Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Lana and Senya are the ones doing 90% of the stuff that gets done in the expansion.

That changes in Chapter 10 (The Chapter that Everyone Hates). I actually like Chapter 10. I'll talk about why when we get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That changes in Chapter 10 (The Chapter that Everyone Hates). I actually like Chapter 10. I'll talk about why when we get there.

The one with Jack? My hatred of that chapter just has to do with how it's yet another boring linear corridor crawl filled with the same enemies you'd been fighting for the last nine chapters, and discovering on my operative main that stealth is useless because all the enemies spawn at predetermined locations and automatically attack you without care for stealth or any such thing. Rather sets the stage for the rest of the chapters.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'll talk about it when we get there.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Interest check: would there be any point in me showing off the final act of the JK story? Seeing as this whole game is about the Sith Emperor and all.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

PoptartsNinja posted:

What about--
Republic’s. Greatest. Outlaw. Hero.

Hylo is also the former flame of Bounty Hunter companion Gault Rennow, which I only remember because I (finally) played through the Bounty Hunter story campaign last week. Gault stole their reward from the blockade run in question and left Hylo in stasis on Belsavis for 10 years, because Gault is, or at least was, a huge selfish asswipe. This may or may not be relevant later, in a way that may or may not be particularly stupid for Mortie.

E: Also, Smuggler characters better have a super snarky response at this point.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 15, 2017

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Boy am I glad I stopped playing this when I did. This writing sucks.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Coq au Nandos posted:

Interest check: would there be any point in me showing off the final act of the JK story? Seeing as this whole game is about the Sith Emperor and all.

More game is more good.
Last time Rayn did anything, she was going through Corneria Corellia, so we were missing the end of that planet, her grand finale, and the Rishi JK-specific quest.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I ended up recording the end of Corellia and finale for the JK sometime last year but have been busy and never got around to putting it together and now it's all on my old computer. I say go for it unless PTN really has a hankering to do it himself.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Catsworth posted:

I ended up recording the end of Corellia and finale for the JK sometime last year but have been busy and never got around to putting it together and now it's all on my old computer. I say go for it unless PTN really has a hankering to do it himself.

You could always do it again and have me re-voice the cutscenes. :devil:

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

Sure!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Coq au Nandos posted:

Go for it. It's a fair bit of work but it (and the Bounty Hunter ending that puts Saresh in power) is something I've always wished had gotten shown off.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 22: Depression and Acceptance

Click for Video

I don’t want to know how many people Lana had to lie to to make that happen.
That can’t be what you were out here contemplating.

He would have them die as he did because their deaths were forseen. Their visions provide great insight, but they’re not infallible.
Reminds me of the Heralds of Zildrog.
There’s another leader who paid for his certainty.
Say what you will about Valkorion, but he at least considered the viewpoints of others. He listened to me. Most of the time.
No he didn’t.

What is it?
I told you before that Arcann had a brother. Thexan. They were inseparable until his death. Vaylin told me, during our fight… Arcann murdered Thexan.
His own brother. Maybe if I had raised him….
See? You know. You know it wouldn’t have happened if Valkorion hadn’t wanted it.
Your fight with Vaylin--what happened?
What she had to say, it struck me down to my core. Paralyzed me. She slipped away.
Mmhm.
Now more than ever, I realize my children must be stopped and that I have to make peace with the choices I’ve made.

And what good would that do our alliance?
Our what, now?
You may not see an alliance, but our destinies are now intertwined. Take advantage of that fact and there is much you will be capable of.
How about you eat a bag of spectral dicks?

We now return to an episode of Dog Thor and Cat Loki, already in progress!

Of course the person closest to the camera is a woman so Bioware can throw in a gratuitous rear end-shot.

There was no vote. No meetings, no debates. It’s simply the way it is. The way it has been since the day you arrived.
Everyone knows it. It’s just… official now.

