Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cross-Section posted:

From a story perspective, maybe (at least until a certain figure is revealed) but these solo flashpoints are such a slog that one is essentially robbed of any enjoyment regardless.

Blood Hunt is a slog. The others are pretty quick. God droid makes them a breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

Oh hey, the droid designer, isn't that the guy who gave Rand'ayn combat tests way back in the day? Neat if they're actually having you kill the staff who the Republic players interacted with. I wonder how many more of the Jedi PCs' acquaintances are on the chopping block?

More than we'll just see with Mort. The Assault on Tython flashpoint and one other are mirrored: when Republic players hit Tython, it's the same flashpoint mechanically but all the enemies are an Imperial force that's sacked the temple and occupied it. It makes sense in the story, but I'll leave that for Poptarts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MightyPretenders posted:

Uh, fear of what exactly?

The dark side primarily, but more specifically extremes of emotion. They've seen what people can do when driven by intense emotions, even seemingly positive ones. Go play Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (or read the LP) to see what kind of atrocities one can do in the name of love, and many of those examples don't even concern people who get metaphysically juiced up by such acts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

Have we actually met Jensyn or Darth Soverus before? I'm guessing Soverus is just some new council member to replace one of those you lot have been killing recently, as gotta get a boss fight to finish the trip. But I get the impression were supposed to know who Commander Jensyn is, or have I missed something?

Nope. They're brand new.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inferior posted:

Darth Soverus is so new he doesn't even get a codex entry. It's never made clear what he was responsible for on the Dark Council. Care for the Elderly perhaps, given that he shows up to fight in his bathrobe.

IIRC he's implied to be the guy in charge of Korriban and keeping the Sith training program running smoothly. Not sure what sphere that would fall under. Possibly (later Shadow spoilers) Logistics as Vowrawn's replacement while he's on the run.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
An interesting note about this story arc: after the girl on Republic Makeb and guy on Imperial Makeb, Lana Beniko (the blonde Sith lady) and Theron Shan are TOR's first proper bisexual romance options. Knights of the Fallen Empire adds another bisexual male option, but Lana remains the one and only LGB love interest for women in the entire game unless you count that Republic-only girl from Makeb.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

I feel a touch silly asking questions about Jensyn now as if he was going to be an actual character rather than just some nobody to pop up once each story to offer up vague forshadowy dialogue before dying.

Better questions would be about Darth Arkous and Colonel Darok, but they're likewise made up for this story arc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

The troopers and Force users being mirrors is kind of eh, but I actually like that the lieutenant who replaces the Jedi Master for that boss fight has hacked their training droids to attack the very Jedi who trained with them. It feels like they could've done more like that to twist the knife a bit to emphasize the place some of the heroes figuratively grew up in is trashed. For example, while we just saw a few Flesh Raiders we won't see anything about the Twi'lek pilgrims.

I'd imagine one reason they didn't address the Twi'lek pilgrims is because Imperial Agents know the matriarch is a leading member of the Star Cabal. That's a can of worms I don't think they want to touch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Is cross-faction co-op stirring in the depths of the Force?

Or had that been a thing for a while when this content was new?

Cross-faction co-op with NPCs only. PCs of the different factions are still at war. But yeah, this is the start of Bioware departing from two separate faction narratives towards a model of one general storyline with bits of different dialogue for each faction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Especially in Fallen Empire, which basically reboots the entire TOR setting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
City of Heroes is a game I always wish I'd gotten a chance to play. Its shutdown was announced just as I was starting to explore MMOs other than WoW.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inferior posted:

It was Mort who freed the silly hat gang, which probably wasn't one of his better decisions.

We're probably not going to cover the Dread War storyline in this thread, as a lot of it is done through Operations (8 man multiplayer dungeons) and we don't have the numbers for them. So I guess we'll never find out the Dread Master's dealio (spoilers: they're the Sith Lord equivalent of Scarecrow from Batman, and just as effective. Go rogue, take over a few planets, shout about fear a lot, get stomped by the player characters).

