Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Crow Jane posted:

The Magnetic Fields' recent discography. They're one of my favorite bands, and I think Stephin Merritt is one of the best songwriters ever, but ever since Distortion ("i" wasn't great either, but it had it's moments) they've basically disappeared up their own asses. They've always been somewhat pretentious, but in the past they've always had really solid, interesting, extremely catchy songs to back it up. The recent stuff is just a slog. I've passed on seeing them the last few tours, because I know I'd probably sit there bored just waiting for them to play songs I actually care about.

Yeah, I recently picked up a copy of Love at the Bottom of the Sea, read the lyrics in the liner notes, and realized it was an entire goddamn album of the twee filler crap from 69 Love Songs. I haven't been able to bring myself to listen to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Crow Jane posted:

Which should theoretically be fine, some of that filler is great. Hell, I'm STILL finding new things to love about 69 Love Songs. They've just gotten so samey lately, which is a real shame considering they're a band that used to put tear-in-your-beer country songs next to dancey gay disco tracks and minimalist jazzy stuff and have it flow seamlessly.

Yeah, I'm not saying that stuff is bad -- 69 Love Songs is shockingly close to perfect for an album with so drat many songs and so much breadth -- but an entire album of it just seems wearisome. Twee is best in small doses, in my opinion, and I definitely agree that MF is at their best when they're not just hitting the same note over and over again.

• Locked thread