Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

waitwhatno posted:

OK, here is my horrible take on the subject. Ready?

Trans people should only be allowed to use the type of bathroom that corresponds to their legal sex. At some point you gotta draw a line between the genderfluid dweebs and the real transgender people. Legal sex could be this line. If you went to all the trouble to change your legal sex, you are probably pretty serious about it.

I think people should probably be obliged to choose which gender they want to be treated as on a legal basis i.e. for things like bathrooms, hospitals/prisons, etc., if only because our system is so set up around the dichotomy that changing it anytime in the near future seems nightmarishly complicated. It should be possible to change one's legal status, multiple times in one's life if need be, but it shouldn't be a "what day of the week is it?" situation (not that anybody other than strawpersons was calling for it to be).

I've managed to make this statement without, I hope, snarkily invalidating anybody without a binary gender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I mean, if you want to directly compare the gender thing to the religious thing, I would argue that religious people should have exactly the same rights as transgender people, and vice versa. I fully oppose transgender people making laws that marginalize non-transgender people. I'm not aware of any cases where that's happened, but if it were to, I'd be opposed :shrug: Likewise, I support the right of anyone to identify with and move through society as a member of the religion of their choice, as long as they don't invalidate or marginalize others.

(nb-- things that do not marginalize or invalidate cisgendered people: Making an effort to use someone's preferred pronoun. Letting someone use the restroom that most closely matches their preferred gender, as long as they've demonstrated the usual bona fides. Letting someone have equal access to medical care and protections of the law. Etc. etc.)

The "but which identity is the most rightest kind of identity?" stuff is sort of a red herring IMO, at least when we're talking about practical social policy rather than, say, scientific inquiry. Both categories of identity should, all else being equal, be more than tall enough to ride the rollercoaster of respect and human dignity.

• Locked thread