I’m not a leader, Lana. I’m an assassin. A killer who’s done everything in his power to avoid getting bogged down in politics.
Just give the damned speech already.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

"Yay for the nice Sith Lord saving us from tyranny"
"Aren't those the guys whose philosophy is 'get the power"?"
"Nuts"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

"Yay for the nice Sith Lord saving us from tyranny"
"Aren't those the guys whose philosophy is 'get the power"?"
"Nuts"

Well, I mean. For all that the Empire did, they weren't just making people mine out planets just to jettison the remains into space to mock them for it. Right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

At least the Sith made the trains run on time. Sure they were trains to the prison camps, but you know when they'd be leaving.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Boy, that's subtle. I wonder how many people missed this incredibly veiled foreshadowing.[/sarcasm]

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bruceski posted:

At least the Sith made the trains run on time. Sure they were trains to the prison camps, but you know when they'd be leaving.

Bear in mind that they could just as easily be rallying behind an Imperial Agent or a Bounty Hunter here.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

(the Bounty Hunter ending that puts Saresh in power).

Oh right, the thread never saw that either. Now I rather wish I'd been recording for the last few planets of my bounty hunter playthrough last week.

Of course, I went mostly light side and it turns out that mostly makes your character come across as a hypocritical moron. It may not be the thing to show off. It might also be exactly the thing to show off. I dunno.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Bear in mind that they could just as easily be rallying behind an Imperial Agent or a Bounty Hunter here.

And you could be a Jedi who chooses the Oppressive Speech, which makes you sound like an idiot no one would ever voluntarily back.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

Go for it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

Of course, I went mostly light side and it turns out that mostly makes your character come across as a hypocritical moron.

Just curious, but why do you think that?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

There was no vote. No meetings, no debates. It’s simply the way it is. The way it has been since the day you arrived.
Everyone knows it. It’s just… official now.

"Besides, if it wasn't this way, do you have any idea how expensive it would be for all that dialogue? The animations? The VO? Work with me here."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This was a lot to catch up with.

And to think, Kotfe started off rather strong.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

Just curious, but why do you think that?

My bounty hunter spent a decent chunk of time explaining how she was unfairly wronged by the universe and was in fact living by a righteous code where she honorably hunts only worthy targets. What she actually did was accept any contract from any imperial-affiliated jackass willing to offer one to advance the plot, then complete said contract by setting the hunt target and everyone nearby on fire, then possibly freezing the target in carbonite in some random cases. Nothing in the game convinced me that my character would actually reject a contract on an unworthy target, or even protest one, but she definitely liked to pretend that she would.

Sure, the ludonarrative dissonance thing is a factor in every MMO as you murder thousands of innocent security personnel and randomly take 5% of their shoes. It just gets amplified when your character repeatedly boasts about how they would never stoop to doing that exact thing that they're doing all the time.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 18, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 22: The Chapter Everyone Hates

To lash at whatever is found is not to hunt.
Forgive Brek. Young are overeager to prove their worth, is the same for your species. Yes?
More often then not.
Not many Trandoshans see my years. Wartimes offer much, yet take more.
What brings soft thing to me?
I’m searching for the leader of the Warstalkers.
I do not lead, they follow.
Where great stalker goes, Warstalkers follow. Scorekeeper’s eyes watch him closely.
I’m sure the Scorekeeper would see my offer as more than worthy. The greatest enemy this galaxy has known.
Soft thing wishes to fight Zakuul?
I would not choose such path, but… if Scorekeeper sees your hunt is worthy, I will join it.
Bring me proof that Scorekeeper favors you.
Hunt that which Scorekeeper values most. When I am satisfied the Scorekeeper has sent another Herald, that path I follow.

PTN’s note: Qyzen is unlocked by killing something like 3 world bosses or hunting and killing 20 Worthy Prey on Hoth for Jagganath Points. I do the latter, there’s a place where four spawn and another place where 2-3 regularly spawn that are an easy flight path for Imperials. Republic players have it rougher.

