Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Veep is sure striking out in its own direction vis a vis The Thick of It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I was convinced last time I saw Jonah's uncle that it was the guy from Ally Mcbeal, and just went to confirm it right now. He looks identical to himself almost 20 years ago.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

whalesteak posted:

Lol at the bit about Jonah's only two brain cells buttfucking each other in the dark recesses of his misshapen skull. I like to imagine the writers watching the fan compilations of insults and looking around the room, all agreeing "we can do better."

AM I the only one who finds the insults to be a bit forced and unnatural compared to TTOI?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
But I still don't understand why his Groupon was rejected? He said it was $50 for $100, he doesn't say how much his order is but the host/restauranteur then says his order was over $100? I've used Groupon lots in my day and it doesn't really matter how much your order is, if its over the amount, you pay the extra, and if its under you don't get a refund, but they would still accept it?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ShakeZula posted:

Selina's takedown of that Colorado congresswoman was some next-level poo poo

"I'm gonna send the IRS so far up your husband's colon, he's gonna hope the only thing they find is more cancer"

The district in Colorado where they are going to build warships?

Also Patton Oswald did this after his wife's death?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Chinese thought they were being blown off so the president could make out with her daughter while wearing a priceless piece of Chinese cultural heritage.

I didn't get that? They just decided to suddenly up the bluster as a negotiating tactic. It didn't seem like the daughter thing went anywhere.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What?

I mean the making up of an excuse was a lie I guess but making up an excuse to leave the table isn't really an uncommon social ploy in a normal context, and in any case how do they know that Meyer didn't also talk with the Prime Minister of Kuwait? The making out with the daughter is a strange thing but why should they be offended by it? It has nothing to do with them, the reaction of the Chinese upon discovering Catherine isn't outrage, just "oh poo poo we shouldn't be here" awkwardness.

The subsesequent Chinese upping of their demands is also unrelated. Are you guys suggesting that the Chinese came to the negotiations with the idea that they would go for X, but then unintentionally walked into the President making out with her daughter, and as a result decided to dramatically expand their demands? How does one follow the other? They are two separate jokes, the second joke was that Minna's plan actually worked, and better than they thought because Meyer's anger when she pounded on the table was actually genuine.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

Good stuff as always, for all the reasons already mentioned. I'm always amazed that I somehow manage to miss more jokes in an episode of Veep that there are in entire episodes of some other, lamer shows.

So this is why they say TVIV is bad at watching television shows. Yes, getting caught in a lie like that during high-level negotiations is really pretty bad, this isn't just bullshitting to get out of your coworker's stupid party. Like imagine if Obama told Putin that he had to cancel because his grandma died but was instead seen making out with his daughters in the west wing five minutes later or something. Both of these would be pretty serious breaches of protocol and would basically tell the Chinese how little Selina cares about them and the negotiations.

They actually say in-show that the Chinese wanted to demand the islands all along. But it could be connected to the first incident because being insulted like that is good excuse to ask for more poo poo during the negotiations - you're being a bitch to us so we'll need more concessions from your side to make this deal acceptable for us. I'd need to rewatch the episode to see how well this is actually supported but logically it totally makes sense. You're correct about Minna's plan though.2

But there is no logical connection between the 2 events. Even if the Chinese are as insulted as you say, which is a stretch and not actually shown at all, how does that change their actual bargaining position? Were they *not* going to ask for recognition of the islands had it turned out that Meyer was a competent host?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just realized that "going hallway to hallway" is some kind of sex thing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
WHat's the deal with ben and his wife? Was there supposed to be a joke in there somewhere?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Narcissus1916 posted:

Ben's made several hilariously racist jokes about the Chinese this whole season.

I'm 100% sure hs wife is a Filipina, which I thought was actually a pretty realistic(like everything else in this show) reflection of the healthcare industry - Filipinos are vastly more overrepresented in nursing than is typically shown in the whitewashed media.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

xbilkis posted:

The joke is that she is a white woman from Ohio named Laura who married a Mexican man and started playing that up for political purposes

And became a senator in New Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorry to interrupt the Game of Thrones chat but I was just rewatching the finale and does Doyle pronounce Montez's name "Monte-th"? I think that's only a thing in Castilian Spanish and not in Latin American Spanish.

• Locked thread