Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Glazius posted:

Good lord, what a stunning defense against having your will manipulated: being so incompetent you can't be trusted to do anything. I am agog, sir.

it worked for the GCPD in the 60s Batman show, obviously it'll work here???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I have bad memories of the Zann Consortium too. CORRUPTINGGGGG your will to continue playing against this Original Faction Do Not Steal.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Who do you need besides the droid on a Wookiee? Honestly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

"actually, gently caress you, I have this thing called agency"
+darkside points

oooooooh TOR.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Montegoraon posted:

I thought the superweapon here was the same one from the Inquisitor story line. But no, that was a different weapon that was almost completely identical in appearance, except it fired a red beam instead of blue.

Bioware sense ... tingling ...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I've seen some posts in the TSF about recovering bad Shadowplay recordings, if you mean lost in the sense of corrupted, as opposed to lost in the sense of "didn't bother recording when I told it to," another thing it likes to do.

every time I hear about a shadowplay update I'm glad I locked my updates folder to read-only so it'll never update from my current, perfectly functional, version until and unless I want to. which, given the stories, I don't!

Rorahusky posted:

Eh, The Force Awakens was decent, but the whole subplot about Starkiller Station was easily the weakest part of the film. It probably wouldn't have taken much of a rewrite to remove that entire thing from the film and focus the plot more on the 'Find out what happened to Luke' thread that made up the main story.

wouldn't be a remake of ANH, so no, can't get rid of it. :v:

Also I'd argue the main story of TFA is torch-passing (and, y'know, trying to restart the movie franchise), so while finding Luke was the plot device that got it going, you're kidding if you don't think Rey and Finn weren't the main story characters. As a direct ANH analogue, the main story of ANH was not finding Obi-wan, it was passing the torch to Luke, Leia, and Han. It's not a perfect analogy, but starting a Star Wars trilogy with the older generation moving aside so the younger one takes the fore is, well, right out of ANH.

Cythereal posted:

The new gunslinger and sniper abilities for Eternal Throne were revealed today. Gunslingers graduate from kicking someone in the groin to shooting them there instead. Snipers just shoot an electrical dart thing from their wrist.

I dunno how Quinine is going to handle that. He's been booting people in the groin for so long, how will he ever move to the advanced tier of shooting them?

...didn't that get made fun of, way back when? "Why do you carry these guns and kick them instead?"

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 28, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Siegkrow posted:

Quin is a scoundrel, scoundreks get to keep the nutcracker kick.

ah, okay. that's good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dolash posted:

It's kind of neat the way the fleet always shows up in those orderly little lines and formations. Very distinctive

Based on this and the fact that you immediately get boarded, let me say PTN's reference to LOGH was directly on-target so far :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dolash posted:

Actually taking another look at the fleet just makes me think of Space Invaders - if you came at them from the right angle you'd only have to deal with the leading edge of ships at a time.

I'm just going to put in a bet now that literally nobody ever does this. In LOGH, you actually can't (everyone: watch LOGH) but in Star Wars, nobody does because it'd ask too many awkward questions.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dolash: fair enough about not getting into it; logh is a really, really slow burn. It takes some investment to get into it - and that's a lot of time to keep watching something hoping you start to like it more later. As for melee weapons, boarding capital ships, and swashbuckling, well, those guys got introduced in episode 6 ;)

PoptartsNinja posted:

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 2: Biff the Understudy

:laugh: nicely done. My favorite character.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Psycho Landlord posted:

You mean Jason, right?

Let's keep the six year old joke dead and buried where it belongs, thanks. Or at least confined to ME threads.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Doctor Reynolds posted:

If this expansion is "kill all the jerk companions in the game", that'd be pretty cool.

the fanservice fans actually want out of Bioware!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Whining about fate and not taking any responsibility for his choices.

really, I was more impressed with the Adam Jensen school of cutscene competence striking again!

you'd think they could engineer an actual way for Arcann to get the drop on you considering he's supposed to be the Big Bad, but :effort:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Having a reactive villain isn't bad, provided they surround themselves with competent people to give their threat some actual weight and/or have someone proactive on their side to be a threat on their behalf.

The problem is that Arcann is a villain you crush in combat who turns around and beats you in a cutscene. Yes, that's an RPG thing, but I consider it terrible game design.

Sadly, this won't be the last time someone just casts 'Teleport to Outsider' this chapter.

I agree with you. The idea of getting to fight your nemesis before the Inevitable Final Showdown isn't inherently bad, but cutscene ruling you to lose after you mechanically win the fight? Awful. Just as bad as an automatically unwinnable fight, really. By removing any consequences from player action you remove any reason to care at all unless you handle it very, very carefully.

but take heart, bioware keeps making the same mistake! :negative:

e: I think they did it right once - Jade Empire has a good one. Every other instance I can think of is bad or really bad. Thessia, anyone?

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 25, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I just have to ask: is Koth supposed to be likeable? At all? I mean even if you strip out PTN's italicized snark, he's just a scrub. Am I missing something?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

He's Jacob with Religion instead of Daddy Issues. Which is unfortunate, because Jacob's Daddy Issues were the only time BioWare did the Daddy Issues plot well.

I agree with that. The joke about the SSV Normandy being the SSV Daddy Issues...isn't a joke. But Jacob's was alright. I think he also has the misfortune of being a more-or-less competent and almost well adjusted person in a game full of bigger-than-life characters. And while I appreciated the fact that he just moved on with his life from ME2->3, I know a whole lot of people didn't. How dare this character have agency! :v:

But Koth ...I'd rather take the one-note assassin droid over this guy.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

There was no vote. No meetings, no debates. It’s simply the way it is. The way it has been since the day you arrived.
Everyone knows it. It’s just… official now.

"Besides, if it wasn't this way, do you have any idea how expensive it would be for all that dialogue? The animations? The VO? Work with me here."

• Locked thread