Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Aces High posted:

Pretty much everything you can look at in his scenario Ted will have a colorful story about how he is familiar with this thing or that and so while it is true that paranoia is a huge detriment to his character he is still a compulsive liar.

Things like this are why I wanted to LP this game. I never even considered that before.

Aces High posted:

well Zenithe did say he wanted to start with Ted because his scenario is kind of boring.

It's not that it's boring as such, it's that Ted is (I think) the least interesting character, and the human characters and their flaws are what makes this game so interesting. Even in the book we know very little of Ted, other than of his.....less than good views about Ellen, and I guess by extension women in general, and his wannabe heroic tendencies.

Ted's a man who lies to women to take advantage of them, and who wants to see himself as a good guy. Hardly a man of intrigue compared to the others, which I won't spoil, at least until tomorrow when I will upload Gorrister's scenario.

Ironslave posted:

So AM's attempt to torture Ted was to dump him in a comfortable mansion surrounded by women who want to sleep with him? Is this his first real shot at it?

Steinrokkan's answer is far more eloquent than any of mine could hope to be, but I thought I will just add that both the women who ask you to sleep with them do so under a promise to do something for Ted, both of whom turn out to be lying and simply using Ted for their own personal goals. Just like Ted used to. It's AMs attempt at poetic justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Gorrister slapped her. She slumped down, staring up at poor loonie Benny, and she cried. It was her big defense, crying. We had gotten used to it seventy-five years earlier. Gorrister kicked her in the side...Gorrister had been a worrier. He was a connie, a conscientious objector; he was a peace marcher; he was a planner, a doer, a looker-ahead. AM had turned him into a shoulder-shrugger, had made him a little dead in his concern. AM had robbed him...

Here we come to the story of Gorrister. His story is greatly expanded from the book, so I hope you enjoy this proper run through of Gorrister's scenario.

Gorrister

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 28, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's kind of a shame that there are those unintuitive puzzles in Gorrister's scenario. I think it's pretty obvious he was designed to be the flagship character among the five, the first one the player is meant to try - so his story is a kinda nuanced introduction to the overarching plot of the game, that gives you lots of hints that are obvious in hindsight, but probably too obtuse to get on your first playthrough.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

It's kind of a shame that there are those unintuitive puzzles in Gorrister's scenario. I think it's pretty obvious he was designed to be the flagship character among the five, the first one the player is meant to try - so his story is a kinda nuanced introduction to the overarching plot of the game, that gives you lots of hints that are obvious in hindsight, but probably too obtuse to get on your first playthrough.

I play through the scenarios beforehand to make sure I remember everything and won't get stuck in my recorded run. Even after playing through it multiple times I couldn't figure out exactly what it was I was forgetting in order to complete Gorrister perfectly. Turns out I was forgetting to not murder a bunch of innocent animals (which I assumed had an effect) so I could symbolically wash my hands on a filth covered tablecloth (which does have a positive effect).

I imagine my first experience is not unique in that I picked Gorrister because he was leftmost, got stuck within a few minutes and packed it in.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 28, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

If nobody votes I'll just pick one at random, but if you want me to play either Ellen or Benny next, then please let me know and I'll prioritise their scenarios.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm for Benny just because of other plot stuff covered in Ellen's scenario

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Let's go with Benny.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Bring on the mutant ex-genius.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I'm all in for Benny next, too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Cynical Gorrister play-through is up. There really are a tonne of ways to screw up Gorrister's run, I hope I got them all. To be honest there are a lot of options I thought would be available but weren't possible.

By unanimous vote, Benny will be next.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

BENNYYY!!

quote:

Benny had been a brilliant theorist, a college professor; now he was little more than a semi-human, semi-simian. He had been handsome, the machine had ruined that. He had been lucid, the machine had driven him mad. He had been gay, and the machine had given him an organ fit for a horse. AM had done a job on Benny.

