Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Human behavior is in part a function of the societies that they live in. It's impossible to conceive of a human being's behavior who does not live in some kind of society.

Anyway how do you observe something that only exists when it's being unobserved? I remember a funny monster description I ran into once with friends in D&D: the monster is invisible until seen. What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

That's a reasonable definition of some form of insanity.
Sure, the full-blown psychotic or sociopath may be physically interacting with society, but they're not living in it.

I'm not saying I have good evidence either way. You're actually free to question my own evidence base for my own policies. But right now I'm asking about yours. How strong is your evidence you base your behavior on? How confident are you in it?

I guess that would depend on the reasons for why they are not "living in" society. Those reasons could be related to the societies themselves, or they could be "natural" or physical reasons (brain tumor?).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

No it isn't? Hermits do exist. They're certainly rare but human beings living with close to zero social contact is a thing that has happened, even from a young age.

Yeah but that's what I mean, their human society is defined by the lack of it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

What?

If you create a person and then allow them to develop outside of society, what you get is a human without societal influence.

Yeah that's true. I was wrong when I said it was impossible to conceive it.

But it's impossible to create a person who has never interacted with society. I'm going to start by claiming that all human beings that have ever lived, were contained inside of a uterus at one point in their lives. This might be untrue, but if it is, then I would also claim that such an instance would be impossible without a society.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If you're going to say that it is impossible to create a human that has not had another human involved with it at some point, then yes, that's true.

But, like, there's a bit of a difference between that and someone who has societal influence. If you meet with maybe one or two other people your whole life and even then rarely, you're not going to be shaped by society to the degree that someone who lives around other people are. I would suggest that such a person is not, to a meaningful degree, influenced by society.

What you're talking about is a person who is influenced by a specific society. What I'm talking about is the idea of what a society is in a general sense. It's like "negative space" in art. The lack of substance defines its relationship to the rest of the material.

I did say that human behavior is only in part a function of their society. I'm not trying to assert that it's the absolute, most important thing to consider about any person (though I believe in most cases it is). I just don't think you can extricate the idea of society from a person entirely. It's always going to be there in some way acting as a force on their behavior.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

Because it performs better than your system, taking self declaration as authoritative. Do you dispute that?

You don't even seem to have a system. You said "a person's true nature is that which is their default". And when asked what the hell the default was, there isn't anything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Well you probably could if you just dunked someone in a forest somewhere and built a big wall around them.

But, I mean, I think it's certainly practical for people in particularly remote places to just not really be affected by society any more than they're affected by the phase of the moon. A person can live on their own assuming nobody else hassles them and they know how to sustain themselves. Which would provide an arguable default state for a human outside of society.

Yeah... and that's how society affects them. It's a 'negative structure' of society.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

My favourite part of all this progressive triumphalism is the assumption that society will advance in a way catered to them. I have a nagging feeling that instead of society casting down gender, changing language, sexuality and the 'cotton ceiling' being ripped asunder - a medication will come along to treat gender dysmorphia or a more effective
form of therapy will come about. It's strange to see liberalism hijacked to unfurl the banners and die on the hill of an admitted mental illness.

As an aside, what exactly does a xir do? I mean, why differentiate for a they?

They, them, their, etc. are pretty problematic words in the English language since they (poo poo) represent plural and singular pronouns. It might be tidier to create a new word, rather than add on to an existing word. But I definitely think there's a good argument either way.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm really having trouble understanding this concept. If a thing doesn't affect another thing, it doesn't affect it. There's no "negative effect" of that thing.

Ok, I understand. We can agree to disagree if you like.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Society is not based around everyone doing what feels right for them. That doesn't even make sense. Why does "xir" feel better than "they". What differentiates the two? What informs those feelings? Why should people indulge them?

The pronoun thing is really just one aspect of the marginalization of certain minorities. And by this I mean they are deprived of power in society, and therefore are oppressed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
"shut up and accommodate" would be ok if these conflicts about identity weren't a representation of a struggle against oppression.

I mean like, not everyone is treated by society-at-large the way you are. You're arguing as if everyone was you. But that's not the case!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So in other words, there are no male eggs/sperm or female eggs/sperm. They're all the same. Is that right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sidviscous posted:

No. It's that foetally we have both sets of ducts that differentiate into the male and female reproductive tracts. Sexual differentiation is initiated by a single gene (usually) on the Y chromosome, which causes a cascade of hormones which do everything else.

If you are insensitive to testosterone you develop phenotypically female. If that gene is actually present on the X chromosome you develop phenotypically male .. Plus many other configurations

Oh right, I forgot about the X and Y chromosomes. Also that genetic inheritance has a bit of randomness to it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If we have an innate identity, then I'd say it influences our gender by some factor. But I don't believe that it's likely that whatever innate thing this is would be nicely split down the middle. There are different gender norms throughout history and throughout different cultures, it doesn't make sense to me to say that there's a natural man identity/woman identity based on any contemporary social norms.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

It could just be possible that things that break rocks, make loud, destructive noises, and move a lot of dirt, and set fire to stuff, appeal to a more primitive side of masculinity or aggressive behavior. The backhoe itself is not the important part of such a concept.

All those things are the same thing as the backhoe within the framework of the discussion. Those are ideas that we use to construct an idea like masculinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

Without complex machinery in the picture, you could still swing a stick or make loud noises and it would appeal to more primitive and possibly masculine traits.

Ok why is swinging a stick and loud noises primitive and possibly masculine traits.

• Locked thread