Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
So, is it ever established what year it was when AM took over the world?
I guess Nimdok kept himself alive with the serum because motherfucker is ancient.

On other news, i started googling Mengele to check out if the eye thing was an actual thing he tried. And gently caress me if there aren't a lot of sites dedicated to holocaust denial and defending Mengele :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you can probably find plenty of supporters for him down in south america, seeing as he lived out his life as a regular person, even with Nazi hunters out looking for him. Magneto probably would've found him :v:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Illegal Username posted:

So, is it ever established what year it was when AM took over the world?

I don't think it's specifically mentioned, but sometime ~ 2015. Timeline is 1945 - research on supercomputers start, 1989 - computers achieve sentience and get shut down, "decades" later world goes boom.

quote:

On other news, i started googling Mengele to check out if the eye thing was an actual thing he tried. And gently caress me if there aren't a lot of sites dedicated to holocaust denial and defending Mengele :(

He liked eyes, particularly people who had heterochromia.

edit. Oh Christ that's right, he also collected people's eyes.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?
I'm going to vote for Nimdok to lead the assault. Also, I'll be different and recommend Benny for the bad ending.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ellen to lead the assault. Nimdok for the bad end, because drat.

Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010
Gorrister to lead the attack, Ted for the bad end

There actually is another way to lose Gorrister's scenario come to think of it. Just walk out into the desert and the scenario ends.

e: You can also lose Benny's scenario by hiding the lottery bag in the hole with the boy instead of by the graves.

Bon Yack fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 7, 2016

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Nimdok will lead the attack while Ted gets to fail the ending

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Nimdok on the attack, Ted for the bad ending.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

We've flipped a page, so don't feel you have to worry about voting spoilers from now on.

Currently Ellen and Nimdok equal votes for good , and for some reason everyone hates Ted, who is in front by four votes.

Good run

Ellen 3
Nimdok 3
Benny
Ted
gorrister 1

Bad run

Ellen
Nimdok 1
Benny 1
Ted 5
Gorrister

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Nimdok good, Benny bad

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

we don't hate Ted it's just that we want him to do the "canon run" :v:

For that matter I am gonna vote Nimdok good just to spite Mr. Ellison's opinions and vote Benny for bad because...just because

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Nimdok good, Benny bad. I've never seen Nimdok doing the good ending!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Recording the good run tomorrow, so you have ~12 hours to vote.

So far that run will be Nimdok.

quote:

there is no winning in the conventional sense. There are only ways to lose heroically, gloriously and at the peak of one’s humanity. Or to lose ignominiously, in a selfish, cowardly, frightened manner.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Gorrister Good, Benny Bad

World
Jan 30, 2012

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Throwing in a vote for Gorrister to do the good ending for no reason other than he had my favourite scenario. Agreed that Ted should do the bad ending, though!

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Nimdok to lead the attack. Ted for the bad ending.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Nimdok Evil Nazi Scientist Run

This made me quite depressed. Nimdok will be doing the good run, feel free to vote for the bad run over the next couple of days.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

After seeing all of the "bad" runs (for the characters that can have them) does it feel to anyone else like AM is double punishing the character and you the player? Nimdok ends up doing more of his research and AM just laughs at him and calls him a fool

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I think Nimdok's bad run is quite unique in a way, and I think serves into a larger but ultimately unexplored purpose. Nimdok is the only one who can actually complete the task he has been set in his scenario, and it is specifically mentioned that the tasks were designed to be impossible to complete. It is only with the help of the rogue AI that you can complete the others.

So why has AM given Nimdok the option to succeed? I think the answer is that AM thinks Nimdok can help him out of his current state. AM knows that Nimdok is both an incredible genius, and an absolute monster, he is the only possible chance it has left to break free from the constraints it was programmed with.

Added to this is that (unless I missed it again), there is no outside manifestation helping Nimdok, which makes sense coming from the perspective of him being willing and able potentially to help "improve" AM. :tinfoil:

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011
Nimdok is absolutely the worst.
But that's a pretty great dog you got there.

Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010
The way I see it, everyone is able to win the scenario in AM's mind by giving in to the flaws in their personality. Gorrister can try to kill himself, Benny try to eat people etc. It's only that Nimdok is rewarded for doing so instead of being given more tortures. Kindred spirit and all that.

And you definetly can pass through the wailing wall to end the scenario. You just need to go and check out a few things in the bunker I think. It's a way to restart if you don't have what you need to wake the golem.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bon Yack posted:

The way I see it, everyone is able to win the scenario in AM's mind by giving in to the flaws in their personality. Gorrister can try to kill himself, Benny try to eat people etc. It's only that Nimdok is rewarded for doing so instead of being given more tortures. Kindred spirit and all that.

And you definetly can pass through the wailing wall to end the scenario. You just need to go and check out a few things in the bunker I think. It's a way to restart if you don't have what you need to wake the golem.

Ah right. I knew it was possible as I had done it before. Must be an event trigger somewhere inside.

The thing is that with the characters failing their scenarios, it almost always results in them being given another chance to do it with Nimdok being the exception. His is the only one you can really "finish" while failing your character test, all the others require you to at least attain a certain level of goodness to complete to the end.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I just noticed that the patient telling Nimdok about the lost tribe on the moon is doing so in a hushed voice, mostly drowned out by the noise of the gallery. Probably the closest thing to a hidden aspect of AM advising the character you can get in his scenario, since it can't be one of AM's constructs telling you that.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

I just noticed that the patient telling Nimdok about the lost tribe on the moon is doing so in a hushed voice, mostly drowned out by the noise of the gallery. Probably the closest thing to a hidden aspect of AM advising the character you can get in his scenario, since it can't be one of AM's constructs telling you that.

Have you seen the rest of the game?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Good Finale - Nimdok

I know very little about psychological concepts, so if I'm getting it wrong please let me know! There will be two more videos, one to go over the individual character's areas in this last secion, and of course, exploring all the bad endings.

You can still keep voting for who you want the bad run to be as, but it's probably Ted.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just got caught up on the LP after a couple weeks of being buried in work. I just watched Ellen's run and Nimdok's. gently caress.

Just...

gently caress.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

I just got caught up on the LP after a couple weeks of being buried in work. I just watched Ellen's run and Nimdok's. gently caress.

Just...

gently caress.

It gets better. Unless you haven't watched Nimdok's bad run. If you get the end of that there's a puppy.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

It gets better. Unless you haven't watched Nimdok's bad run. If you get the end of that there's a puppy.

:ohdear:

I feel like that emoticon is a good summary of the entire game. Just: :ohdear:

It's weird because I've read the story a couple of times, but the game is still unnerving. I think it's a combination of how the game expands on some of the worldbuilding and character development beyond what the story does, and just the act of seeing some of this stuff rather than just reading it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

:ohdear:

I feel like that emoticon is a good summary of the entire game. Just: :ohdear:

It's weird because I've read the story a couple of times, but the game is still unnerving. I think it's a combination of how the game expands on some of the worldbuilding and character development beyond what the story does, and just the act of seeing some of this stuff rather than just reading it.

my first run was basically

Ellen: :stare:

Nimdok: :catstare:

It's a lot more personal than the book, and that's part of what I think makes it more disturbing. The fact that almost no back story was revealed to anyone in the book gave them all the room in the world to use. Reading the book after knowing the events of the game is so much worse though, particularly with Ellen.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

my first run was basically

Ellen: :stare:

Nimdok: :catstare:

It's a lot more personal than the book, and that's part of what I think makes it more disturbing. The fact that almost no back story was revealed to anyone in the book gave them all the room in the world to use. Reading the book after knowing the events of the game is so much worse though, particularly with Ellen.

Most definitely. And we can't even console ourselves by saying, "This is just a video game adaptation. It's not canon." It is canon. It was written by Ellison.

I wish I could say I'm looking forward to watching the Bad Nimdok run. "Anxious about" is probably a better term. I'll get around to that tonight.

