Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Quinine better avenge the giant space dodecahedron in the Jedi Temple on Jolunes behalf should Mort or his crew cause it any damage.

Glad to see this still trucking on. Do not believe I got around to saying in the last threads, how much I've enjoyed following these runs all these years(!!), so thanks to all the players for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I'd be amused if a cutscene triggers in these flash points which is basically just the intro video to the game, and the players are then faced with a level one enemy with basic equipment, as if you're facing off against against someone playing the game for the very first time who is late to the party and thus in well over his head from the get go.

Nice to see Jolune back for the end end game also. Especially considering she has a fair bit of history with our other two survivors with Mort and Quinnie.

Minor bit of house keeping PoptartsNinja; in the OP before your picture of the 3 of you, it still says 'two' remain.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Have we actually met Jensyn or Darth Soverus before? I'm guessing Soverus is just some new council member to replace one of those you lot have been killing recently, as gotta get a boss fight to finish the trip. But I get the impression were supposed to know who Commander Jensyn is, or have I missed something?

Also as this is 'Shadows of Revan' stuff, and Theron Shan has popped up; how common knowledge is it in universe he and his mother are descendants of Revan?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I feel a touch silly asking questions about Jensyn now as if he was going to be an actual character rather than just some nobody to pop up once each story to offer up vague forshadowy dialogue before dying.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So am I correct in assuming the stuff on Manaan goes down basically the same when playing Republic, except of course Theron sends you down there and Lana gets you back out? Or should I just wait to see what happens to Quinnie there in his next update?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
It's a good job these guys who are all about using Raktan technology are not using the Raktan technology that forces ships to crash land on this planet. Especially as they are, I assume, being led by the guy who turned it off last.

I forget all about the Star Forge Tech on Nar Shadar that was mentioned, I'll have to re read the updates, but it's nice they reference past events like that. Was it a quest exclusive to Marauders or can anyone do it and get extra dialogue here? I know the Empire players already have exclusive extra stuff awhile back with them being able to do the Revan stuff on Dromund Kas.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
This is essentially echoing the stuff in the Mr Plinket reviews, but would it have been too much to ask for the unstable looking design of the lightsaber in Force Awakens to be a unique thing, and be a visual representation of its user rather than 'saber configuration number 3781 that has been around for millennia in both Jedi and Sith Orders as detailed in wookipedia article https://www.starwarsfans/fuckyou.bs'

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Is he checking his Twitter?

I could check wookipedia I guess, but I don't think I want to. Why on space-earth would Biowear decide going to a place these things are was a good idea.

That's a real neat scene. And its bonkers 7/8ths of the players wont see it.
So is that the first lines your companions have had lines in this? And how long since the Yeti actually had a line outside of his personal conversations?

Paused fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 12, 2016

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

No, just 7/8 of classes. Most people who play TOR have played multiple classes for their story. You're not locked into one class for your account, and quite a lot of people in the game have the shiny marker saying they've completed the class story for all eight classes.
That's interesting. Having followed the tread(s) for awhile I'm aware of the fact a player can have multiple characters/classes on a single account, but it surprises me it's the status quo to do so. I'd assumed the vast majority of players would just stick with the solo character. I suppose it would make sense for at the least a lot players to have a republic character and empire one now I think about it.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The owls are great. I want to replace Broonmark with one. :colbert:
Yeah, I'm sure they're a real hoot.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Should have guessed she'd finally make an appearance on the Bird Planet considering.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
No, I was just making a joke, that might actually just be wrong; I was assuming that ship is the Ebon Hawk and it debuts in this game on the planet with a bird theme. I instantly, at looking at it assumed it was the Hawk with a graphical update, but actually on second look maybe not. Oh well.

But yeah, nice little bit from Vette there. Did a double check to confirm that was a ingame line and not one of yours. Nice to see the companions are getting bits again. Considering their silence on Korriban/Tython/Manan I had figured they hadn't bothered to get any of the VAs back for this expansion.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So how much does Vik give you there? Enough for a pack of space gum or even less? I'm going to guess it doesn't even give half of the amount needed for one of the gifts you need to give him to trigger it, after telling him to gently caress off in every conversation.

