Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Cythereal posted:

Blood Hunt is a slog. The others are pretty quick. God droid makes them a breeze.

A good group does them considerably faster in my experience. Also, the stupidity of Buddy Droid is an issue sometimes; False Emperor was probably easier to do solo before the damned thing existed.

Mostly I think it feels sloggy because Bioware decided that you shouldn't get stuff for doing them solo, which is just annoying when they're also so very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

So who played the latest chapter of Kotfe? Because I'm just going :stare:

I mean, let's not spoil fr the ones who ain't gotte there yet but holy poo poo lets react.

... I guess I should go play the last couple chapters of KotFE, huh?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

but I've tried gifting them stuff, they don't like any of it.

For some reason finding the particular thing each companion likes was made a Fun Minigame:

E: Originally some of the companions -- the ship bots, a non-romanced Ashara -- loved nothing, so they were 50% more expensive to make like you. That was also fun.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 5, 2016

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

MadDogMike posted:

Tanno fits better than most of the dark side NPCs because "greedy war profiteer/looter" is a traditional character type in war stories, so it was relatively easy to come up with a way to write him because that kind of sleaze-bag working with more honorable soldiers has been done a lot. Add M1-4X for the "my country über alles" who follows orders no matter what, and DS trooper is pretty much well set for appropriate companions. Honestly trooper in general plays really interesting as dark side, particularly the "follow all orders" type.

Since the "Tanno Vik is a companion" spoiler seems kind of out of the bag, I'd say he's okay for what he is but like a lot of the dark side-ier character he doesn't really make sense to keep around if you're not trying to play a profiteering shithead. A bleeding heart or straight arrow-type would have him arrested, a ruthless republic first type would just have him shot out the airlock. Also, nothing will make Jorgan interesting.

Of course, the main problem with the trooper storyline -- assuming you pick commando, and everyone does -- is the giant gun. You might think that "no, giant guns are great!", which is true in general, but the problem is that cutscenes in TOR cannot deal with giant guns. TOR only has two cutscene animation sets: single blaster or single lightsaber. This means that if you need to shoot things in a cutscene as a Commando, you keep your giant cannon on your back and blast baddies with your dinky sidearm. It also means that you always have a giant cannon blocking the view from over your left shoulder, which in the case of one presumably-romantic kissing scene meant that stirring strings swelled as the game lovingly zoomed in for a close-up of my character's giant laser cannon (not a euphemism).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I think the Trooper and the Bounty Hunter both have a very similar problem in that Bioware decided that each archetype shouldn't just have a personal storyline but a personal type of storyline, and their assigned types aren't exactly fertile ground. It'd have been fine if Bioware had allowed themselves the leeway to put the story first and the archetype second. Have a few planets where the quests are driven by your character having some sort of personal stake in what's going on, let the player take the initiative. But, nope, it's hunting bounties and following orders all the way down.

There are interesting stories you could tell about being just a gal with a gun in a universe full of rear end in a top hat space wizards and rock star crime lords. Unfortunately, they all went to the Imperial Agent.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I liked the tournament, it's about the only part of TOR that doesn't fall into the usual MMO trap of deciding that only group content is allowed to be even remotely complicated. Sure, it's just cloning wow's Brawler's Guild, but still as fun as fighting things gets and about the only hard thing I've done in the game since doing the final Jedi Knight story fight two weeks after release¹.

¹ Said fight gave a huge sense of satisfaction at the time as an appropriate cap to the plot, but it was goddamn brutal. The final story mission for the Jedi Knight is a very, very long assault on Dromund Kaas, culminating in a climactic fight with the emperor which I don't believe the LP ever did because R'andayn ended up burning out on Correlia. The only companion you could bring was T7, who was your ranged tank companion and so generally had no gear because ranged tanks are bad (which was unfortunate, since T7 and 4X were the best of robot sidekicks). The emperor had things like casts that you must interrupt or be instantly killed and generally very murdery on anyone pre raidgear, which at the time was everyone. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, especially for people who always ran with a healer companion.

Most people ended up cheesing him with fall damage -- you could kite him to a pit and force push him in so he died, which is honestly kind of Star Wars-appropriate for evil emperors -- but he was legit beatable in the initial gear if you knew what was coming and spent some of the Corellia commendations gearing up T7, although it would probably take a few tries. It was a great cap to the most overt Big drat Hero plotline the release game if you were prepared/good/lucky enough and won, and a miserable anticlimax if you just got repeatedly smashed into the ground so they nerfed the hell out of it a bit later. It's nice that the game has something like it again, just significantly less plot mandatory.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

What about--
Republic’s. Greatest. Outlaw. Hero.

Hylo is also the former flame of Bounty Hunter companion Gault Rennow, which I only remember because I (finally) played through the Bounty Hunter story campaign last week. Gault stole their reward from the blockade run in question and left Hylo in stasis on Belsavis for 10 years, because Gault is, or at least was, a huge selfish asswipe. This may or may not be relevant later, in a way that may or may not be particularly stupid for Mortie.

E: Also, Smuggler characters better have a super snarky response at this point.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 15, 2017

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

(the Bounty Hunter ending that puts Saresh in power).

Oh right, the thread never saw that either. Now I rather wish I'd been recording for the last few planets of my bounty hunter playthrough last week.

Of course, I went mostly light side and it turns out that mostly makes your character come across as a hypocritical moron. It may not be the thing to show off. It might also be exactly the thing to show off. I dunno.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

Just curious, but why do you think that?

My bounty hunter spent a decent chunk of time explaining how she was unfairly wronged by the universe and was in fact living by a righteous code where she honorably hunts only worthy targets. What she actually did was accept any contract from any imperial-affiliated jackass willing to offer one to advance the plot, then complete said contract by setting the hunt target and everyone nearby on fire, then possibly freezing the target in carbonite in some random cases. Nothing in the game convinced me that my character would actually reject a contract on an unworthy target, or even protest one, but she definitely liked to pretend that she would.

Sure, the ludonarrative dissonance thing is a factor in every MMO as you murder thousands of innocent security personnel and randomly take 5% of their shoes. It just gets amplified when your character repeatedly boasts about how they would never stoop to doing that exact thing that they're doing all the time.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I honestly don't hate Kaliyo. I never have: Kaliyo is a pathological liar but she's surprisingly honest in spite of that. Nothing she says will ever be entirely truthful, but it's not all hot air either.
She has a personality, at least, and a set of useful skills. You can see why the agent might keep her around as the underworld connection and muscle of the crew. It's a lot better than, say, Rusk and Pierce, who were blandly forgettable, or Skadge and Broonmark, who I imagine most players just wanted to get the hell off their ship.

• Locked thread