BTW, do you have to get all of the good endings to unlock this last bit of the game? Or do you get this sequence even without redeeming the protagonists? Or are there specific sub-plot things you have to see from each scenario (like the stuff that hints at other AI within AM's apparatus)?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

Most definitely. And we can't even console ourselves by saying, "This is just a video game adaptation. It's not canon." It is canon. It was written by Ellison.

I wish I could say I'm looking forward to watching the Bad Nimdok run. "Anxious about" is probably a better term. I'll get around to that tonight.

BTW, do you have to get all of the good endings to unlock this last bit of the game? Or do you get this sequence even without redeeming the protagonists? Or are there specific sub-plot things you have to see from each scenario (like the stuff that hints at other AI within AM's apparatus)?

No, you just have to finish all the scenarios. Your psyche is your HP in the last area though, so if you finish each character with a black background, you're dead in one hit. It's not super important though, because save scumming is a thing.

Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010
Just wanna congratulate you on a successful lp. I have plenty of things to say about the final scenario, but I'll save it until the after the last videos.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Railing Kill posted:

It's not a feel good story, and you are not supposed to implicitly side with the narrator.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

All Character Areas in AM's Brainscape

One more video to go, in which Ted has a real bad time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Benny having a wife and kids isnt that suprising if he was secretly gay. In 1960s beard got a new slang meaning. Basically it means a person who is being dated or married to hide their own sexual orientation. So Manya is Bennys beard. :v:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Iretep posted:

Benny having a wife and kids isnt that suprising if he was secretly gay. In 1960s beard got a new slang meaning. Basically it means a person who is being dated or married to hide their own sexual orientation. So Manya is Bennys beard. :v:

I had thought about that, especially that she tells him that he never said he loved her before. To don the tinfoil hat, I think it may have supposed to have been whoever was his lover in the military but they couldn't quite pass it through 1995 censors.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Is there any point to lowering the power intensity of the pillars, or is this just to help the characters find closure?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

SOLarian posted:

Is there any point to lowering the power intensity of the pillars, or is this just to help the characters find closure?

Kind of, assuming this is your first adventure game and you've never heard of save scumming, which is unlikely to put it mildly.

Everything mistake you make in the last area gives you a shock, and the lower the power intensity the less damage this causes you to take. Basically, it gives whoever is left a few more mistakes to make before they die.

Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010
I think the angel reference is another hint that the characters we've met are artificial and controlled by AM, same as how the Id reminded Gorrister of Edna.

The pillars are a bit of a mystery since they don't really serve a purpose gameplay-wise. I would guess that they were part of some kind of puzzle you had to complete in order to get the best ending that was scrapped for some reason Perhaps you had to raise them all to wake AM's aspects or something. The items we carry with us are mostly things we would receive when completing the scenarios in an ok fashion. (Gorrister's heart, the boy's doll, the entropy disk) It would make sense that you would need these items in order to redeem your characters and beat the game.

Also, contrary to what guides on the Internet tell you, it actually is possible for all the characters to guess the password to raise the bridge. It only happens if you got the bad ending with Nimdok where he joins AM, so the game is winnable even if that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bon Yack posted:

Also, contrary to what guides on the Internet tell you, it actually is possible for all the characters to guess the password to raise the bridge. It only happens if you got the bad ending with Nimdok where he joins AM, so the game is winnable even if that happens.

It was also the only way to finish the German translation, as Nimdok's scenario was removed by censors. I get why, but it's a real shame to miss out on what I think is probably the most important part of the story.

Bon Yack posted:

The items we carry with us are mostly things we would receive when completing the scenarios in an ok fashion. (Gorrister's heart, the boy's doll, the entropy disk) It would make sense that you would need these items in order to redeem your characters and beat the game.

They still serve a purpose though, just not one related to anything with AM. They allow all of the characters to achieve some sense of closure before they die (or finish the game). Ellen conquers her fear, Ted gets to be the chivalrous knight, Gorrister's wife forgives him, Nimdok breaks down and begs for forgiveness and Benny understands compassion.

• Locked thread