Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Karmalis posted:

Asking out of ignorance, how would they be such champs in that?

Western Muslims are generally way more likely to become sympathetic to jihadist ideology than Muslims anywhere else, statistically. There's well established networks and militant Imam's that reach recruits, and their message obviously resonates with disaffected Muslims living in the West, although it's still an extremely small part of the overall Muslim population in Western countries. As far as why Belgium has such higher rates than other major jihadist hubs in Europe, I couldn't tell you. There's obviously something though, because they are a pretty big outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

nimby posted:

Belgium as a country is pretty racist. Doesn't help that we're happy letting Muslims have their own, semi-detached culture in some cities. Result is little dialog and lots of racism from both sides.

You can compare it with Fox-watching Republicans and Democrats. Living in the same world, but very detached.

Radio reporting definitely 1 suicide bomber at the airport.

Most euro countries have been getting steadily more racist since the 2000-aughts, but it's worth noting that our press and governments are much worse than our citizens on average.

How sure is "definitely" when it's on the radio?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Radio 1 here is mostly conservative when it comes to reporting and they get the info front he police, as far as I can tell.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Lagotto posted:

Can we can the victim blaming for at least one day?

Does an entire country count as "a victim"?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Volkerball posted:

Western Muslims are generally way more likely to become sympathetic to jihadist ideology than Muslims anywhere else, statistically. There's well established networks and militant Imam's that reach recruits, and their message obviously resonates with disaffected Muslims living in the West, although it's still an extremely small part of the overall Muslim population in Western countries. As far as why Belgium has such higher rates than other major jihadist hubs in Europe, I couldn't tell you. There's obviously something though, because they are a pretty big outlier.

Lots of factors, but one that comes to mind is letting the Saudis sponsor Wahhabi mosques in Brussels.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Volkerball posted:

Belgium is kinda nice for terrorist cells since it's as close to a failed state as you get in Western Europe.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Nothing that I can think of. Salah Abdeslam was arrested recently so maybe they decided to act sooner rather than later. Airports are pretty crowded and I read that they blew up the American Airlines desk specifically, but can't confirm that.
They may have been hibernating, waiting for the Euro 2016/Tour de France/Roland Garros in France to start.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 22, 2016

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Lots of factors, but one that comes to mind is letting the Saudis sponsor Wahhabi mosques in Brussels.
You'd think that if radical islam is such an issue they'd stop letting the Wahabbe's dump truckloads of money on religious propaganda. Is this a case of not wanting to offend the Saudi government, or is there something else at play here? All this talk of "European Islam" doesn't really work if you're letting the Saudi religious establishment set the agenda and train your imams.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

UncleSmoothie posted:

Yes. What is it with people here? The situation is still unfolding and the first reaction out of you autists is ~bu-bu-but racism!!! Please just all shut the hell up and wait for the news reports before getting into this knee jerk b/s again.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Lagotto posted:

Yes. What is it with people here? The situation is still unfolding and the first reaction out of you autists is ~bu-bu-but racism!!! Please just all shut the hell up and wait for the news reports before getting into this knee jerk b/s again.

Someone asked why someone would attack Belgium. Someone responded saying they have a lot more radicals than other countries. Someone wondered why that is. People responded with the most common theories. What are they supposed to do, not answer them?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not that they hate Belgium in particular, it's that Belgium is the loving world champ in radicalizing its Muslim population.

There is racism in Belgium, and thus :confuoot:

Where, exactly, are you going with this?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lagotto posted:

Can we can the victim blaming for at least one day?
Belgium is a victim in this case, but the last time it was an enabler.

lilljonas posted:

Belgium is kinda nice for terrorist cells since it's as close to a failed state as you get in Western Europe.
Pretty much. I'm not sure if they even have any anti-radicalization efforts going on, given how dysfunctional the country is.

Lagotto posted:

My point was never about racism, it's that the authorities in Belgium suck so bad at anti-radicalization that Belgium is a danger to its neighbors.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Lagotto posted:

Yeah, shut up and stop posting discussion in the debate and discussion forum you autists :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

UncleSmoothie posted:

In acts of terrorism, yes.

UncleSmoothie posted:

Yeah, shut up and stop posting discussion in the debate and discussion forum you autists :smug:

"If you racists didn't want to be murdered, maybe you should have been perfect paragons of progressive virtues, like me, the stupid poster" is not a discussion, it's just jerking off from a high horse on imagined filthy peasants.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 22, 2016

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pesmerga posted:

This is going to get very ugly very quickly. Friends based in Belgium who have always been very tolerant and progressive are starting to talk about the 'enemy in our midst'. I don't like where this is going.