In this part, Benny has to make a choice between his hunger or his conscience, in a particularly sadistic scenario.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Now I am really curious how screwing up Benny's segment will go. Also are you going to show the other vidscreen conversations in that? I know that there are some other people to talk to besides the boy

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Aces High posted:

Also are you going to show the other vidscreen conversations in that? I know that there are some other people to talk to besides the boy

Oh really? I'll check it out.

edit. Oh ffs, why hide that there. WHY! Yes I'll post it, and thanks for clearly knowing a lot more about this game than I do.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 31, 2016

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

quote:

He had been gay, and the machine had given him an organ fit for a horse. AM had done a job on Benny.

If there's one thing I'm absolutely confident that gay men don't enjoy, it's great big cocks.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Whybird posted:

If there's one thing I'm absolutely confident that gay men don't enjoy, it's great big cocks.

The comment regarding Benny's massive horse penis actually is far more about Ted's narcissism than anything else. Ted's super jealous because he wants Ellen for himself, but she only enjoys having sex with Benny because of his size. I'm far more inclined to believe AM gave Benny that particular mutation and turned him straight as a way to torment Ted than anything else.

Did I mention Harlan Ellison has some pretty hosed up views about women?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Aces High posted:

Now I am really curious how screwing up Benny's segment will go. Also are you going to show the other vidscreen conversations in that? I know that there are some other people to talk to besides the boy

Some missed information from Benny

Cheers Aces High, would literally never have found that, and it's one of the most interesting things in Benny's section.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

glad to be of service :)

hitty
Mar 4, 2013

You can also give Harry's heart to the jackal, if you can't find the beef one. A far more disturbing option.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Hitfreezy posted:

You can also give Harry's heart to the jackal, if you can't find the beef one. A far more disturbing option.

Yeah, I went with Edna's because it seems like the far more normal choice in the run through. Gorrister hates Edna but is a lot more indifferent about Harry. You can also shoot harry with the gun, but it just shows the gas station exploding.

Interesting to note too, that at some point in the games development, the beef carcasses were just hanging dead people, which makes sense with the scenario. I mean, the jackal couldn't tell the difference between say, Edna's heart and Harry's, but it couldn't tell a cow heart from a human one? It's like four times the size!

Unless of course AM made the cattle carcass with a human heart inside, which is nonsensical but entirely possible.

edit. oh right, taking Harry's heart means you can still finish the scenario, unlike taking Edna's, sorry.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 1, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so taking Edna's heart puts you in a no-win situation, does that mean you have to restart because you can't continue after a certain point? Is that the same with letting her down and she then controls the zeppelin?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Aces High posted:

so taking Edna's heart puts you in a no-win situation, does that mean you have to restart because you can't continue after a certain point? Is that the same with letting her down and she then controls the zeppelin?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. You need a brain to power the zeppelin, and I tried a bunch of ways to use Harry's to no avail, and the minute you can even interact with Glynis she dies.

Releasing Edna isn't an automatic no win though, as you can capture her from the cockpit and then chuck her in the harness.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Hungry Benny run is up!

This one is particularly dark.

Next run is Ellen. After doing a practice run through, I will only be doing one version of Ellen's scenario. You aren't missing anything I won't cover in the good run.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The horror of Ellen's run is the voice acting.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

The horror of Ellen's run is the voice acting.

It's not great, but I blame the script more than anything else.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Part 4 - Ellen

ELLEN was a brilliant engineer who was climbing the corporate ladder when AM seized her. But if she is that competent, that cool, that smart, why does she become hysterical when confronted with the color yellow?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

It looked to me like Ellen didn't get to a white background.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

It looked to me like Ellen didn't get to a white background.

She can't, as far as I and the internet knows.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Yeah, a timeless rape-chamber is probably the darkest scenario so far.

What's going on with the satan book? It's been held across the scenarios since it was first picked up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

asio posted:

Yeah, a timeless rape-chamber is probably the darkest scenario so far.