It's a shame, as the Dread War is some decent storytelling with how it unfolds from Karagga's Palace onwards. The Dread Lords were also relatively stable and coherent until the Scum and Villainy raid which saw the first Dread Master slain. And without his mind - the Dread Masters are all telepathically linked - the group's power began to overwhelm and destabilize them.

Some of the boss fights were also really neat, especially Calyphaeus' time travel mechanic.

Y'all could probably talk the Goon Squad into covering it. I don't have the video capture software needed, or I'd offer to do it myself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, I forgot which is the Republic guild and which is Imperial.

As it is, yeah, the Dread War story involves most of TOR's raids at present. It goes: Karagga's Palace (raid) -> Explosive Conflict (raid) -> Terror From Beyond (raid) -> Scum and Villainy (raid) -> Oricon (planet) -> Dread Fortress (raid) -> Dread Palace (raid).

The other raids - Eternity Vault, The Ravagers, and Temple of Sacrifice - are self-contained stories for the first two and the cap of the Shadow storyline respectively.

Bit of a shame the raids are all now brought up to cap. Eternity Vault, Terror From Beyond, and Scum and Villainy have great atmosphere and visual design.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

My money's on "they forgot Bowdaar exists."

I've done it. Companions do not talk during any of this entire story arc. Except for two companions per class who have one line each on the jungle planet at the end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gnome de plume posted:

So Manaan wasn't bombed from orbit between KOTOR 1 and now? I am intensely disappointed.

It was. There was dialogue and lore articles in vanilla TOR that Manaan had been conquered by the Empire and Ahto City sunk beneath the waves by Imperial bombing - it's why the Republic is now experimenting with bacta as an alternative to kolto. Then when Manaan was brought back it was explained that the planet has been one of the Empire's territorial concessions during their retreat into a defensive perimeter around the Imperial core worlds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SynthOrange posted:

Hooray I found this thread!

... Who's that boxy bipedal robot following you around?

That is Jesus Droid, a god mode NPC provided by the game to ensure that every player regardless of gear and personal skill can do these flashpoints.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Edit: As far as mentions of a Droid uprising in game goes that I can remember, I think there's some background talk on Nar Shadda of droids talking about rising up against the masters and how convenient it can be done as an accident.

One of the endgame dungeons the LP has skipped, Directive 7, is a droid uprising that you go in and smash.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

So am I correct in assuming the stuff on Manaan goes down basically the same when playing Republic, except of course Theron sends you down there and Lana gets you back out? Or should I just wait to see what happens to Quinnie there in his next update?

Yep, it happens exactly like that. The Republic and Imperial versions of the Shadows of Revan storyline are functionally identical, just Imperials see more Lana and Maar while Republics see more Theron and Satele.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, one key difference: the Star Cabal was a compelling antagonist with understandable and even sympathetic reasons for doing what it did. I can't say the same about the Revanites. They always struck me as a generic filler villain, especially since the entire story arc ends up being about propping up and showing how dangerous a certain wet fart of a bad guy is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

It's a good job these guys who are all about using Raktan technology are not using the Raktan technology that forces ships to crash land on this planet. Especially as they are, I assume, being led by the guy who turned it off last.

I forget all about the Star Forge Tech on Nar Shadar that was mentioned, I'll have to re read the updates, but it's nice they reference past events like that. Was it a quest exclusive to Marauders or can anyone do it and get extra dialogue here? I know the Empire players already have exclusive extra stuff awhile back with them being able to do the Revan stuff on Dromund Kas.

It's a general Empire questline that any Imperial PC can do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just see Belsavis. Rakata stuff is the Old Republic era's go-to "Long gone precursor empire far more advanced than anything we have and we'll not equal them for thousands of years" gig.

Oddly, there's a couple of codex entries in TOR that explain why that's so. Rakata tech is very heavy on biotechnology and nanotechnology, which standard Galactic civilization doesn't make much use of. It's how Rakata technology can change and use the Force: the Force works through the organic components of the Rakata tech.

Wookieepedia, though, says that no the Rakata actually stole their technology from an even more ancient and powerful precursor race.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Light Side points for giving them empire the infinite army data might be based on the idea that Lana is one of those moderate Sith who'd use such a weapon for the betterment of the galaxy or something, otherwise that is a really strange decision. Although even that justification is pretty spotty at best. Also been watching this for quite a while and I've enjoyed it quite heavily. The personalised character voices really made this something special.