Terrorism works incredibly well. All this talk of "well statistically you are more likely to die of a car accident blah blah blah" is fine on paper. Seeing pictures of commuters with their guts all over the floor and bodies missing limbs changes minds pretty quickly.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010

Kaislioc posted:

Someone asked why someone would attack Belgium. Someone responded saying they have a lot more radicals than other countries. Someone wondered why that is. People responded with the most common theories. What are they supposed to do, not answer them?

Exactly, it's a very old discussion and can only lead to the standard loving slapfights we've sern ten times over. Would be nice to have a day to actually get some picture of what is happening.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Toplowtech posted:

They may have been hibernating, waiting for the Euro 2016 in France to start. S.pring

Judging by pictures, the Zaventem explosion hit the left side of the check in terminal, near rows 3-4. From my experience, those are the check in counters for Brussels Airline, not American Airlines. However, at the moment of the blasts, check in would have been open for the flight to NYC which is a codeshare with United Airlines.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty much. I'm not sure if they even have any anti-radicalization efforts going on, given how dysfunctional the country is.

They had one, which was run privately by one of the most prominent anti-Jihadi experts. And then the police arrested and brutalized him because he had copies of his book The Jihad Caravan in his car.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 22, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm pretty sure there's actions going on after the Paris bombings, but with a civil society divided among language lines, and institutions such as the police being so fragmented, it's kind of the worst possible conditions.

But it's sad how effective these attacks are. My wife was already afraid to travel to other European cities after the Paris attack, so this will definitely not help.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 22, 2016

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

id like very much if you could all put a lot of effort into avoiding making this thread as bad as it's already getting

anyway, everything in brussels is down and on lockdown. cell network is close to crashing. stations are being evacuated.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Belgium is a victim in this case, but the last time it was an enabler.

My point was never about racism, it's that the authorities in Belgium suck so bad at anti-radicalization that Belgium is a danger to its neighbors.

Can you explain why Belgium is so dysfunctional?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Friend is stuck inside her workplace in Brussels right now. They have no plans of being evacuated out at this moment.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
authorities are advising people to use data communication (whatsapp, facebook, etc) because cell lines are jammed

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Friend is stuck inside her workplace in Brussels right now. They have no plans of being evacuated out at this moment.
Current advice to anyone not in a building that's specifically being evacuated is to stay where you are. Seeing as public transportation is down, it's unlikely that getting out of Brussels is going to be easy at the moment anyway and I assume the last thing first responders want is Brussels getting clogged up with traffic.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Counter-terrorism dude saying that if this was part of Abdeslam's cell, it would be unprecedented. After the first big strike in other attacks, the response has been adequate to shut down the cell before they could attack again. If this group managed to get two, then that's not good news.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

UncleSmoothie posted:

i do not think it does, personally. at least not in this case.

saying that the people who were murdered were wrong for leaving their houses and going to the airport because of their racists attitude towards muslims invites violence would be victim blaming, and also very stupid

speculating that belgium as a country has problems with radicalizing its muslim population and this might contribute to a higher concentration of terrorist attacks is not victim blaming, it is looking for an explanation for aberrant, dangerous behavior. i couldn't tell you whether or not this is an accurate assessment of the issue, but the takeaway here is that there might be more complex systemic issues at work creating an environment where violence thrives. it is neither an absolution nor indictment of belgium's policies or the terrorist's actions.

in other words, the victims of the attacks are blameless, and this is never in dispute. when people speculate about things like this, it is at a systemic level.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

FourLeaf posted:

Can you explain why Belgium is so dysfunctional?

Oil

quote:

Critical media reports, however, stand in stark contrast to the positive self-representation of the Islamic Center. Just days before the Paris attacks, the French daily newspaper "Libération" wrote, "For thirty years, the Great Mosque of Brussels has been an active Salafist refuge, offering fertile soil for their networks to grow."
The paper quoted Islam expert Michel Privot of the European Network Against Racism: "Salafist sentiments are solidly anchored in the minds of Muslims in the Belgian capital." The phenomenon, he says, can be traced back to Saudi Arabia's missionary zeal in Brussels. "Belgian authorities have been playing with fire (regarding this issue) for 30 years."
The Great Mosque of Brussels is financed by the Muslim World League, which receives most of its money from the Saudi Arabian government. The story of the mosque began in 1967, when Belgium's state coffers were empty and the nation was looking for access to cheap oil.

