Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
When I first played through this I couldn't help but think how utterly typical Sith-like thinking this assault is -- one "masterstroke" that wins everything forever because everyone's morale will be utterly crushed, for sure. Just one single victory to personally win the entire war.

Never mind that the last five zillion attempts at this on whatever scale didn't work out, those were all losers who failed and *my* plan is actually *perfect*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

An interesting note about this story arc: after the girl on Republic Makeb and guy on Imperial Makeb, Lana Beniko (the blonde Sith lady) and Theron Shan are TOR's first proper bisexual romance options. Knights of the Fallen Empire adds another bisexual male option, but Lana remains the one and only LGB love interest for women in the entire game unless you count that Republic-only girl from Makeb.

Lana and Theron and their respective romance arcs are also actually interesting and believably written, especially compared to that one girl and that one guy whose names we've already forgotten and can't be arsed to look up.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I hear ya.

That said, it might just be a great deal trickier to implement than we're assuming. As I recall it took the team behind City of Heroes over a year or so to shake out the various interesting bugs caused by cross-faction teaming in specific co-op zones.

... I miss that game. :(

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

As do I, it was better than anyone gave it credit for.

City of Heroes still has good systems that modern MMOs haven't completely copied / stolen (like sidekicking, although TOR's now come very close since they lock you into an 'effective maximum level' for whatever planet you're on so you'll always earn experienced doing content.

* Sidekicking, followed by Exemplar, followed by "Hey, gently caress it, just set everyone to the level of the mission owner because the players are getting a bit sick of playing Mentor Tetris"
* Uncoupling aesthetics and game mechanics
* Ease of travel

... I don't play many MMOs; I think cross-faction teaming is still incredibly rare -- The Secret World and Age Of Conan more or less sidestep it by making 'faction' not actually be a thing other than some minor bits of additional story and the PVP zones; I don't think any other MMOs have managed...

* Superheroes. DCUO and Champions Online try but neither of them manages to keep me interested very long despite being supposedly free to play.

I really, really want City of Titans to succeed, but at this point hope's wearing thin.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
... And given that nowadays you can bring a Companion along on a flashpoint - and that I know for a fact they added dialogue between HK-47 and HK-51 if you bring the latter along to The False Emperor - I now have to wonder what happens if a smuggler brings Bowdaar...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
If there's one thing the Shadow of Revan expansion has in spades, it's absolutely gorgeous scenery.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Stop reminding me how much I missed CoH :cry:

The pain will never quite go away, I'm afraid.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Ah, Tanno Vik.

Still not the *worst* companion around, but a firm data point for the theory that there was some mandatory "every class has to have at least one NPC companion that absolutely *no one* will like" rule written down somewhere...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
My Agent just went all out - got herself a yarr accent, a long trenchcoat, and the biggest hat she could take off of some blustering pirate's still smoking corpse. It was awesome.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Whoever could this mysterious woman be! Suspense!

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
The Dark Side doesn't deconstruct the code, it rejects it like a sulky teenager yelling SCREW YOU DAD YOU CAN'T MAKE ME.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The Emperor is after bigger game than the Dark Council.

Haven't we already seen the Jedi Knight plotline play out to where his goals are revealed?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know Atronie and Quinine will have some sort of update, I hope Moon will find time to show off the agent's version (but if not, it's cool), and I sincerely hope we'll see Jolune's mission because the Jedi Consular's is the best of the lot (the Warrior's is the probably worst, unless the Bounty Hunter or Trooper get utterly boned. Again).

Updates are slightly delayed because of overtime at work and some technical trouble. My mouse has decided that sometimes singleclicks mean no clicks at all, and other times it means I'm clicking six times. It sometimes does this while I'm holding the button down or dragging files.

Edit: I will be showing off part of the costume from this arc once we get to the next planet in the chain.

Can't speak for smuggler, but Trooper does not get boned.

God DAMMIT Garza.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Eh, the Battle For Ilum and The False Emperor together kind of finish up the Ilum story arc. Post-50 implies that they happened, and I think if you haven't done them beforehand some of the conversations are slightly different.