What's going on with the satan book? It's been held across the scenarios since it was first picked up.

I explained it briefly in the first run through, it's your particular characters' psych profile.

It does two things, provide cryptic clues as to what to do next, and freaks your character out, lowering their phyche. The logic behind it is that the scenarios are built around the player's deepest character flaws, so reading your profile gives you both insight into what is going on around you (clues), but also into what a terrible person you perceive yourself as (damaging psyche). The manual also says that looking for clues in the profile is admitting defeat, so take that, gameFAQs.

Neat little idea, completely pointless in a game where you can save scum to your hearts content.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I remember the first time I saw this game and this was one of the scenarios people had talked about the most. I didn't really know what they were referring to until the player got into the elevator and I was just like ":dogbutton: weeeeeeelllllllll this just took a turn for the morbid" and for some reason I didn't have a similar reaction to Nimdok's scenario.

Guess rape will just always be way more of a "whooooa" scenario than, well, we'll see

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Just watched the first Gorrister scenario and I don't know if you address it in the second video but before I forget I was wondering three things; What was that book on the table in one of the cabins, why didn't you ask Harry about the thunderstorm and what does he say and can you shoot the Jackal instead of the truck stop at the end?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Thesaya posted:

Just watched the first Gorrister scenario and I don't know if you address it in the second video but before I forget I was wondering three things; What was that book on the table in one of the cabins, why didn't you ask Harry about the thunderstorm and what does he say and can you shoot the Jackal instead of the truck stop at the end?

It's a recipe book for the milk of human kindness, it's a gibberish default answer he gives when he doesn't have whisky at hand, and shooting the Jackal is game over.

Aces High posted:

I remember the first time I saw this game and this was one of the scenarios people had talked about the most. I didn't really know what they were referring to until the player got into the elevator and I was just like ":dogbutton: weeeeeeelllllllll this just took a turn for the morbid" and for some reason I didn't have a similar reaction to Nimdok's scenario.

Guess rape will just always be way more of a "whooooa" scenario than, well, we'll see

Part of I think is also the lack of a shady past compared to the others. At some level, all of the others you can appreciate a little poetic justice to their punishments. Benny is a serial killer, Ted is a conman, Gorrister neglected his wife. Ellen? Nothing. Tormented just because. Becomes a million times more :stare: if you've read what AM did to her in the book.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 5, 2016

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
The female characters in Harlan Ellison's stories are in general quite special.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

This long post contains no playing, but art history that may interest some.

I've just played through Nimdok's scenario, and wanted to do a brief post explaining some of the art design so you understand the influences before you see it.

The design of the entire scenario is rooted in German Expressionism, a particular art philisophy that started in pre WWI Germany, and found popularity mostly in Germany. It's most famous examples are visual art and cinema, although it existed in some form for most art styles. Not however, there is a genre of classical music called Expressionism, and this is almost but not entirely unrelated.

The main difference between previous visual art styles was that expressionism, rather than capture a realistic or aesthetically pleasing image of the subject, it sought to capture instead the psyche or true emotion behind such figures.

Have a look at this picture for example:

This is "Explosions" by George Grosz, which depicts the artists experiences in Berlin in WWI. Now this doesn't look like like anything realistic, but is probably far better at showing the emotion and experiences of the artist.

This one is "Wounded Man" by Otto Dix, and again, attempts to capture the horror of dying in a trench during the first world war. Does not look like a man at all.

Now, there is something to be said for the entire game and art direction, but for my money, I think the art design that has most clearly influenced Nimdok's scenario is one of the most well known pieces of expressionist cinema, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. The entire movie uses surreal, impossible sets and did so by doing crazy things like painting shadows where there weren't supposed to be, creating impossible architecture by painting sets etc. This is a shot from the movie:

When I post Nimdok's scenario around this time tomorrow, keep these kind of details in mind, but particularly the key feature of expressionism: It's not depicting the objective truth, but the emotional one.

Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010

I never knew you could meet Edna in the control room after freeing her. :aaaaa: If I'm not mistaken you did miss stabbing Harry though.

Zenithe posted:

Part of I think is also the lack of a shady past compared to the others. At some level, all of the others you can appreciate a little poetic justice to their punishments. Benny is a serial killer, Ted is a conman, Gorrister neglected his wife. Ellen? Nothing. Tormented just because.

Ellen's lack of "old sin" does stand out. The game vaguely mentions her thinking too highly of herself, that others are beneath her etc, but nothing more than that.

My theory when playing the game was that the twist would be that she had something to with the creation of AM, being an engineer and all. In a way making her the worst of the lot.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Yeah i Also thought that Ellen had a hand in creating AM even though it's never outright said.

Also Harlan Ellison is one hosed up dude

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bon Yack posted:

I never knew you could meet Edna in the control room after freeing her. :aaaaa: If I'm not mistaken you did miss stabbing Harry though.

My theory when playing the game was that the twist would be that she had something to with the creation of AM, being an engineer and all. In a way making her the worst of the lot.

Yeah I missed that. It's kind of plausible in a way, but I really think if that was the case it would have been hinted at in some way.

The only real evidence is that AM is a massive sook who "has sentience, but not life. It has power, but no mobility. It is a giant brain encased in a dead body. And like the mad god, it has come to hate the creator of its own monstrousness", and if Ellen is partly responsible for this, then her punishment is at least partly justified in AM's mind.

Illegal Username posted:

Also Harlan Ellison is one hosed up dude

Having read a little more, it actually wasn't written in one night, but rather the second half of the book was, which is arguably even worse. Can you even imagine what kind of person has this kind of stream of consciousness?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Nimdok

NIMDOK is so ancient, and so withered, he looks as if he is constructed of leather strips. AM sees this mean-spirited old man as a kindred spirit, but if he has any secrets, he is keeping them to himself.

... Nimdok went off in the darkness by himself for long times. I don't know what it was he did out there, AM never let us know. But whatever it was, Nimdok always came back white, drained of blood, shaken, shaking. AM had hit him hard in a special way, even if we didn't know quite how.

There are multiple endings, so we have two questions this time (minor spoilers from the end of the linked episode)

Who do you want to lead the assault on AM and who do you want to see me play as for the bad run

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
I always feel a little strange about holocaust themed things that aren't firmly in the Weird War II camp, but this is one of the few things that I think gets away with it. This whole sequence I think is cheapened by not revealing that Ellen is responsible for AM's existence though.
Nimdok then would become a little more allegorical, which matches the expressionist style of his sequence. The seemingly alright if tormented Ellen makes sense in hell with the others if we're making a point about consequences, which is what Nimdok is about.
Without that connection it sorta feels contrived aside for him to still be around.

The killing Nazis joke A+ 10/10

I want to see Ellen lead the attack, she makes the most sense because she has a background in computers. Though I do really like Gorrister in this game. Bad run is Ted, just because I'm assuming this has the cannon ending for the bad run.

Anti-Citizen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anti-Citizen posted:

I always feel a little strange about holocaust themed things that aren't firmly in the Weird War II camp, but this is one of the few things that I think gets away with it. This whole sequence I think is cheapened by revealing that Ellen is responsible for AM's existence though.
Nimdok then would become a little more allegorical, which matches the expressionist style of his sequence. The seemingly alright if tormented Ellen makes sense in hell with the others if we're making a point about consequences, which is what Nimdok is about.
Without that connection it sorta feels contrived aside for him to still be around.

The killing Nazis joke A+ 10/10

I want to see Ellen lead the attack, she makes the most sense because she has a background in computers. Though I do really like Gorrister in this game. Bad run is Ted, just because I'm assuming this has the cannon ending for the bad run.

I'm voting this way too thanks. Definitely bad run Ted just in case.

• Locked thread