Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
The vast majority of people in this world can't be bothered to learn bullshit new words because some people think they're super special snowflakes, hope that helps.

Furthermore, quite a few people would be hard pressed to define what a pronoun is if you asked them in the spur of the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
It would perhaps help convince lawmakers and people in general that they need to learn new words if we had some numbers telling us how many transgender people there are along with other demographic data such as median income.

It is rather unfortunate that this is rendered fundamentally impossible by lack of agreement as to what transgender is.

Thus, a large number of countries where minority rights are not elevated on a pedestal the government can simply shrug and say "It's not worth dismantling a system that works for the vast majority of people for the benefit of this minority, whom as far as we know there is no concrete data on, and who have little representation outside of the Internet."

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

OwlFancier posted:

Then kill you are self because that's dumb?

Seriously how can you not value the individual but somehow magically value the collective? The collective is a collective of individuals and the wellbeing of the collective is comprised of the wellbeing of its components.

And the binary system model is dumb because it doesn't work in practice or rationally.

At least one in two hundred, apparently. Though precise numbers are somewhat irrelevant because to the mind inclined to think so, no amount is ever enough.

But it could shield progressives such as yourself from accusations of acting purely on an ideological basis since there would be some statistics backing up your conclusions about gender identities.

Additionally, I would like to point out that the "binary system" is very stable, having persisted for a few millennia and still going strong around the globe, which suggests that it does work in practice rather well.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

SwimmingSpider posted:

I would say up the point where such accomodations infringe on your or someone else's safety or well-being. So if someone's pronouns were a slur, or if you had a bomb strapped to your body that was wired to detonate if you said "xe", then sure, that seems like an appropriate situation to ignore their request, but outside of extreme circumstances like that, I can't think of any realistic limits.

Trying to make people make the effort to learn something new, especially an idea this outlandish to most, is a formidable obstacle and limit in itself.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

OwlFancier posted:

In the sense that slavery also worked, by using human suffering as the lubricant.

Traditionalist gender roles are stupid, they are opposed to human wellbeing and encourage oligarchy.

Trends are made up of individuals you pillock. You might as well say that we don't need to care about healthcare because only individuals can actually die.

I would like to point out that asserting that a system doesn't work in theory and practice and asserting that a system is inherently cruel are two differing propositions.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

OwlFancier posted:

I would define "inherently cruel" as "not working" because the only valuable meaning of "working" as it applies to a social system is "promoting human welfare".

That is a rather personal definition and it would make your future arguments less frustrating for everyone involved if you switched to the commonly accepted neutral definition of what a social system is.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno I would have thought "manifestly harms a majority of people" would be a pretty commonly understood definition of "doesn't work".

Please do not be offended by my suggestion.

Nonetheless, the term social system encompasses the structure of any human society. This includes societies that do not conform to your personal definition of "promoting human welfare", such as societies that evolved to benefit only a certain class, ethnicity or other group of people. In these cases, social systems work unless they collapse or otherwise evolve into different structures.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

OwlFancier posted:

Well yes some people are obscenely morally bankrupt but I am charitably assuming that most of the people reading what I'm writing don't fall into that category.

Again it will benefit your message and readers greatly in the future if you minimise the amount of assumptions you make such as this. Always try to simplify your writing and use appropriate and accepted terminology. Additionally, focusing on a single point at a time would be beneficial. Hope this helps.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Men's public toilets are grim and really horribly dirty and covered in piss and I can't imagine someone wanting to use them if they have any alternative at all especially if they have to come into contact with any surface once inside.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I have enough trouble with people's first names, I'm trying to imagine meeting someone and remembering unique neopronouns along with their conjugations.

No see, you have to expend this effort for any and all human beings because you may hurt their feeling if you don't, god forbid.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

blowfish posted:

this would be a good thing because people caring about genders of other people (maybe apart from their friends/partners) is just a dumb loving thing that doesn't fulfil any useful function

Gender has a huge influence in such diverse fields of life like sports, dating and susceptibility to disease to count a few, so I wouldn't discount it as completely useless information.

Bulgogi Hoagie fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 28, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

SedanChair posted:

If somebody in real life demands to be called "xir" please get back to us here in the thread. Make sure you measure the single horn coming out of their forehead, as well.

I would also very much appreciate if this was done.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

blowfish posted:

I have sat in meetings where the chair opened by "I am %NAME, a %GENDER and %PRONOUN, and want to clarify this is a safe space for all sexual and gender identities and orientations" when the topic was something completely unrelated to gender or even identity in general so yeah occasionally tumbler does spill over into real life.

Student organizations do not count.

Also my condolences.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

They told me I could be any gender, so I became Goon.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

jivjov posted:

Do you have something against the idea of a group of people assuring all present that everyone is welcome?

There's more than one way to do it.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

SedanChair posted:

But this isn't surprising, because everything that isn't white and straight and male and cis is the same to you. Your enemies. And now you want special rights not to conform to basic expectations of politeness in public. I mean, you already have those rights, but like all reactionaries what you really want is not to be criticized.

There is no chill (in this paragraph).

Ddraig posted:

Granted some are more connected to the latter than we would like, as evidenced by this thread, but it's still generally accepted that a human is a human and a snow leopard is a snow leopard never never shall the two meet, in any sense.

