Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The funniest show on TV is back Sunday, April 24th on HBO!

TRAILER

Mandatory Wikipedia Blurb posted:

Veep is an American television series, starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, set in the office of Selina Meyer, a fictional Vice President, and subsequent President, of the United States. The series was created by Armando Iannucci, who created the British political comedy series The Thick of It, and also wrote and directed that series' film spin-off In the Loop (2009), all of which feature the same writing staff.

Veep premiered on HBO on April 22, 2012, with an eight-episode season. This was followed by a second season of ten episodes debuting on April 14, 2013. On May 1, 2013, HBO renewed Veep for a ten-episode third season that began on April 6, 2014. On April 21, 2014, HBO ordered a fourth season of Veep, which premiered on April 12, 2015. On April 13, 2015, HBO ordered a fifth season of Veep. The fifth season will premiere on April 24, 2016.

Veep has received critical acclaim and won several major awards. It has been nominated four years in a row for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series, winning the award for its fourth season. Its second season won the Writers Guild of America Award for Television: Comedy Series, and its third season won the TCA Award for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy. Louis-Dreyfus has won four consecutive Primetime Emmy Awards, one Screen Actors Guild Award, two Critics' Choice Television Awards and one Television Critics Association Award for her performance.

The fourth season ended with Selina Meyer as standing president caught in an unprecedented tied election for the presidency with Republican candidate O'Brien. The fifth season will mostly focus on the subsequent voting and may see Meyer's current Vice President and super-popular man-of-the-people Tom James (Hugh Laurie) becoming president instead. Former showrunner/producer Armando Iannucci (The Day Today/I'm Alan Partridge/The Thick of It/In The Loop) stepped down at the end of the fourth season and was replaced by David Mandel (Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Three days to go! Also, Veep just got confirmed for a 6th season coming in 2017!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I went through the previous seasons in preparation and the second season episode "Running" is a complete masterpiece. Selina walks through a glass door and subsequently gets high on an unfortunate mix of anti-depressants and painkillers and that whole part of the show is the funniest thing ever. JLD nails it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Great start to the show, bunch of laughs in there. Selina eyeing up the "lookalike" in disbelief was a good gag. Also I agree that Richard is a gem of a character.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

" :) She's from El New Hampshire. :laffo:! "

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope they do more stuff on Sue's age. Also I like the thought of Kent watching something like The Godfather. He'd want to be the consiglieri.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Someone please gif Jonah's pained walk in his snazzy new boots. I liked the foreshadowing for it in the earlier scene with the quick shot of Jonah checking out the Nevada guy's boots.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Chris Addison of "The Thick of It" directed the latest episode. Thought that was pretty interesting.

He's been a part of the writing/directing team since the first season I think. He probably did similar stuff on The Thick of It and In The Loop too and Iannucci brought him along for Veep.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also Mike's reaction at the end, holy poo poo.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"There are so many friendly and diverse faces here and I wish that mother were alive to see.. this on her property."

Gary slumped in the wheelchair like Hawking killed me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jolly Green Jizz-Face was a good one though absent from that list.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh man, that Gary and Dan moment.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't think his Clark Kent-glasses have lenses in them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The clumsy editing when Jonah is chopping wood was total Partridge, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK__FI5UZCY

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dazerbeams posted:

"My boyfriend's not a billionaire!" End shot of him and Dan holding hands in front of a cheering crowd.

Haha I totally missed this. I hope they run with it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Helsinki is one of my favorites too, not least of all because I'm a Finn myself and about 99% of the episode survives scrutiny. They got almost all of it right; cop cars and police uniforms and stuff like that, the only iffy parts were when characters spoke Finnish (Dave Foley and Sally Phillips mostly, though they were both excellent in the episode and being non-Finns it's understandable), and in one scene they had the wrong kinds of dumpsters for Helsinki which was kinda funny.

E: Also, "Danteeksi" was pretty clever.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 2, 2016

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I loved how Richard was still so in character as Jonah's old teacher that he scolded Jonah for swearing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

As great as that ep was, for some reason Mike's phone going "gracias!" got the biggest laugh out of me.

Illinois Smith posted:

Yes but on the other hand who gives a flying gently caress? I'm sure Minna's last appearance also had some questionable Finnish in there.
Her Finnish is patchy at best and sounds nothing like how a Finn would speak it. But it's funny so I don't give a rat's.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Drop Meyer and all of the cast members related to her and have the whole show focus around Jonah's office and how he fucks everything up and votes the wrong way on stuff.
What a bad idea.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"... I think some guy hosed a monkey." :confused:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Great capper. I would watch a political drama with JLD as the lead. She's so good.

So Jonah has ball cancer.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

gohmak posted:

Wait, the show isn't over?

Stare-Out posted:

Three days to go! Also, Veep just got confirmed for a 6th season coming in 2017!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nice little missed moment in the ep where Richard realizes his mom wasn't his mom and Selina just snaps him out of by being her drunken self-centered self.

• Locked thread