I have slain many beasts on Hoth worthy of Jagannath.
You’ve seen how your Scorekeeper smiles on me. Are you willing to join me now?
Scorekeeper favors you indeed. No coincidence she crossed our paths.
Thank you, Great Stalker.
Qyzen. You may call me Qyzen.
Thank you, Qyzen. If I can’t have Jolune on my side, you’re the next best thing.
We quit this place soon. I will find you.

PTN’s note: Some people are… more painful to recruit than others. I may not show all of them, just the fan favorites like Qyzen. And…

Get me one by twenty-two hundred or Kaas City will hear about your upcoming suicide mission to Coruscant. Dismissed.
What sort of moron gave you command authority?
Kept me waiting long enough, my lord.

Don’t tempt me.
A desk, Pierce. How the mighty have fallen.
Cruel as ever, my lord.
This post is more of a fit for that bootlick of yours, Quinn, but I’m the war hero.
My “reward” for cracking the Bastion. Promotion, medals, and being trotted out as a reminder of what every grunt should aspire to.
Can’t prove it, but I suspect Moff Hurdenn had a hand in that. Damned me with praise, I’m sure.
They were right to use you as an inspiration, but taking you off the battlefield was a mistake.
Mostly because it deprived me of an opportunity to read your obituary.
Having to sit here and talk about the grand victories instead of being part of them. It’s a fate worse than death.
Bah, enough of my griping. You have business with the Outreach Bureau, or is this a personal call?
I’m going to regret this.
I have organized an alliance against the Eternal Empire. Join me in crushing it.
Sounds like something you’d do. I’d love to, my lord.

PTN’s note: Jokes aside, If you’re not the Sith Warrior, Pierce is recruitable for Imperial Players after some number of PVP missions. If you hate MMO PVP like I do, picking him up is a pain in the rear end. Of course, his Republic counterpart M1-4X has the same requirement. As far as I’m concerned, Imperial players get the short end of the stick here. At least it’s not Broonmark or Skadge?

Players automatically recruit their past companions, so Mort gets to pick up Pierce without any PVP.

Next time you see action, I want to be there.

PTN’s note: There are also some companions who aren’t tied to past story. Most are easy enough to pick-up, and make token appearances in some future cutscenes.

I thought--
It’ll come to me.
Seems you’ve lost your manners along with your sobriety.
Left ‘em at the door.
Buy me a drink or walk away. It’s all the same to me.
You haven’t aged a day in thirty years, Nico. What’s your secret?
Livin’ right. And a little relic I found on Korriban. It’s not important.
But you’re not here to discuss my good looks. You’re lookin’ to hire me.
Don’t work for just anyone, though. Order a drink. Let’s see what you’re worth.
A drink to tell my worth?
No better way to show it.
Throw something together that you think represents who you are.
Alright. I’ll mix something up.
Not just “something.” Put thought into it.
Go on. Surprise me.

PTN’s note: There’s a hidden achievement for remembering to put a little paper umbrella in Nico’s glass. Mort being Mort, he makes a Nico drink from some Kolto, some half-rotten meat, and a Space Lemon.

Is it supposed to glow blue like that?
That’s the Cherenkov radiation.

I put a lot of thought into the ingredients.
Liquid rage. Throat’ll be feeling that for a week. Let’s call it, “Smash”.
I like your style, and this dump’s lost its charm.
I’m all yours.
Great. … Who are you again?

PTN’s note: Be nice, Mort! He’s the smuggler from the trailer! We also recruited Yuun back in Chapter 9. Yuun is a mandatory pick-up but I lost his cutscene. It’s boring and his mission consists of collecting a bunch of trash on Zakuul. As a general rule, any companions we pick up this way were ones that Bioware couldn’t think of anything useful to do—which makes sense. Qyzen’s story is done, Yuun’s machine empathy is better suited to the research role he gets assigned to, Nico’s just a worse version of the smuggler PC, and Pierce is still a garbage character.

Click for Video

The Gravestone. The Outlander. Where are they?
Patrols in five sectors report no sign of either. Perhaps they’re just figments of our imagination?
Someone knows the truth.