You wait until Crispr/Cas9 really gets here.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

furiouskoala posted:

if their proponents can agree on a set of terminology to push.

You have no idea what you're asking for.

Also, your insistence that mental illness does not require treatment is rather interesting.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Krysmphoenix posted:

And what the gently caress is wrong with being a "special snowflake", especially with regards to gender which has been snared by the gender binary for so long? What's wrong with anyone wanting to break out of that and try to self-define themselves?

Nothing, but good luck trying to be taken seriously.

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

Science has always had some flexibility in what defines a species. Humans and Neanderthals could, for example, produce viable offspring, yet are classified as different species.

Hybrids are an accepted phenomenon is biology yes and Neanderthal-human hybrids had quite some trouble breeding.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Ddraig posted:

language is moving away from that.

Citation required.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

The earliest protozoa were sexless. Gender barriers happened at some point in the past, but the original biological intent of being able to produce viable genetic offspring has changed with the times as well.

How quickly on average do you oscillate between biology and sociology in your arguments?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

There are sociology disciplines devoted to intersectionality.

But you do understand that the biological concept of sex and the sociological concept of gender are very different and it is very meaningless indeed to attempt to extrapolate gender to Protozoa by veiling it as being the same as sex?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
If there is one thing people in this thread aren't very good at its answering each other's questions.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I just wanted to chip in and say that there is in fact some good evidence that hormonal development is connected to gender identity development, although of course gender development is multidimensional. Thus gender is not completely disconnected from biological sex.
This review gives a good general overview:
http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-neuro-061010-113654#/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-neuro-060909-153218

Interestingly, hormonal development also seems to be associated with sex-typed play. This study specifically looks at how adrenal androgen overproduction leads to more masculinised patterns of playful behaviour:
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2001-011531

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Brainiac Five posted:

Ah, the old "we are genetically programmed to conceive of cars and construction vehicles" saw.

I'm sorry?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
In addition, there is a very good news article in Nature on the topic of the relationship between gender and sex at the genetic and developmental level:
http://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943

Cingulate posted:

Everything is somehow connected. Almost no effect in the life sciences is precisely zero.

The concept of significance of an effect is rather important to good, reproducible science.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Brainiac Five posted:

Saying that playing with construction vehicles is caused by hormones relies on the assumption that we are genetically programmed to understand what a backhoe is

I disagree, as I have said gender identity is multidimensional, thus, while testosterone affects behaviour, how exactly it affects it depends on societal exposure (learning to use a backhoe is part of societal exposure).

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Brainiac Five posted:

That's what the researchers are arguing in their abstracts, though!

The JCEM study has found a relationship between fetal androgen exposure and the degree of masculinisation. Whether masculinity is a social construct or not this shows that hormonal development influences gender typing to some statistically significant extent, at least in congenital adrenal hyperplasia sufferers.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cingulate posted:

Yes, as a punching bag. Come say this sentence in the stats and psychology threads so we can all have a mean-spirited laugh!

Okay, you can't know this, but significance is not what you think it is. Significance refers to the detectability of an effect given a sample, not to the existence or importance of an effect. And in the brain and behavioral sciences, it is generally assumed that almost all possible comparisons have some non-zero effect that would come up as significant in a sufficiently large study. This does not mean the effect is of substantial magnitude; it does mean that an effect being significant has become an outdated statement.
Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine is a good book on how, to phrase it carefully, inconclusive and preliminary all of that research is.

Generally, no general statement can be objectively verified with empirics, and specifically, there is nothing objective in brains that says that some complex, common trait is or is not to be classified as a mental illness.

That transgender people's brains function differently from cis people is not a meaningful observation - it's either trivially true (what else do you think experiences a misfit between sex and gender, the liver?), or lacking substantial evidence. For now, we're not even remotely sure what the, if any, substantial differences between sexes are, and the studies on that have been much bigger.

It would be lovely to read a publication in a credible journal concerning what you said about significance, would you kindly point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Cingulate posted:

The most-cited text in this context is probably Cohen's "The Earth is Round (p < .05)". It's very readable, too. You can find copies everywhere, but here is one: http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~maccoun/PP279_Cohen1.pdf

Beyond that, it would actually be pretty hard to not come across a few of the vast number of recent papers that have been written on this. One easy way of finding more would be to look at any of the 3500 citations of Cohen's paper.
Psychological Science's Most Read list featured for a long time one of Cumming's many publications on the topic: http://pss.sagepub.com/content/25/1/7.abstract

In a similar vein, basically all major organizations have published some condemnations of significance tests in the last year, such as
Nature: http://www.nature.com/news/scientific-method-statistical-errors-1.14700
the ASA: http://amstat.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00031305.2016.1154108

Already in 1998, BBS published a defense of p values, indicating the strong tradition of criticism: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=30907&fileId=S0140525X98591169

And so on.
But really, you should just read Cohen's paper, twice. It's all in there.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Yup. There is this intuition that brain = biology = biotruths. But trivially, for two people to behave differently in similar contexts, their brains have to be different, and if two people with the same brain enter two different situations, they will leave with different brains. So finding structural MRI differences doesn't inherently tell you that there is an innate differences (phenotype vs. genotype).

This is actually really helpful, thanks!

• Locked thread