help just gave them more footage to work with so it didn't hurt anything.

So they wouldn't need the wife anymore, just the suggestion that she was somewhere and the cyborgs would blow up everything to get her and then "your princess is in another castle". A missed opportunity was to have the zerg rush cyborg fight have them all saying "where is she" "where's Estelle!?!" and stuff like the confused machines they are. It would have been a nice sci-fi touch.

Overall it was pretty fun but I felt compelled to compare it to Crank and it doesn't quite measure up. It has a fine progression and all and those moments when it reaches proper insanity it really comes alive. But what it was lacking was that "things are batshit at moment zero" effect. Like the climax of this film, which has surreal elements, nice musical choices, and an amp up in the gore factor feels like the opening of Crank. I think if they somehow had that kind of magic infused throughout I would have liked it more. Because the ramp up sections are laying track that take a long time to payoff and the road to that is a lot of shaky cam and it gives you plenty of time to let your mind wander and consider this portion the boring "tutorial" portion of a game. The movie is almost real time and I wish they had committed to it entirely because it's jarring when there are "passage of time" edit points. I acknowledge the technical challenges are huge to that but I still felt it when it happened.

Sharlto Copely is clearly having a lot of fun and he's really the spark that keeps you engaged after the initial inventiveness of first person wears off and you're waiting for the crazy to arrive. The bad guy is pretty awful and I thought he might be blind because of how he chose to "act" but the inexplicable idea of him was the kind of Crank-like absurdly bizarre element I wanted a lot more of. Telekinesis in my cyborg movie? Please yes!

It's a fun watch if you're okay with found footage cinematography. There are two other scenes as memorable as the preview segment many saw so there are goodies in there. But it draws from the conventional well for a good long while before it turns up the crazy and there were times when I felt sleepy mid-fight because it didn't bring something special to the table. 2 out of 3 (see it if you're interested)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

OptimusShr posted:

I have to disagree with this. I loving despise found footage and enjoyed the film for the insanity that it was. Some of the segments were way too chaotic and made the action a little hard to follow. I felt some of those segments could and should have been done better.

I think the parts you found disagreeable are those "found footage cinematography" segments I'm referring to. So I think we agree.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

RandomPauI posted:

So, do I catch it this week or do I chance it going to the cheap theaters in a week or two?

It's getting murdered in the boxoffice so it all depends on whether your cheaper theater gets absolutely every movie or only the bigger grossers.

• Locked thread