Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Crowsbeak posted:

Only if the society as a whole allows it. If it doesn't well tough poo poo.

gently caress transpeople if society doesn't think they have a right to determine their own identity.

Sure is some distilled crowsbeak in this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Crowsbeak posted:

I'm just telling it as it is. Sorry the world isn't exactly as you want it. But then the Rolling stones wrote this great song about this.

Crowsbeak posted:

Well you can try. But then starving children not proper pronouns is my priority.

Might makes right, philosophy 101 yeah yeah we get it and knew it already. Thanks for your incredibly obvious, incredibly valuable contribution to a thread discussing what we should be doing with that might.

waitwhatno posted:

OK, here is my horrible take on the subject. Ready?

Trans people should only be allowed to use the type of bathroom that corresponds to their legal sex. At some point you gotta draw a line between the genderfluid dweebs and the real transgender people. Legal sex could be this line. If you went to all the trouble to change your legal sex, you are probably pretty serious about it.

If people ask nicely about using a specific pronoun, I will use it. Cause, why not? But i'm not going out of my way to learn new random pronouns of the day and try to "apply" them by myself. gently caress that, I'm way too old for that poo poo.

Yeah I agree 100%. I'm not going to call you "xir" but if you want to be gender-neutral the singular "them" is a lovely word that already exists and is severely underused in English IMHO.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

XMNN posted:

im fine with this as long as all of them have urinals

Male privilege on display right here.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

good thing that is super easy to do in every state and not something that takes a long time during which period you sitll have to use the wrong bathroom

Government efficiency. Typical.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Effectronica posted:

How do you stop someone who hasn't legally had their birth certificate updated but passes from using the toilet that they visibly should be using? Do we have Potty Cops TM checking papers?

This is a pretty dumb question. If your behavior in a bathroom is questionable for whatever reason, the bathroom owner will tell you to get lost and if you refuse then the Real CopsTM show up to collect a trespasser.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Effectronica posted:

How do you stop people who pass from entering the bathroom, as waitwhatno is saying? Like, I get that your neural network looks like a pair of parallel lines, but please answer what is actually being written.

I'm not agreeing with keeping people out of bathrooms. I'm saying that waitwhatno's question is dumb. "So what if it's not 100% successful at stopping everyone, what is?" ~the opposition. And most transfolk I've known don't pass as their identified gender anyway.

Crowsbeak posted:

Not throughout the world. The individual is a rather recent creation of the west.

No, I'm pretty sure throughout the world you don't say "ow" because you psychically know if someone else stubs their toe.

Crowsbeak is kinda weird in that what he's saying about society being able to force people to do whatever isn't inaccurate, but gently caress if that isn't an obvious statement to make. What's the point of saying that unless in some way you're endorsing it? I guess the response would be that if society just refuses to respect the boundaries of someone's identity then maybe in that case it's good for society's enforcers to be in fear of someone with an AR15 and a grudge. Might making right and all that.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Remember everyone, don't like a law. Shoot someone. That always gets people to consider your argument.

Hey now, watch your individual thought there, it doesn't matter what you consider! If they manage to kill and/or intimidate everyone who'd try to stop them, they've earned the right to decide what's right, right?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Actually what matters is that the general society supports you. Then actual change happens. Your thoughts mean nothing if the other people in society do not hold them. If you cannot get them to see your way you might as well look for a society that holds your views then.

Just cut everyone who doesn't support you out of the kingdom of man. Turns out society didn't grant them a right to live after all. :kheldragar:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I have zero interest in remembering the 500 pronouns Tumblr can come up with. Don't like it? Get bent, I have better things to spend effort on. He, she, they it is. Pick one.

Frosted Flake posted:

Anything more than "they" is unnecessary and attention seeking. I mean, I don't believe you're genderfluid/queer or that that's even a real concept, but calling someone "they" is pretty inoffensive and harmless. Calling someone "xir/xe" or whatever is nonsense. You don't have to believe someone's weird beliefs to treat them kindly. I don't think God punishes people for eating pork but I wouldn't feed a Jewish or Muslim person something that wasn't kosher/halal.

Having said that, use whatever washroom. Ideally use the family/handicapped washroom, but not everywhere has that.

I'm convinced that transgender identity or being queer are more real than God but I just know I will never understand them, like, at all.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Is "they" the new "human being?" Our crack team of reporters investigates at 9.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Or we could use whatever the person we're talking to or about prefers because it's not difficult.

You say this now, I already have trouble remembering if it's "bloomself" or "bloomselves."

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Serious question: What does "xir" or any other rare pronoun like that mean that he/she/non-binary (the singular they) doesn't already cover? Is there a commonly accepted definition of xir?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I mean, no, if it really is that case that there's nothing new about "xir" versus "they" then I don't give a poo poo. I'd more than anything suspect I'm being trolled and made to be someone's monkey because that's usually how nonsensical poo poo is intended to work. If there's an aspect to the meaning of "xir" that I've missed please enlighten me.