Enjoy the characterization of Lana as a moderate, level-headed Sith while it lasts. >_>

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SKY COQ posted:

I think I posted this in the MMO thread a while back (last time I went in on playing this) and some weird poo poo happens between the Old Republic era and 'modern' Star Wars, and the galaxy reverts to the Dark Ages for a while. Whether or not this is canon anymore is totally up to you at this point I think.

Eh, I try to bear in mind that Star Wars isn't science fiction for the most part, it's classical fantasy hiding under a thin veneer of spaceships and lasers. Fantasy settings where technology gets beyond the Middle Ages (at best, early Renaissance, before gunpowder and clocks and cross-oceanic travel become things) are rare, and the genre as a general rule has an intense antipathy towards science and invention. Star Wars is little different.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

There hasn't been anything yet about the Revanite goals or motivation, right? Just that whatever they're doing involves major conspirators from each side and the players' efforts to uncover them provokes a huge backlash.

Yep. We'll eventually find out. Spoiler alert: it's retarded.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The truth is much more stupid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaosdrachen posted:

Ah, Tanno Vik.

Still not the *worst* companion around, but a firm data point for the theory that there was some mandatory "every class has to have at least one NPC companion that absolutely *no one* will like" rule written down somewhere...

I think the idea was more that every class needs one pure dark-side psychopath for the players who swing that way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Most of the more interesting companions were the ones who fell somewhere in the middle of the light/dark scale, like Vette (I'm biased), Gault, Gus Tuno, 4X, Scorpio, etc.

Vette, in the middle? She's pretty consistently LS in my experience, and I personally found her insufferable and annoying. I loved the Warrior as a character and the Warrior story, but I feel the Warrior's companion cast is one of the weakest in the game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're bland, but they do the job better than Ashara (who seems to assume that the Sith Sorcerer is a lightsider no matter what you do in front of her, which suggests to me that there was a 'dark' Ashara planned that Bioware ran out of time to implement but because they ran out of time, if you're a darksider it makes Ashara look like she's suffered some form of brain damage).

Eh, my biggest problem with Ashara is that she has a clear and compelling character arc to her - she starts as a pure LS type, but she steadily falls as you get to know her from a philosophical angle. Ashara sits down to really think about the basis of the Jedi and Sith philosophies, and concludes that they're both misguided and largely bullshit, at best they're each incomplete in isolation. You can even get her to admit in one of her final couple of conversations that she's not sure if she's a Sith but she's definitely no Jedi and thinks the Sith come closer to the truth than the Jedi do. She's willing to commit and support atrocities as long as it leads to meaningful positive change in the galaxy.

It's a good idea that game mechanics completely fail to support, and the Star Wars setting in general seems to have an intense aversion to seriously exploring and establishing Force traditions and beliefs that are neither Jedi nor Sith and ambivalent about Light and Dark. Knights of the Old Republic 2 tried very hard, but TOR and the tie-in novels retconned virtually everything about that game and in particular established that Kreia was full of poo poo and she was just a delusional Sith all along.

Then again, part of my enjoying Ashara is the fact that I kind of hate the Light/Dark Jedi/Sith idea in Star Wars in general and to me the setting is at its best when all that stuff is kept firmly in the background in favor of working with normal people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I played my bounty hunter similarly: she would do what she was hired to do, period. Want the target alive? Done. Want the target dead? Done. A complete professional.

I think the bounty hunter has one of the better supporting casts in that regard. Each bounty hunter companion lines up nicely with one of the major ways to play the bounty hunter yourself - you get the consummate professional, the greedy scoundrel, the honorable warrior, the hardcase with a soft center, and the psycho for hire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

Okay, so, the greedy scoundrel is obviously Gault. The psycho is the angry tumor. The honorable warrior is our mandalorian buddy. but Mako and Blizz don't fit as a hardcase with a soft center nor a consummate professional.