And the Prelude To Revan is a set of four flashpoints and some dressing that tell the story of how you discovered the Revanites and started hunting them.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Part of it may also be that, at least according to Zahn's books where I first encountered the material, it's fairly inferior for most purposes other than resisting lightsaber blows, so when 'sabers stop being a common thing to encounter on a regular basis, the stuff went out of fashion like horse buggy whip factories.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Right. Similarly, most current-era military and police body armor is relatively poor protection against, say, a Scottish Claymore wielded with murderous intent. Armor designs adapt to the threat environment; expensive stuff that protects against a threat that no longer occurs with any kind of regularity will get phased out pretty quick.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I kind of like Theron being really mad at Lana here; he got hurt because he let himself believe that a successful sith lord wouldn't hang him out as bait, even when he should know better. He probably would have been fine with it if she had asked him first, but it doesn't even occur to her.

I also got the sense that there wasn't time to ask when she saw the opportunity. And she's got a point in that the potential value was near priceless and she had good backup nearby to pull him out. And it paid off in spades.

So yeah, I get that he's annoyed with it and would have preferred to have been consulted, but I'd expect an SIS master spy to be a bit more pragmatic.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Marr still works, and he's still the second best Sith (after Vowrawn). I'm probably just still salty that Malgus went out like a whiny chump.

Eh. He saw his chance, he made his move, and he quite possibly might have gotten away with it if he hadn't immediately positioned himself as the top priority threat to both the Empire and the Republic.

I'm not sure if the Republic side Ilum arc is a spoiler, but if Malgus hadn't done what he did in the final cutscene, the Republic might very well have decided to leave him alone for the time being, and he could have snapped up a significant chunk of the Empire with little effort.

But he just had to be an rear end in a top hat about it and declare war on both sides simultaneously. He had a good plan and good resources, but as usual for plans made by Sith the biggest glaring flaw in the plan was, well, Sith being Sith.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

It's still Ziost. Vitiate actually picks it because it was one of the Empire's core worlds for a significant part of it's existence, and so has symbolic value.

Lana and Theron's roles stay the same no matter who you're playing as. Lana may be more snappish and hostile, but she also knows she needs you for this.

Mort refers to her as one of the maybe five competent people in the Empire for good reason.

Competent, pragmatic, focused, ruthless when she needs to be (and almost as importantly, not when she doesn't -- an aspect Sith in particular tend to have trouble with). She really is one of my favorite NPC characters.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Saresh proving that there's no situation so bad she can't make it worse.

I think it was mentioned in one of the Let's Play threads, but Saresh started out life as an Imperial slave, and after she escaped worked her way up through the Republic all the way to Supreme Chancellor pretty much solely on competence and determination.

She's very good at what she does most of the time, but don't expect her to make a decision of restraint when it looks like she can land a death blow on the Empire in a single stroke. And to be fair, the only agent trying to tell her differently is already in hot water because he's been keeping apparently crucial information from her.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

I love that of course an Imperial world already has a system set up to fry the entire population at a moment's notice...

Really, my only problem with that notion thematically is that I refuse to believe that it could exist for more than three years before *some* Sith or other learns about it and concludes that the ability to electrocute an entire planet's population with a single button push is just too beautiful not to use, and zap.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

Republic players are on Coroscant. Jedi fight Satele Shan. Smugglers fight Nok Drayden. I think Bounty Hunters fight Mandalore. Never checked who Agents and Troopers fight.

Troopers get to shoot General Garza, and I have to admit I enjoyed the opportunity.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

Since I finally did the HK-51 quest, so far only difference I've seen in the assorted HKs is 55 is more personable, 51's a bit more serious about his killing business and they both trashtalk the 47 as a crazy.

IIRC encountering HK-47 in either flashpoint he's in with HK-51 as companion (now that that's an option in story mode FPs) triggers some extra smacktalk dialogue.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Junkozeyne posted:

Saresh was chancellor and got overruled by the senate when the surrender happened. Her term has ended at the present time but she still rules through a puppet chancellor.

Also, every single senator that overruled her has since... "disappeared".

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
This is the point where I started seriously souring on Koth. OOCly it's probably understandable since he doesn't know but... Well, you'll see soon enough.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you knew what I do about him, you’d run. The man killed billions.
He was always good to Zakuul.
gently caress this ham-handed bullshit, you do not get to paint Emperor Planetkiller as a morally gray figure. Keeping the space-trains running is not a valid--

This is the point where I basically went "gently caress you, first chance I get I'm dropping you off on Ziost and leaving you there to bask in what your "Good to Zakuul" emperor has been to the rest of the galaxy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

Interest check: would there be any point in me showing off the final act of the JK story? Seeing as this whole game is about the Sith Emperor and all.

Go for it.

• Locked thread