Dr. Deduun wasn't that Hutt on Republic Makeb was it?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I feel I'm asking this a lot, but that section felt very 'Sith Warrior' specific. Would everyone get different people to give, and hand in, that quest to?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know Atronie and Quinine will have some sort of update, I hope Moon will find time to show off the agent's version (but if not, it's cool), and I sincerely hope we'll see Jolune's mission because the Jedi Consular's is the best of the lot (the Warrior's is the probably worst, unless the Bounty Hunter or Trooper get utterly boned. Again).

Ah neat. I was going to ask if any of the others were good, but I held off as I was hoping after the request earlier to see some of the other Rishi intros that this may come to happen. I'm looking forward to them.

Cythereal posted:

All the class quests here ask you to look at the 1-50 class story, and ask how you feel about it and what you've learned or decided.

This is kind of great for a an MMO I feel having very little experience first hand with the genre. I guess I kind of got that vibe from Morts version of it, but honestly at this point anything remotely clever I'm just assuming its from you lp'ers added stuff.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Did that actually accomplish anything? I'm guessing they are going to help when you finally get around to doing... you know, whatever it is you end up doing, but at the moment that felt pointless? She wants the Revanites gone so you should go get the Revanites just like you were doing/are going to do anyway. Seems like you've done alot of stuff to hit nothing but dead ends lead wise since that intercepted Revan Holo-call was it?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Ah. Nice extra meaning to your added text about killing Malgus then beyond the whole 'not a human thing' with that intro in mind.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was saving that hat to be completely out of place on Yavin! :argh:

Oh well. Great minds and all that.
I wouldn't have worried. Everyone could have done a thing and this...
Would still be pretty perfect.

I don't know if someone in Bioware has a thing with Space Pirates. I know in everyones favorite Bioware RPG for the NDS thats token Blue thing party member isn't an Asari or a Twilek, but a Hedgehog... I am of course talking about Sonic Chronicles, they show up. After the plot in that really, really starts to go off the rails you get invaded by a bunch of Knuckles re-colours Space pirates, complete with eye patch and Jolly roger motifs. Your sarcastic party member all but breaks the 4th wall pointing out how it does not make a lick sense, before Sonic of course just tells you to roll with it as its funny.

I liked the small conversation between the troops about why so many people have joined up with Revan. And it is a good question. We as an audience love Revan as of course he's our PC from one game, and hailed as a mastermind technician in the next... but what in game does the every man want to join him for? His raison d'être seems to be to destroy the emperor at any cost... which I guess is understandable as the Emp litterally wants to end existance. But is that what Revans people believe and fight for?

PoptartsNinja posted:

You should see the way Theron glares at me.
I wonder wh....

PoptartsNinja posted:

There’s a redundant monitoring system in the equipment you’re installing. You could activate the subsystem, setting it to track Republic chatter and movements.
Oh right yeah.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I look forward to Lam-64 showing off those bounty hunter things when he/she/them get there.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
...that's actually something I hadn't considered, and is kinda a cool blending of real life views and in universe 'lore'. Fair enough; everyones Revan is their Revan and is equally correct as anyone elses. And iirc there was a line back on Dromund Kass that supported that along the lines of 'No one knows Revans gender' that I'm sure Mort rolled his eyes at. (I mean I'm sure there is a book or severnteen, but screw books.)

I still dunno why so many droves of people are willing to follow this chump though.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
You did get me to do a, 'wait what?!' for a sec there.

Traxus IV posted:

Nope, my Revan was a woman :colbert: Everything in this game where Revan shows up I've been reading him as some doofy imposter sullying her name and reputation. I'm looking forward to him getting smashed up real bad.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Same here too. It's either some deluded imposter or some elaborate Jedi hoax trying to cash in on the name for whatever reason.
I have a wonderful set piece in my mind where this is a start of a over the top, completely indulgent fan service, cheese-fest scenario where Bioware does a complete 180, and has a bunch of alternative Revan PCs from 'alternative universes' come in, that team up, as this 'help' you need in order to tear down the 'Canon' Revan. Because even Biowear realises this current incarnation is kinda lame.

But I'm feeling this is actually an attempt at a 'have your cake and eat it' scenario that doesn't go to 11 out of 10 on the ridiculous scale so just kinda comes across as weak. Probably because Poptarts is treating this as it is as dumb as it looks.

On the bright side either one of those choices seems like an opportunity to bring any of the old gang back for a bit if they are still around. Build camaraderie between the two sides seems like a great opportunity in the single player focused post game to do a thing.

