Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

"Religious personal identity" is actually not a thing. You can't identify as a religion in the same way you identify as a certain gender. You are a member of Club Christianity, you are not Christianity itself.

Why is it valid to personally identify as a member of one social construct and not the other? There is no difference between gender and religious identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

A couple years ago this thread would have accused someone talking about xe/xer pronouns of concern trolling because they are obviously ridiculous.

Now they are cool and good I guess?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Some people want to be men, some people want to be women, some people want to be something else, some people want to be any and all of the above.

And some people want to live a life free from the specter of employment: this, I assume, is where xe/xer comes into play.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Performing gender is a two-way street.

Fantasy genders rightfully make people uncomfortable because they have no idea how to perform their own gender around starchild genderblobs.

E: weirdos can obviously call themselves whatever they want, as long as they don't expect to be taken seriously in an interview/application/classroom/anywhere outside of their hugbox.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 23, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

If a Man/Woman/Them can be, do, look like, act like anything, why be a xe?

Because that way they always get to be a persecuted underdog.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Yes, I'm sure you've seen all sorts of memes and tumblr posts about it.

Woah there, Mr. Just-Entered-High-School, do your parents know you stole their credit card to register an account here?

Ok, junior, if not out of respect then out of common decency.

Edit:

Supposed burden of proof or no, I want you to explain how you, personally, are negatively affected by calling someone by a non-standard pronoun. How does it harm you?

The Kingfish posted:

Performing gender is a two-way street.

Fantasy genders rightfully make people uncomfortable because they have no idea how to perform their own gender around starchild genderblobs.

Plus it's annoying and hard to remember. Also it's made up and it's stupid.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 23, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

So you think queers are icky. And?

That is the second time you've ignored content of my post. This sort of targeted intellectual ostracization is highly othering.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Trans identities aren't "self-constructed" and everything you tried to say about "being respectful" about trans people is a bold faced lie. You have a huge chip on your shoulder about trans people and you need to go and examine what bigotry and problems you have somewhere far away.

Trans identities are absolutely self-constructed. Trans people identify themselves the way they believe they would if they had been socialized as the opposite sex. Doubly so for xitards who just make their identity up as they go.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

"Hey it would mean a lot to me if you'd say xe instead of he when you talk about me."

"WHAT IS THIS MADNESS YOU ARE BEYOND ALL REASON THIS IS INSANITY!!!"

*uses they instead*

"WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU?!? NOW I'M GOING HOME TO KILL MYSELF!!!!"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Explain to me why trans identities are self constructed and cis identities aren't.

All identities are self-constructed to a point. Cisgender identities are constructed subconsciously.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Serious question: What does "xir" or any other rare pronoun like that mean that he/she/non-binary (the singular they) doesn't already cover? Is there a commonly accepted definition of xir?

"I derive pleasure from the attention I receive when others have to use my weird pronouns. I also like to feel victimized."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

No one said that. However, multiple people in this thread, yourself included, have said the other thing.

People in this thread have said they will use "they." The exact response I gave in the last post.

E: realistically speaking, I would agree to call them whatever to avoid conflict and then just not do it.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 24, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

A thought just occurred to me. What, exactly, is even wrong with being a "special snowflake"? What, are some of you proud of being without any sense of individuality? Do you take solace in your dull, bland, existences that are completely identical to so many others? Is that something that people should strive for?

People should distinguish themselves by their actions. Not by creating their own bland self-indulgent nicknames. It's like the absolute opposite of having an interesting personality.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

You think there's an inherent difference between cisgender and transgender identities and you believe trans people like to be victimized.

Do you really think you're anything other than a transphobe at this point?

Explain the exact differences between what it means to be identify as a woman while being trans and what it means to identify as a woman while being cis. Give examples.

I think gender queer xepeople like to be victimized, yes. I think transsexual people are just normal folk who got unlucky with their genes or whatev.

A cis woman acts without considering how to perform her gender because she does so subconsciously, a trans women, depending on how long ago her transition was, might have to consider how best to perform her new gender.

It's like how speaking your native language takes zero conscious effort because your brain developed while you were immersed in that language. If you learn another language later in life, then it's words will come less naturally to you and it will be difficult to speak without thinking until you have spent a long time immersed in the new language.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 24, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

How does that not apply to someone who does not want to be either male or female?

How does what not apply?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

No one likes to be victimized, and that is a very fundamental flaw that you don't understand.

That's not what I asked. That is a difference in performance of gender, not a difference in what gender means.
Some messed up people love to feel victimized because it provides a great excuse to not make anything out of their lives.

You asked for a difference in how cis and trans people identity and that's exactly what I gave you. There is no gender without performance so I don't really know what you think you are asking.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

What is the difference between what you described as being the experience of cis and trans people and those who identify as nonbinary?

Trans people adopt the performance of the gender that is typically assigned to the body that they feel they should have.

Non binary people adopt the performance of a gender which they create because of whatever reason. They do not perform the same way others do because they do not have a conception of a "correct" performance of their gender the way that cis and trans people do.

Xepeople adopt the performance of a gender which they create and have also come up with a cute name for it to draw attention to the fact that they are different from everybody else.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

In that case someone could argue that butch women aren't "women" in the same way that feminine women are, which is absolutely ridiculous.

No you couldn't, doofus.

E:^ and yet none of those examples have any barring on my point- that cis and trans women experience and perform their identities in different ways.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 24, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

That would certainly explain why you're trying as hard as you are to be a victim here.
I don't want to be a victim, I think that is bad.

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

If it's all about "performance" like you said then yes you could. If it's all about performance and perception like you've put it down to multiple times now, people absolutely could (and have) argue it.