Choose one populated planet in each of the five sectors. Dispatch the fleet to bombard them.
For how long?
Until they’re dust.
Someone knows. Someone will talk. But only if we give them a reason.

I finally find someone from my old crew and it turns out to be Lieutenant--Major now--Pierce.
I am unfathomably depressed right now. I would take anyone at this point.
Well. Anyone except Skadge. Please tell me you’ve found more of my people?
We’re still looking.
Great. :sigh:

Meanwhile, there’s a potential ally on Zakuul we’ve been ignoring: “Firebrand.”
Your information is faulty. Firebrand’s not on our side.
Firebrand?
An unidentified individual who arrived on Zakuul two years ago. She has carried out bombings in the Spire targeting military and civilian venues.
You don’t know who she is but you know she’s a she. Mmhm.
That makes her a terrorist, not an ally.
It makes her both. Look, I’m not thrilled with the idea, but we’re in no position to get choosy. She’s done as much damage as we have.
I don’t know if that says as much about her ability as you hope. It says more to me about how poorly we’ve been doing.
Stick to the facts and reserve judgement for later. What do we know about her?
Based on her rambling audio manifestos, she’s an anarchist, looking to bring down Emperor Arcann’s “perfect society.”
There are elements of the Spire’s population who create artwork in her honor. They even trade holograms of her handiwork.
If she’s survived fighting Zakuul so long and she’s connected with the populace, she’s worth investigating.
All right. We make contact. SCORPIO, you’re the expert on the Zakuul underworld.

Proceed. I’ll head for Zakuul shortly.
I’m backup if you need it.
Just be careful--Arcann’s still hunting for you, and Firebrand may not be the ally we’re hoping.

Let’s tone this down before someone starts selling tickets.
You are Firebrand, right?
Just “Kaliyo” is fine. Firebrand’s what the locals call me to brighten their sad little lives.
And I guess you’re the big mean “Outlander”? I heard what you did at the droid factory.

I want to know how you’ve operated without being caught. I want to know what you know about the Spire. Then we can discuss further arrangements.
Ooh. Threatening and mysterious.

We also just saved you from Skytroopers.

You and everyone else this expansion.

I’ll leave you to it--there’s a contact I need to meet.
Going to see a Skytrooper about a backrub?
No…? Ok, yes.

First stop is the Old World power junctions. You know how to cold rig a detonator…?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Like I said, you stole my thunder. Now I'm stealing it back.
You and everyone else this expansion.

It figures that I finally find some thunder and it turns out that thunder belongs to someone else. Again. For the fourth, fifth, sixth time? This is full of Sithspit Bioware. And not the stuff in my mouth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait is that an ewok listening to your inspirational speech?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well someone has to be the designated NPC, and it sure ain't the NPCs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait is that an ewok listening to your inspirational speech?

It was Treek, a companion you have to pay Real Money to hire.

She used to be really good back when companions had set roles (she could shift between a tank and a healer), but now she's sadly mediocre. Her magic watermelon of healing isn't very good anymore.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 25, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh yeah, baldy. Hey baldy.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Have they returned Blizz's Rocket Launcher yet?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 23: An Honest Motive, Three Dates, & Space Duct Tape

Click for Video

You don’t seem all that perturbed.
I’ve been shocked by worse.

That blackout you caused shows the whole system’s vulnerable. You know about the Overwatch?
Some sort of command center?
Smart boy.
Overwatch is where they run half the droids in the Spire. Skytroopers, building crews, med units, you name it.

We’re going to show them real life for a day or two. No droids. Just until it’s fixed.

I wasn’t planning on spending long in there, and tech isn’t my thing.
Look, you came to me. You don’t like my methods, I don’t really care--but I’ll throw in a bonus.
Tayvor Slen, the Overwatch administrator? The data he needs to run those droids is pretty much a blueprint for the city.

Come on… we better get to the next junction before the Skytroopers show.