This motivated Belgium's King Baudoin to cut a deal with Saudi Arabia's King Faisal Ibn Abd al-Aziz al-Saud: In exchange for cheap oil, Baudoin gave the Saudis a 99-year lease on the former Oriental Pavilion from the 1880 National Exhibition in Brussels, situated in Cinquantenaire Park.
At the same time, the Belgians allowed their Saudi friends to train Muslim Imams to preach to the growing numbers of African and Maghrebi immigrants coming into the country. It gave the House of Saud carte blanche to spread the message of Salafism.

http://www.dw.com/en/brussels-great-mosque-and-ties-with-salafism/a-18866998

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dazzling Addar posted:

i do not think it does, personally. at least not in this case.

saying that the people who were murdered were wrong for leaving their houses and going to the airport because of their racists attitude towards muslims invites violence would be victim blaming, and also very stupid

speculating that belgium as a country has problems with radicalizing its muslim population and this might contribute to a higher concentration of terrorist attacks is not victim blaming, it is looking for an explanation for aberrant, dangerous behavior. i couldn't tell you whether or not this is an accurate assessment of the issue, but the takeaway here is that there might be more complex systemic issues at work creating an environment where violence thrives. it is neither an absolution nor indictment of belgium's policies or the terrorist's actions.

in other words, the victims of the attacks are blameless, and this is never in dispute. when people speculate about things like this, it is at a systemic level.

Well said. Here's an article that expands further on Belgium in particular if anyone is interested in finding out more about it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/11/belgium-radical-islam-jihad-molenbeek-isis/416235/

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
Here's some confirmed info:
Brussels Airport (Zaventem): at around 8 am, 2 explosions, one of which was a suicide attack. At least 13 dead and 35 injured.
Metro: At around 9 am bomb in a carriage in Maelbeek station. No official word on wounded/dead atm.

Metro in Brussels is closed, some train stations are being closed, entire country is on highest alert level and everyone is asked to stay where they are. We're on complete lockdown it seems. Phone network is completely oversaturated

edit: Belga news agency now says 11 dead at the airport, it's pretty chaotic

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

All tunnels in Brussels have been closed off as well. Central station in Antwerp's been evacuated - just as a precaution.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
The idea that you can victim blame a country escapes me because I can't think of any productive response to a terrorist attack beyond scrutinising government policy (which is a very broad action anyway and applies to all political views)

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The idea that you can victim blame a country escapes me because I can't think of any productive response to a terrorist attack beyond scrutinising government policy (which is a very broad action anyway and applies to all political views)

We could perhaps scrutinize the government in the afternoon, when the bodies aren't quite as still warm?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

willemw posted:

We could perhaps scrutinize the government in the afternoon, when the bodies aren't quite as still warm?

With all respect, if we aren't going to discuss anything of substance, then this thread just turns into a memorial wall of people posting their thoughts and prayers etc. That's a lovely and admirable sentiment but not exactly titilating reading.

Maybe it would be more sensible if those who aren't ready to discuss the subject should stay away from discussion threads about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'd scrutinize the attackers first, but that's just me.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

willemw posted:

What do you propose people post in the Debate and Discussion forum in the interim other than "This is a tragedy and terrorism is bad"?

I'm not unsympathetic to thinking analysis of the causes of terrorism is a bit crass when people are still dying in the streets, I just don't know what this leaves the forum to do other than have a moratorium on posting or just post generic condolences.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

I'd scrutinize the attackers first, but that's just me.

Can't do both, of course.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

UncleSmoothie posted:

With all respect, if we aren't going to discuss anything of substance, then this thread just turns into a memorial wall of people posting their thoughts and prayers etc. That's a lovely and admirable sentiment but not exactly titilating reading.

Maybe it would be more sensible if those who aren't ready to discuss the subject should stay away from discussion threads about it.

I'm not talking about thoughts and prayers, but it seems a bit stupid to discuss so and so while nobody already knows what happened. I wouldn't call that substance...

E: you can do whatever you want, of course

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dazzling Addar posted:

No, it's insinuating they were wrong to not properly respect the specific cultural sensitivities of some imagined 'Muslim community'. Or the self-evidently moronic notion that someone who blows himself up in a crowd of civilians is just following a path that's the logical endpoint of being microaggressed against by satirical cartoons. It's the suggestion that terrorism of this sort is self-inflicted and condign punishment for passing anti-burqa laws.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 22, 2016

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Sober and thoughtful discussion of policy-related causes is fine imo

I understand concerns about it degenerating into empty anti-racist virtue signalling but that hasn't happened itt yet, so maybe calm down

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

10 deaths in Maelbeek metro station, as confirmed by the fire dep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so
Firefighters now saying 10 dead in the metro.

• Locked thread