What is the "performance" of "woman" as a gender?

I'm not here educate you. Why don't you make a fricken effort post if you wanna debate and discuss?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Then why are you arguing so hard that making a slightly different sound with your mouth is some sort of impossible burden?

I'm not saying that it's difficult though? It would be easy for me to do. I could do it, but I wouldn't because I think it's stupid.

E: it would be trivially easy for me to do. I am extremely good at making sounds with my mouth, and the sounds necessary probably aren't even that hard. I say probably because I have no idea how to pronounce "xe"

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 24, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

It's not even an inconvenience for you, like some of the others in the thread claimed, you just refuse because you're stubborn.

Question for everyone who refuses to use "new" pronouns because they're an abomination and change to the English language: Do you use the words "twitter," "tweet," "google," "wikipedia," etc.?

Those words mean new things, xe means nothing.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

I've already posited a question for you that you haven't answered. Please do not skip questions. You will not receive full credit.

I already told you that if you want to make a point you can post it yourself without this Socratic bullshit.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nobody itt even knows what "xe" is, but they do know that it is extremely serious and if you think it's dumb then you are a hate machine.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

sidviscous posted:

I'll take your focus on this as agreement with my substantive point - that having someone in this position tell you you're an rear end in a top hat does not constitute oppression.

Does referring to someone with the pronoun "they" instead of "xe" constitute oppression?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Self identity is a myth because there is no such thing as the self.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Effectronica posted:

Care to put this to the test, O avatar of GBS and the GBS mentality? Transmit a thought to my mind, since there is no subjectivity, and thus you will be justified.

You've addled your brain from smoking too much tronic.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Earlier in this very thread you claimed that there's a difference in how people self identify though. It's sort of like saying there's a difference between the Washington Bigfoot and the Virginia Bigfoot, but then shrugging and saying neither of them exist so it doesn't matter.

If you're not actually willing to discuss the topic, why do you continue posting at all? All you do is take petty potshots and bandy about transphobic rhetoric without even having the gall to defend it.

e:

I said there was a difference in the way that people perceive their identities and the way that they perform their identities.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

No I didn't.

I posted a response to a post and then was told to describe what gender is and how its performed. I'm not interested in writing an essay for you just to have it ignored or dismissed with a single sarcastic sentence - which is ultimately what would happen.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 24, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

^and wwn

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Literally nothing has been explained itt.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Effectronica posted:

I kind of enjoy the thought that having sex with someone is morally neutral, and forming your hand into a fist and swinging it repeatedly is morally neutral, rudatron. Not as much as I'll enjoy your continued refusal to explain why conformity being inevitable doesn't apply to stuffing gays back into the closet or inducing vitiligo on nonwhites, but does apply to nonbinary and trans fellows and making them use approved words for themselves.
Nobody is making anyone do anything.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

An impassible gulf between gender artists and functional adults.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

^ yikes

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Venomous posted:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but please stop doing this because the asterisk erases non-binary people, the term is just trans

likewise to anyone else in this thread who has used the term 'transgendered', that implies that by being trans one must have transitioned (medically or otherwise) whereas a lot of trans folk (especially NB people) don't transition at all, so please don't use it

thanks

What a mess.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

You realize sit ins and things like that weren't considered "peaceful" by a long stretch, right? They were considered riotous and illegal, which is why they had professionals brought in to perform them.

The fact of the matter is that the majority will always view the minority speaking out as a disturbance.

No. The sit ins were considered peaceful by the majority of Americans and their power came from the clear moral disparity between the protestors' actions and the reactions of white supremacists.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I don't read your posts because your posts are impossible to read. They are an assault on my senses lacking in any form of grace. To read more than a sentence written by you, electronica, is a burden that cannot be expected of anyone to bear.

E: nobody said the civil rights movement had mass support outside of the south.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 26, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Izola Curry was an deep cover FBI stooge.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nah. MLK was hated, but less so than his separatist contemporaries. He was idealized by the Very Serious People of his time and played the role of the reasonable actor who could be negotiated with.

E: it takes two: Malcolm X to rebel and MLK to reconcile.

E2:^ there are people in the center of your two extremes. These are the flies whom the honey catches.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 26, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What's your point?

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno LGBT rights are doing pretty well IMO.

Also having a leader kind of doesn't work when it's an alliance of many different people with different needs it becomes rather objectionable to have one or two people doing the negotiating for everyone.

Also the idea of having to negotiate with the powerful is kind of backwards because many modern movements work by subverting the population at large rather than targeting the top. Doesn't really matter what the crusty old farts think when you can naturalize the young to the idea.

The point isn't that MLK was an actual leader who negotiated with people or whatever. He was an ideological leader who stood for a set of principles, one of which was nonviolence.

You can naturalize the young, but the old still wield the political power both as office holders and due to their numbers and propensity to vote. I don't believed that the LGBT movement is s good analogy for other types of civil rights movements because of the ubiquity of LGBT people.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 26, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

You don't think that it was prominent, respectable LGBT people who gave the LGBT movement it's legs? I can promise you that if the LGBT movement was nothing but pride parades and stonewall riots there wouldn't have been nearly the advances that the community has seen today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Effectronica posted:

The point of talking about the decade between Brown v. Board and the Civil Rights Act is that it took a decade of people getting beaten and firehosed and attacked by dogs for public opinion to shift towards making a civil rights act politically possible, even with accepting the inevitable loss of the white South to the Democratic Party. That is, public opinion shifted slowly even with respectable victims and total pacifism.

But it shifted.

E:^ cool it, retard.

• Locked thread