Ugh, don’t say that word.
Pampered?
Alderaan. :argh:
Oh, tell me about it. Killiks creep me right the hell out.
Same.
And don’t even get me started on the people.
I’ve never met a more wretched hive of self-serving sycophants.
Until now. Zakuul is what happened when the Emperor took a close look at Alderaan and told the Dark Council: “Hold my beer.”

That woman said the others were out. That they’re getting their scars healed.
You’ve got good ears.
I just read the subtitles.

One more power conduit. Then the show starts.

Let’s make a trade.
I checked up on you after you blew up the factory. You used to be someone, before you disappeared.

You’re too smart not to have an angle. You tell me what you’re really after, I’ll tell you why I’m on Zakuul.

Who were you working for?
Gangs. Others. We’re not talking about that. Anyway, I landed on my feet--did odd jobs, owned a club. The usual.

You seem like more of an angry thrill-seeker than a believer in the cause of anarchy.
I was never hardcore about it, but I’m getting intellectual in my old age.
Problem is, these people? Nothing hurts them. Blow up a building, droids rebuild. Cut up a scumwad, droids heal him. They don’t know consequences.

They’ve barely got laws… but it’s not anarchy if nothing matters. It’s just a sugar rush.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I've never really liked Kaliyo. Too much of a raging sociopath. Sure, I flirted with her with my agent but my agent is a manwhore, he'll flirt with any woman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also of note is that despite all the extremely strong hints that Kaliyo is bisexual, if you flirt with her as a female PC she says she's 100% straight and just hits on women to gently caress with them and manipulate them.

I really don't understand why agents are forced to put up with her aside from game mechanics. My agent, my first character and main, would rather have just taken the ship droid into the field and spaced Kaliyo as a walking liability.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I honestly don't hate Kaliyo. I never have: Kaliyo is a pathological liar but she's surprisingly honest in spite of that. Nothing she says will ever be entirely truthful, but it's not all hot air either.

She admits she's here to avenge the Agent, which is more than any other main-class companion bothers with. She's really here to get herself killed striking a blow in the Agent's name. She pays her debts.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 29, 2017

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I honestly don't hate Kaliyo. I never have: Kaliyo is a pathological liar but she's surprisingly honest in spite of that. Nothing she says will ever be entirely truthful, but it's not all hot air either.
She has a personality, at least, and a set of useful skills. You can see why the agent might keep her around as the underworld connection and muscle of the crew. It's a lot better than, say, Rusk and Pierce, who were blandly forgettable, or Skadge and Broonmark, who I imagine most players just wanted to get the hell off their ship.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Everything is too nice! Anarchy!!!

what

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Everything is too nice! Anarchy!!!

Kaliyo is a liar.

Kaliyo says she's an Anarchist.

Kaliyo sticks around with an Imperial Agent who gives her life structure.

What she says she is and what she actually is are two different things. The Imperial Agent has most of the best companions and it's not because they're portrayed inconsistently.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 29, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So this is basically the planet that exists for the glory of the Empire in publicity stills as long as nobody ever talks to the people who live there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

So this is basically the planet that exists for the glory of the Empire in publicity stills as long as nobody ever talks to the people who live there?

A recurring thing with Zakuul is that it genuinely is a post-scarcity utopia in most places... but a lot of people in Zakuul are bored with it. All their needs are provided for by droids and their safety is assured thanks to the Knights and Eternal Fleet. But a lot of people aren't happy, because they crave some excitement, some adventure, some uncertainty in their lives. So they turn to crime, or "anarchist" cells like Kaliyo's, or the military, and the government turns a blind eye to such thing as long as they don't cause real problems because they act as a social safety valve.

This is the central dynamic of Kaliyo's chapter in terms of story - I respectfully disagree with Poptarts' assessment of Kaliyo's character here. Everything Kaliyo has done on Zakuul has, to her dismay, fit into that safety valve preconception of the Zakuulans. The PC and friends are different. They're genuinely putting fear into the Zakuulan people and perturbing the social order. And Kaliyo's not happy about that.

• Locked thread