Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I think one of the (maybe the singular?) reasons Spivak pronouns will not be taken seriously by the public at large is that it's really, really difficult for a binary-gendered person to empathize with feeling outside of the gendered binary.

It's a totally separate thing from straight people empathizing with gay people - it's easy to imagine how it would feel if you weren't allowed to love your spouse/significant other/whoever. It's also different from empathizing with trans* folk within the gender binary: It's not hard to imagine how uncomfortable you'd be if you suddenly found yourself in a body of the opposite sex.

Imagining yourself being outside the gender binary is a whole different thing, and I'm not sure it's possible for someone who is secure in their gender to actually, meaningfully get it. I know I certainly can't. If this thread is any indication that seems to be pretty common.

I mean if someone wants you to call them 'xir' it doesn't cost you anything to do it, even if you think it's silly, so you should. On the other hand though, I can't really see society adopting these pronouns. I think "they/them/their" might be as far as English gets, at least in our lifetimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread