Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This thread doesn't seem very well thought out considering you don't seem to know the meaning of the words you're using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

What about genderfluid hipsters? In particular, genderfluid dragonkin/flowerkin transspecies hipsters who refer to themselves as "bloomself"?

at some point it's not a legit identity anymore, just attention seeking by neglected tweens

You're mixing up a bunch of different things here in order to smear one group of people. Nobody here is talking about furries or otherkin or whatever the gently caress, except you. And gently caress you if you think that has anything to do with people who are transgender.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

I'm just telling it as it is. Sorry the world isn't exactly as you want it. But then the Rolling stones wrote this great song about this.

Got any hot takes about race relations while you're in the mood to tell it like it is? :allears:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pictured: a person who is legally a woman using the womens' restroom. As this person is legally a woman, surely no one would object.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I'm arguing in favor of other people in society, and suggesting that this effort to monopolize one's social presence is selfish and authoritarian. You are demanding that everyone else adjust to the identity you came up with in your head.

it seems obvious that "cultural appropriation" is bad, like a suburban white kid dressing up and acting the way he imagines black people act. We can all see how thst might offend some people if he walked into black neighborhood and started talking to everyone about his thoughts on race relations, as a black man. Race is a social construct just as much as gender, why is this considered inappropriate though? So why is "gender appropriation" considered okay?

For a fun game read this as referring to gay marriage. It's very easy.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It's like, I trust my Swedish friend when she gives her opinions as a Swede in America, but if someone born in Mexico decided they wanted to identify with Swedish identity, would it be wrong of me or my Swedish friend to reject their thoughts of America from a Swedish perspective?

And yet when trans people speak about their experiences, better look out cause CommieNedFlanders has a theory and knows better than you!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

if we weaken the inter-subjective network that holds us all together, you get people who are totally alienated from one another.

Oh my god do you even hear yourself? This is the flimsiest faux-intellectual handwringing I've seen in a minute. This is a thing that people have to deal with every day, a physical, mental, and emotional health issue. And you telling trans people that we need to button down and shut up because of your very grave concerns about the inter-subjective network is dumb as all get out.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

You can't really appropriate from the cultures forcefully spreading and colonizing, can you?

Oh you mean like cishetero normativity? :smuggo:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

The individual is a rather recent creation of the west.

Oh for real, I'd be fascinated to see your sources for "Only Western Europeans are Individuals, or at least until we taught the Orient how to do it."

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Kingfish posted:

Its only rude because xe people are looking to feel special.

And you know this how?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rudatron posted:

I cannot, nor am I interested in, creating an exhaustive list of the properties and behaviors that constitute a gender, both because it is irrelevant to my point, and only introduces more confusion.

How does this jive with you saying that you'd call a lesbian woman a man if she wasn't wearing feminine clothes? It seems like thinking that's a good thing to do requires a pretty clear set of properties that you use to judge someone's gender.

rudatron posted:

Effectronica, you may think you can hide behind a reregister, but you cannot. Your mistake was posting in dadchat, because no one sane would register for dadchat. I recognize your kind of thinking.

Can you please try to stay on topic? I don't know what this weird call out has to do with the topic of this thread.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I think "xir" is not being ridiculed only because a better alternative already exists. As a ridiculous word it draws attention to the absurdity of the whole concept. That in order to not behave how society believes your sex ought to act, you can't just challenge that assumption but reject society and withdrawal to an individualist island. Genderqueer doesn't mean anything because gender itself is a social construct. It reinforces the binary by positioning the binary as so absolute that the only way to not perform your role is to invent a new role held by only yourself.

A woman putting on a dress and make up also reinforces the gender binary, how mad do you get about that? Actually you calling people "he" or "she" reinforces the gender binary - are you telling me you only refer to everyone as "they"? Furthermore why should people sacrifice their own comfort and emotional needs in order to uphold your idea of correct gender performance?

SwimmingSpider posted:

how does having a gender outside of the binary reinforce the binary.

Because you see, it makes people think about gender, and that makes some people uncomfortable. "Gender is a social construct, stop caring about it" is similar to "I don't see race" as a way of shutting down discourse.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the trump tutelage posted:

If you believe that individualism is too dominant an ethos in Western culture, then it follows that you may not want to indulge someone with a de facto narcissistic concern with being perceived "correctly" regardless of how they actually appear, or someone who arrogantly insists that society reshape itself to accommodate them when is they who should accommodate society.

Anybody who would say this is being profoundly stupid and using too many words to say "shut up and do what society wants." A black person wants to sit at the front of the bus? How arrogant! A gay couple wants to get married? How narcissistic, accommodate society!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

the trump tutelage posted:

How violent is thinking society at large does not have an ethical obligation to accommodate atypical expressions of identity?

No, I'm aware that not everyone is me. From my privileged position, I can see that an individual's feelings aren't automatically sacrosanct just because they are felt intensely.

Do you think gay people should not fight for acceptance?

• Locked thread