Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Veep is as commanding as ever in its excellent fifth season

quote:

The changing of the guard leaves Veep in a precarious position, perhaps for the first time in its history, because the “showrunner leaves and show goes to poo poo” narrative has become so deeply ingrained in the public’s understanding of how television storytelling works. And given Iannucci’s singular, outsider voice and the crystalline vision for his funhouse-mirror reflection of American politics, he seems like an especially tough act to follow. But the fifth season of Veep doesn’t just win the expectations game, it just wins. The rapid-fire, acid-tongued dialogue hasn’t changed, nor has the almost unfathomable ratio of zingers per minute. With a cast this talented—Julia Louis-Dreyfus remains at the height of her talents—the only thing that could go wrong is the writing, but it’s as assured and hilarious as ever.
http://www.avclub.com/review/veep-commanding-ever-its-excellent-fifth-season-235646

I'm loving ready for this :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's weird that some great shows like Silicon Valley and Americans get like a dozen comments each. Doesn't really matter as long as they don't get cancelled.

This episode looks strong, too bad I'all only get to watch it tonight.

Stare-Out posted:

I went through the previous seasons in preparation and the second season episode "Running" is a complete masterpiece. Selina walks through a glass door and subsequently gets high on an unfortunate mix of anti-depressants and painkillers and that whole part of the show is the funniest thing ever. JLD nails it.
Yeah what's up you loving Lorax!?!

That's one of my favorite episodes of the show. It sets up a great situation and has a ton of amazing lines that I don't think has been matched so far. Like the "white detective investigating a murder of a black man" one which iirc is also from this episode.

precision posted:

I mean, you'd almost have to be at this point.

Stoked for more of Jonad the Barbarian.
That's pretty easy as I never got into GoT in the first place, but in any case Verp is definitely one of the highlights of the season.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 25, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, and it's weird because at once it feels like nothing changed after Iannucci's departure, but as you say it also feels like it got some new energy. And this episode in particular was ridiculously strong, drat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A couple of seasons ago Selina was loving her fitness instructor, so the Charlie Baird thing didn't even stand out to me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good stuff as always, for all the reasons already mentioned. I'm always amazed that I somehow manage to miss more jokes in an episode of Veep that there are in entire episodes of some other, lamer shows.

Throatwarbler posted:

What?

I mean the making up of an excuse was a lie I guess but making up an excuse to leave the table isn't really an uncommon social ploy in a normal context, and in any case how do they know that Meyer didn't also talk with the Prime Minister of Kuwait? The making out with the daughter is a strange thing but why should they be offended by it? It has nothing to do with them, the reaction of the Chinese upon discovering Catherine isn't outrage, just "oh poo poo we shouldn't be here" awkwardness.

The subsesequent Chinese upping of their demands is also unrelated. Are you guys suggesting that the Chinese came to the negotiations with the idea that they would go for X, but then unintentionally walked into the President making out with her daughter, and as a result decided to dramatically expand their demands? How does one follow the other? They are two separate jokes, the second joke was that Minna's plan actually worked, and better than they thought because Meyer's anger when she pounded on the table was actually genuine.
So this is why they say TVIV is bad at watching television shows. Yes, getting caught in a lie like that during high-level negotiations is really pretty bad, this isn't just bullshitting to get out of your coworker's stupid party. Like imagine if Obama told Putin that he had to cancel because his grandma died but was instead seen making out with his daughters in the west wing five minutes later or something. Both of these would be pretty serious breaches of protocol and would basically tell the Chinese how little Selina cares about them and the negotiations.

They actually say in-show that the Chinese wanted to demand the islands all along. But it could be connected to the first incident because being insulted like that is good excuse to ask for more poo poo during the negotiations - you're being a bitch to us so we'll need more concessions from your side to make this deal acceptable for us. I'd need to rewatch the episode to see how well this is actually supported but logically it totally makes sense. You're correct about Minna's plan though.2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's a way more depressing episode than I expected from Veep, but I enjoyed it even though it wasn't very funny at all. I have no idea how they'll make the next season work after this, but I'm glad she's not back to being veep again, so let's see.

GigaPeon posted:

Although him not knowing how to use a phone and accidentally making it public in the cloud would be.

He's not Richard so that's probably not going to happen.

E: I hope he and Selina did gently caress and are going to have adorable babies E2: and not 6 year old ones

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 29, 2016

• Locked thread