Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Maybe he finds the secret of why the order that literally represents the good side in the universe produces so many powerful siths. But that would require that Bioware acknowledges that Kotor2 exists and had far superior writing (yes I'm still bitter) :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Escpecially when it was a plotpoint in kotor that technology like the star maps can repair themselves over time.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
They invent new and incredibly stupid superweapons all the time, maybe they just need to change their priorities a bit :v:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Considering that in every class/planet story you are literally the only competent person in the whole galaxy it only stays consistent that a few guys could be a huge threat :shrug:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
A bit of a shame really since both Kotor and Kotor2 had some comparatively large fight at the later stages where you would just mow them down with force lightning or force wave. Really hammered home the fact that that both Revan and the Exile were supposed to be absolute geniuses who can't even be touched by normal enemies.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The quest where you have to stop the droid is my favourite quest in the game just for how many players don't get what you are supposed to do there.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The flashpoint is just a giant waste of time. You spend more time running around from chamber to chamber than do any fighting, the 'story' is almost non-existant and to top that off the fights are incredibly boring too. You could have scrapped the whole flashpoint and nothing of value would have been lost.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
It's been 300 years since kotor2 iirc.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Remember when Revan was described as a strategical and tactical mastermind who was also recognized as a force prodigy with uniqe insight even by other powerful Jedi/Sith of the same era? Neither did Bioware :v:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Most of the things that 'ruin' the experience are developer incompetence (not fading to black for quite long enough so there's an obvious pop-in as all of the geometry loads, positioning background characters too close to the camera so their lightsaber effects flicker as their idle animation brings it on or off screen, etc).

But I will agree about cutscene direction being better. At least one (probably several) of the people involved really do some nice creative work with the camera.

It's just a pity they didn't fire Gratuitous rear end-Shot Jones.

The best things are stuff like standard animations not dealing very well with different weapon models so you have things like my Jedi consular holding her dual bladed lightsaber by the beam with one hand. All I could think about during that cutscene was ".... But I need that hand"

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The cinematic trailer for KotFE had Arcann, his brother and Zakuul's groundforces doing a little murdertrip around the galaxy before the outsider and Marr went exploring so there is precedent at least for Koth's story.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

wedgekree posted:

So currently the Republic is ruled over by the Chancellor who has greatly weakened powers and is nearing hte end of her term so the Senate mostly ignores her, and the majority of the known Dark COuncil has been wiped out and a relatively unknown/minor Sith is in charge of the Sith Empire as far as political games are?

And both sides have heavily exhausted militaries and crushed economies from the damage wreaked on them by the Infinite Fleet + the economic indemnities they're having to give, and most of thier energy otherwise is spent sparring with the other faction to try and gain small advantages with the remnants of thier military power?

Just trying to make sure I am (if inadverdantly) summarizing the current meta-political/strategic situation.

Saresh was chancellor and got overruled by the senate when the surrender happened. Her term has ended at the present time but she still rules through a puppet chancellor.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Get used to it, I'm afraid.

... Spoilers?

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 18, 2017

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I guess they wrote that scene mostly with the assumption of a Lana romance, especially since they brought up the options for a romance in shadows of revan & ziost with the sublety of a brick to the face. Bringing on the ~moral dilemma~ with the dark side option of the quick and easy path with the danger of more reliance of ghost dad versus the light side path of potential loss for making the 'moral' decision could be interesting if it would kill or seriously injure Lana depending on choice but as it is there is zero consequence.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Psion posted:

I agree with you. The idea of getting to fight your nemesis before the Inevitable Final Showdown isn't inherently bad, but cutscene ruling you to lose after you mechanically win the fight? Awful. Just as bad as an automatically unwinnable fight, really. By removing any consequences from player action you remove any reason to care at all unless you handle it very, very carefully.

but take heart, bioware keeps making the same mistake! :negative:

e: I think they did it right once - Jade Empire has a good one. Every other instance I can think of is bad or really bad. Thessia, anyone?

I liked the way trails of cold steel 1&2 handled those scenes were it was clear from a story perspective that you stand no chance but got some gameplay incentive to do a certain amount of damage or defeat a sidekick before you inevetably lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I would count the Jedi Knight's brief fall after the failed attempt at the Emperor's life a meaningful setback but then again you never saw any of that besides Biowate telling you that you were totally evil, believe me!!!

• Locked thread