Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

kaosdrachen posted:

When I first played through this I couldn't help but think how utterly typical Sith-like thinking this assault is -- one "masterstroke" that wins everything forever because everyone's morale will be utterly crushed, for sure. Just one single victory to personally win the entire war.

Never mind that the last five zillion attempts at this on whatever scale didn't work out, those were all losers who failed and *my* plan is actually *perfect*.

To be fair, the backstory does have it that the Republic folded in the last war after the Sith hit the Jedi temple on Coruscant, so there's at least precedent for this working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
In a nice touch, smuggler characters do actually get to point out they speak Wookiee.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There's a lore entry somewhere that notes that the Empire's actually better than the Republic about recognizing droids as fully sapient beings - because the Empire doesn't have a problem admitting "Yeah, we got robot slaves. So what? We got regular slaves too!", while the Republic has to convince itself droids are nothing like organic beings to justify treating them as tools...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Remember, these were originally group content, and with the average PUG, five guys is a formidable threat...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
One of the problems of every class now getting the same basic content is that it's hard to write a story that works well for everyone. Exhibit A, Rishi - Visiting space-Tortuga to masquerade as a pirate king works fine for, say, the smuggler, who may actually be a pirate king at this point, but it's damned odd for characters like the inquisitor, who should be fairly public figures by this point...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Not every companion has ambient comments in Shadow of Revan, but I think all the romancable companions do, along with a few of the 'gibberish' speaking aliens. I think even Treek has a line or two.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Mandalorian's whole thing in this era is going through cycles of "We'll prove our awesomeness by taking on Jedi!"/"Oh crap, we got our rear end kicked by the Jedi!", so it makes sense they would design their equipment with light-sabers in mind.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Plus, even if you are pure Dark Side, "Let's tear down the old power structure and start from scratch!" is going to be pretty appealing for anyone with any sense of ambition. Your main enemy in both Sith stories is the old guard, why would you stand by them?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Wasn't Revan meant to have been the Emperor's prisoner for a couple hundred years? It's been a while since kotor.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Zuckuss, one of the Empire Strikes Back bounty hunters, is also Gand. Zuckuss has been the subject of more than a few indignities; his name was accidentally swapped with his partner, 4-LOM, on the original action figures. He and 4-LOM at least got a decent story in "Tales of the Bounty Hunters", where he was presented as a skilled Findsman, like Yuun and Qrygg - I believe his story actually predates Qrygg - only for that background to then be completely ignored in The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, where he was presented as the naive idiot of the bounty hunter's guild. Fortunatly, nobody can actually be bothered remembering the Bounty Hunter Wars and its endless array of pointless backstabbing, so hopefully his reputation has survived intact...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I love that of course an Imperial world already has a system set up to fry the entire population at a moment's notice...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I kind of like that, actually - it fits with the Empire's style that prior to this, he was always just The Emperor, spoken of with awe and reverence, but after Yavin, we have Always Been At War with him and now everyone refers to him as just, you know, that guy Vitiate.

(Presumably the Sith Inquisitor and Talos had an exciting adventure off-screen searching ruins to find out what the hell the Emperor called himself before he assumed absolute power so the Empire would have something to put on the new propaganda posters...)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
They should have tied it into act one a bit more - have one of the Havoc defectors survive, and have the Gauntlet be a Republic weapon he stole and the Empire reverse engineered. Then have Garza be all "The defectors know all our strategies and tactics, so you need to recruit some weirdos that are unpredictable" to justify why you need Yuun and Jerkass.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's one of the best flashpoints they've done - lots of interesting bosses, and the trash mobs come in large enough numbers that they're not just speed bumps.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'm convinced at this point Bioware's writing the game with an Imperial character assumed as the default. Like, this episode's hilarious if you're playing a smuggler - as a joint operation, the Empire sends its top leaders, ships and troops, while the Republic contributes... some guy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I do kinda like that it's the regular guy who thinks it's all destiny and fate, and the Force-users who are the skeptics...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Vowrawn does get name-checked later on, with confirmation that he is the current minister of logistics under Acina. Presumably he was still on the run when the treaty was signed, and only reemerged from hiding later?

Me, I feel sorry for Darth Ravage, the only other starting member of the Dark Council still kicking, who cleverly seemed to realize that the key to survival was never interacting with the PCs if at all possible. But now, apparently, he's dead, killed off-screen. It's a hard life, being a supporting character...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Karrid's rise and fall takes place entirely off-screen between chapters - Hadra goes down in the Republic Corellia quests, and Acina's already on the Dark Council in Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There's a couple of times in KotFE where they tease you with Arcann's death, which is really annoying. He's such a bland excuse for a villain, unexpectedly killing him off early in the arc would be the most interesting thing they could have done with him.

• Locked thread