Eh, Mako actually is a pretty solid professional - she loves it when you're greedy, but she tends to get peeved when you don't do what you're hired to do. Most of the dark side decisions she approves of are ones where it's what you were hired to do, like the Rakata device in the Tatooine storyline where the good option is to say it's too dangerous and destroy it, but the dark side option is to bring it back for the Empire. You were hired for the latter, so it's what Mako approves of. She's pretty consistent about it throughout the game - get money, and do what you were hired for.

Blizz, eh, fair enough. He's more of a kid tagging along with the gang than anything else, but he's the closest fit to the pure LS bounty hunter, who in my read puts up a good tough guy act but when you get down to it is a total softie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For those wondering, yes, every class has a different way of being nudged towards Rishi. Most are less dramatic than the Warrior's.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Catsworth posted:

I've only actually done Rishi on my Bounty Hunter, but was planning on showing off at least one other thing on Rishi on Atronie anyway so might as well! Didn't know the intros were different, that's neat.

Bounty Hunters, for example, find themselves looking up high-priced bounties to go after and grow concerned when every single one is listed as being on Rishi - out of a list of thousands. Mako agrees something is fishy, so you go off to Rishi to investigate. Imperial Agents on the other hand realize that someone with some very expensive hardware is trying to track their starship's movements and trace the signals back to Rishi, so they decide to go see who's taken an interest in their movement.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Paused posted:

That's a real neat scene. And its bonkers 7/8ths of the players wont see it.

No, just 7/8 of classes. Most people who play TOR have played multiple classes for their story. You're not locked into one class for your account, and quite a lot of people in the game have the shiny marker saying they've completed the class story for all eight classes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Strange that the Sith is the one who gets the clearest SAVE THE GALAXY motivation.

There's a reason the Warrior gets the clearest vision, but we won't be getting to that until another planet after this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gnome de plume posted:

You can't rule the galaxy with an iron fist if someone else destroys it first. That's just insulting.

The Warrior gets almost this exact line in Fallen Empire if you're LS: "The masses cannot fear you if there are no masses."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please no Fallen Empire spoilers. It's not that far off.

Alrightie. It's not like there's an interesting story to spoil anyway. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

koolkevz666 posted:

Awww you didn't go with the option to play along, its just so fun and hammy to play up yourself as a big bad pirate gang lord. Grrr...

The inquisitor is goddamn amazing with that approach, given that "chewing on the scenery with a huge slice of ham" is their default tone of voice anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Catsworth posted:

This really is where things starting getting real good. I love Rishi, and Raider's Cove is an awesome area. Places that are mostly town but also have quests and places for you to run around in always make me happy. One of the upcoming planets is also probably one of my favorites in the game.

Biggest disappointment is that you can't do the story missions multiplayer anymore. :(

Sadly, I feel just the opposite - Rishi is where I feel the quality of the game's writing starts to decline across the board continuing up through the current expansion, in part due to the problem Angry Salami mentioned. I don't like the Revanites as villains, I don't like Revan himself or how he's handled, or how they lead into the next story arc which I feel is downright bad. Rishi is amusing but it's very one-note and a lot of the quests feel rather forced to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It has its good points and its bad points, and I won't hesitate to make fun of the latter.

Still, it's better than what comes next in my opinion. Rishi at least has a lot of funny moments. The same can't be said for the next two planets or the full-on expansion after those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

koolkevz666 posted:

I kind of feel sorry for Bioware's writers I mean writing for jedi/sith is rather easy any other class can have its problems.

Writing for Jedi and Sith is easy. Writing them well outside certain well-trodden archetypes is hard. I always point to the Light Side Warrior and the Jedi Consular as the really interesting force-user stories in this game. Jedi Knight, dark side Warrior, and Sith Inquisitor - I feel they're all competently written (less so the Inquisitor, but made up for it by excellent voice acting), but that's in large part because they're very traditional Star Wars archetypes that are so established and easy to write.

Revan in general - and especially another villain we'll get to later - summarizes most of my problems with how Star Wars tends to write the Force. There's no real explanation for what he can do, no clearly defined limits, and his motives and methods are a confusing mess of Force gibberish.

• Locked thread