I feel this has already been answered in the thread but that operation; can you still not pair up with cross faction teams?

Paused fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 26, 2016

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I was going to say, from what I recall of the thread... over all opinion of the story at this seemed positive? Though Maybe the focus of that was on Pirate land. Which did seem better as they we're putting off having to talk about Revan in the Shadows of Revan.

And in general I don't want fanservice stuff, I'd prefer new ideas. But this is the Shadow of Revan..? I guess after people in the thread made me realise, my, as someone who is completely ignorant to roleplaying, Revan being generic Light side Male isn't universal. And seriously making a, (or two?) character(s) to represent your fanbase is a horrible idea.

So my mind went don't make it serious. You've just gone from space pirate land... you're already pretty camp. Just go all in. Wookiepedia can fix the details.

I dunno. I feel I'm just starting to see the difference between making a product that will sell to fanboys and making a product that is good or even just a good fanservice.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Well we're 4 years and a month in at this point. I think you can have a few weeks off every now and then!

Looking forward to both updates from the 2 of you!

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Wow, Hoth felt tiny when presented as a single update, even if it was a long one. How many hours of gameplay was that?

Is Yuun an actual party member? He somewhat feels like he could be a NPC who stays on the ship at the moment, like some of the folks Jolune picked up for her Rift Alliance.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
...that was it?

How did Revan get so many people to join him? The end-game is so focused on Republic/Empire team ups being (understandably I guess) drat near impossible to do. Why did people join him? And if the answer is the obvious; 'cos galactic wide extinction'... why doesn't he just go public? Or at the very least just contact key figures in each faction and propose a small alliance of a strike team or something. We see in this he can get a load of people to follow him anyway. I'm sure at the least his great grand children will be at least willing to entertain the idea.

I hope I'm missing something, so this may be wrong... But Revans plan was to accelerate the war to get lots of people killed quickly, so the Emperor could eat them and revive himself, so Revan could fight him to death but for real this time. (To be fair, he did work with Mission. No way some Blue Twilek is going to get the job done.)
Despite the fact the last two times he met the emperor he got his rear end kicked.

IIRC KotoR2 (and Scorchies LP of it.) Revan met the Emperor, realised he was too strong for himself/the galaxy to stop him, and set out to make the 'Old Republic' powerful enough to fight back. Either through conquering it and remaking it in Revans image. Or forcing it, for lack of better words, to evolve it through 'natural selection', by fighting it himself.
And, some what ironically, this failed... due to an Republic/Empire team up, albeit an unintentional one. The Republic sent a strike team in to distract Revan, and the Empire essentially used the opportunity to blow him up.

This time he wants to punch him in the face till he dies. But only after he kills a bunch of people for no reason to destroy his prep time. Despite the fact the emperor is back, the ending victory is in that had Revan succeeded, he'd be even stronger. That doesn't make any sense?

But then the most frustrating thing is there is something of a mastermind chess master plot line in there based of the climax! His actions do actually cause the two factions to unite. Revan sacrificing himself, and god knows how many lives in order to get the Republic and Empire to work together to confront the greater threat as a stronger whole is KotOR2 Revan.
Even if it did last a whole 20 minutes. Revan having grand over ambitious plans not work out is consistent too for the most part.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Those dorks in the woods? Sure I can buy them going all in. But at the start there were Dark Council and Jedi Generals involved right? Or were these supposedly super powerful, famous people also really dedicated to that group out outcasts?

Again, I can get why we the audience wants to see Revan... Fanservice! But they never really show in universe, why Revan is considered worthy of devotion.

I guess it fits in star wars though... Just like we're told Anakin is all powerful, because he ends up as beloved character Darth Vader... yet we never see Anakin be 'special'. Revan is a super bad guy as he says so and people feel so, and he is as bioware has stated it as so.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
So what does that do? Why is it important?