TLDR you don't matter enough to deserve something besides he/she/they.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think it's in the dictionary and there's no single definition that I'm aware of.

Then I seriously don't give a single gently caress. Cisgender, transgender, all these new words describe actual concepts. He/she describe binary genders, they describe "not applicable." Words that describe changing genders aren't nonsense or redundant, as far as I can tell xir or other Tumblr poo poo is.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Your name also isn't in the dictionary and doesn't describe anything but it's nice for people to call you by it.

My name also isn't a pronoun, but if it was, it still wouldn't be describing a binary set of everyone being named Joe or Jane. Or being named "not applicable." Try again.

Who What Now posted:

Maybe you should ask someone who actually wants to be called that if you want to find out? I'm not going to the reasons genderqueer people identify as genderqueer on their behalf, I just know it's a trivially easy thing to treat them with the barest minimum amount of human decency.

I've never known or met anyone who is trangender or genderfluid IRL who uses anything besides he/she/they or who doesn't also think it's retarded.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Sweet, got it. You don't give a poo poo. Now do you have anything meaningful you'd like to add to the discussion, or are we just supposed to pat you on the back for being so cool and uncaring? Maybe post a thousand more times about how much you don't care.

Is this a tacit admission you can't think of any meaning for xir that isn't already covered by singular they?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Who What Now posted:

So you've never been asked to do it, but boy howdy are you upset that someone, somewhere, might be asking someone who isn't you to use a pronoun you don't like.

I'm sure not literally everyone on the internet is upset by your posting. What meaning does xir have that they doesn't? The gently caress even does xir, xer, etc etc mean? I'm 100% serious when I ask and nobody has yet to give me an actual answer, not just on these forums.

Horking Delight posted:

What would you do if your friend told you they were on a gluten-free diet because they had a gluten sensitivity (not celiacs)?

Kill them.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I know it's a novel principal, but maybe reach just slightly outside of your comfort zone for once in your life if you aren't satisfied with the answers you're getting. Or you can keep throwing tantrums that people, who again are not people you know, talk to, or have every even interacted with in your life, are possibly using a word that inexplicably makes you poo poo your pants.

Like I said, in my experience no one I've met or knew cared. But righteous mockery is the reason the internet was invented you know. :v:

If you can't give me an answer, there's no point in continuing anyway.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Then why are you arguing so hard that making a slightly different sound with your mouth is some sort of impossible burden?

So I take it that you won't be asking a genderqueer person, then? No, of course not, why actually try and understand something and possibly lose one of the last things your allowed to poo poo on and hate and not feel bad about it? Gotta have someone beneath you to feel good about yourself, after all.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I've never known or met anyone who is trangender or genderfluid IRL who uses anything besides he/she/they or who doesn't also think it's retarded.

I await the inevitable retort that I must not have spent time around more than a handful of trans or fluid folk. :allears:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This may have been covered in various pages,, but here's my take:

- "They" comes across as a tad impersonal in some ways, which may have driven the search for a Bonus Pronoun.
- The use of xir etc, relatedly, at present places a particular emphasis on "I wish to not be a shithead and acknowledge the uncomfortable position of those few people who like the novel third-person pronoun". There are probably horrid ways of putting this that involve words like "special snowflake" or more contemptuous ones.

I have no particular opinion on the topic of introducing a new third-person singular into the language to replace the very impromptu singular-they, although I'd be quite willing to politely use one if requested.

I do have strong feelings about the need for a second-person plural, but "y'all" clearly fills that niche. :colbert:

This Is A Good Post.

I can see the dehumanizing perspective on "them" because we're so used to it being used as a collective plural pronoun, but like I said I like the singular "them" because it brings back a totally ignored and legit gender-neutral pronoun to English. Tons of other languages have common neutral singular pronouns after all.

I agree with using "ya'll" though as I'm originally from the South. For fun, sometimes I'd troll New Yorkers when I lived there with it. I'd tell them not to say "you guys" because it was patriarchal, whereas "ya'll" was gender-inclusive. I can confirm that heads metaphorically exploded after hearing that.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Commie NedFlanders posted:

lol bless your heart

haha

ha

:smugissar:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

If you use xir instead of they I unironically think you're retarded and I refuse to join you in the short bus. Does that qualify as disdain?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

It's pretty rude to blow smoke up someone's rear end by pretending xir isn't stupid and wasn't beaten to the punch by they. IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Blog was a compound word that actually covered a new thing though? If I started calling it a webog when blog already existed would anyone bother?

Also this thread is regularly confusing transgender with genderqueer/fluid. You can be one or both. There's certainly some overlap between the two sets but if you're solely trans there's no automatic reason to assume you're going to want to be called anything but he or she.

• Locked thread