Regardless, that would apparently be the last 'thing' to do before you just go and kill the guy. Sure, the penultimate quest showing off *again* the big bads power to remind you of the threat he represents makes sense. But we seem to spend the whole of this expansion chasing a guy who is apparently the ultimate challenge for the galaxy... yet we've not seen him do a drat thing?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

koolkevz666 posted:

Revan or I guess dark Side Revan's plan was to bring back the Emperor some how into a physical body and destroy him once and for all in some fashion as I guess he can't be destroyed in Force ghost/spirit form. I don't think he was planning on using the deaths of republic/empire troops just Revan worshipers maybe as I am fairly sure he expected to devastate or at least keep both sides busy at Rishi leaving them distracted from his plans but of course we the players ruin this.
I think I get what you're saying... but isn't that worse? I'm only going sacrifice those who follow me, and so I can do this in peace I'm going to make a bunch of other guys kill each other somewhere else.

koolkevz666 posted:

As for why does he have so many followers. Well even after 300 years of history the name of Revan for the Republic and Darth Revan for the Empire still holds a lot of weight and awe behind it. Not to mention that there are probably lots of soldiers and people on both sides vastly fed up with their leaders that siding with Revan would be more appealing. Throw in a dose of extinction for the galaxy and you have a pretty good argument for supporting him. Plus he actually you know tries to get things done.

You know sure; I can buy that. It just be nice to have a scene demonstrating it.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Wait. The Emperors name is pronounced Vi-poo poo? It almost sound like a poor anti nintendo buzz word.

Seems a nice introduction to a story thread. Do I dare ask if they ever give any explanation at all to who the Emp can and can not take control of? Let alone one that is consistent and makes sense?

I really like the outfit too. I dunno, just seems to fit Mort.

And for gameplay questions; Despite the title, this feels outside of the Revan expansion and on to the next expansion that I'm aware of? I assume at launch of 'Revan' this wasn't immediately available after Yavin?
And, assuming Quinnie is indisposed with that box, how different are things here on Republic? I can guess Theron is here rather than Lana, but we still on Ziost?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

...what's coming up is the proverbial giant space flea from nowhere.

So, business as usual then?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Ok, neat. Thanks for the explanations.

Yeah Lana seems pretty decent. This was her first lightsaber showing right? I rolled my eyes when I saw the screenshot as I assumed she was going to get an OTT 'also badass in saber fights' scene... but she didn't really. Looked like she got the drop on them, and could press that advantage to eliminate the opponents efficiently. Seems a good fit.

I do wish the people in the various design departments had spoken to each other a little more so her hair doesn't clip through her clothes but can't have everything.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Quinnie died with an OD on skulls anyway.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
This game will never end Poptarts, nor will these threads. You're Mort now.... Foreverrrrrrr.......

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Dolash posted:

It's kind of neat the way the fleet always shows up in those orderly little lines and formations. Very distinctive...

Makes me think of the Borg, in a good way. It feels very alien, and is definitely giving me an; 'Uh-oh, we're very probably in trouble here.'

I mean, not a huge fan of the fact there seems to be, yet another, even more Super fleet out there that is unrelated to everything else previously established at this point. But I suppose that may be given some satisfactory explanation. That or I'm just over thinking a Star Wars thing. They have GridFleet/Starkiller base in KotFE/Force Awakens because they are the bad guy and we need a thing to blow up!

So we had a time jump since Zoist? Or have these two wacky kids been a thing all along, but no one mentioned it? I take it the attack on Korriban referenced in the game are referring to the events depicted in the trailer?
(Kinda feels like one of those thing you various LP'ers would foreshadow or the like, but this time the contents just so new that you can't and thus.... the story how Biowear presents it. You can't save it this time.)

So, Darth Nox and Mort walk in to the council Chambers and kill a couple of Dark council members. The following week Mario and Jollune walk into the council chambers following an invasion and kill, er, a guy. The day after, Mort re invades Korriban and kills another guy in the council chambers again. Next Tuesday, the Emperors sons invade Korriban and kill a Twiek Sith, who based her image off Vettes post freedom freshers years period. Who I assume was a person from the books or what ever like 'Torch' was during the Shadows of Revan expansion. I'm guessing following Revans trip there in the original game ended with an extinction event, this kind of thing just became known as a weekday?

Catsworth posted:

You know, I never thought about it, but I've yet to go through this content as a Republic Character. Are you on a Republic Ship and meet with Satele otherwise?

At this point, I genuinely feel this wouldn't make sense. It just feels like Sith infighting of the week, that Sith deal with. It actually strikes me as odd that a Jedi in the vanilla game killed this guy first go around. (Or second? I forget exactly what Mort did to his spirit on that Mystics planet. And, I'm not re reading any of that damned planets updates again.)

Quick edit; Oh you do end up on Mars ship regardless? Ha! I guess the republic do barely give a drat then!

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is, they also attack Tython. It's supposed to be big and shocking but the problem is: the players just did the same thing. Killing a Darth Talon lookalike doesn't make Arcann and Thexan look dangerous, if anything it makes them look weaker than the player characters since we had it tougher.

I had kinda assumed Tython or Corruscant had been hit too, with the whole revealing of the flags to Shitate thing... but yeah no kidding, considering every character invaded both force user homeworlds, regardless of faction. I mean I assume the Jedi warrior may have invaded Dromund Kass or Korriban? And it would mean something?

wiegieman posted:

The Eternal Fleet is nothing new, this is Star Wars and the bad guy has Another Goddamn Superweapon. Only this one is "lots and lots of spaceships".

I guess I'm just a little disappointed that with rise of the Hut Cartel, things had happened. The Empire, whilst once the dominant force, had been severely set back with infighting, now its on the back foot. But as established in the republic side, real world resources are no asset to the emperor, so his threat is still out there despite having the upper hand in the war.

Oh but never mind the emperor has both his magic and tangible assets now too so no nobody accomplished anything, please buy the next chapter where things really get going here have a new level 60 character why didnt we just make kotor3 cos moneyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, that was pretty neat. Maybe I'm a sucker for these type of stories/intros but Biowear does seem to do impending inevitable doom, and the end of the status quo quite well from my limited experience. Did have a small feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach knowing our hero wasn't going to win this time, similar to ME2 of course.
I think I can guess how Mort survives based off one of the events in the early game I have been spoilled on, but I hope Marr makes it out ok too, even if it would cheapen that ending scene. Him becoming a companion really made Mort really feel like one of the major figures of the galaxy, rather than just another grunt.

That said, while Mort teaming up with Marr seems really fitting for this scene... one of the Republic characters from these LPs in his place would be hilarious. Dark lord of the Sith following around book worm Jolunne would be fantastic.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

PTN’s Note: This is one of the reasons I say the game’s not as pretty as it could be. See the moon on the left? See how it either didn’t load in or is somehow completely transparent?
You could say, that's no moon.

Well, I was happy to see that Marr survived, and then instantly let down that he was killed, again. If he is dead dead, at least he went out quite well. For what was essentially a replacement character, the silly shoulder pad wearing guy did grow on me quite quickly.

I'm sure glad 2 of the 3 characters the trailer focused on are dead and definitely not coming back though. At least the Emperor did actually get out of the trailer ok, if not the prologue.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Which video from Chapter 1? You posted a bunch!
This brief exchange has made me consider the Emperor a bit like the player in Dungeon Keeper just hopping around from body to body though, so it made me smile.

Speaking of videos though, I'd deffinetly say this one is worth watching. Feels like there are a few things that can't possibly come across clearly with out screenshots. And the visuals are kinda good!

So the Emperor commits his most hideous act yet... he forgot Treek. It's a good job Nox isn't doing this expansion as HK-5# would not let that stand.

The fights here remind me of the old KOTOR2 thread though.

Scorchy, a long time ago in a LP far far away posted:

And that was the climax of Act I. It's a brave decision to cap the events of Telos and Peragus off with a huge, sprawling conversation tree. I think other games, any games that have less confidence in their writers than this one, would have chosen to have a boss fight at this stage instead. Atris would have talked to you, then attacked you; it would be the typical thing to do in this genre.
To be fair he then stripped naked and wrestled a bunch of athletic twins, but w/e. The fights, outside Marr seem a little out of place, even if it is supposed to be a reprentation of 'your will to survive'. Like the players would get bored with the talking and wanted to hit a big monster with a stick.
Sounded like Marr is dead dead then. Oh well. His Dream fight interesting in any way?

There differences in a Republic players experience here? They on dream Tython/Couriscent and fight Jennifer Hale instead?

Also has Mort always had the same eye colour as the Emperor and his kids or this a new thing? I'm too lazy to check after scouring the LP archive for Scorchys quote. I thought it was on the return to Dantooine.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
*Saved the Animals* +50 ls pts 'PoptartsNinja'

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
ha!

Well you missed, 'Greetings from the Eternal throne', to keep this thread relevant, but other than that; nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Lamas powers have improved. She fixed her hair!

R'andayn's droid right?

• Locked thread