Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I forgot Laurie's still in this season, such a great addition to what was already my favorite cast in comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Popelmon posted:

Also Catherine's film is going to bite them in the rear end real bad.

Came here to post this, looking forward to both her popping up in the background while people say heinous poo poo and especially the payoff to five seasons of Selina being the world's most horrible mom.

I was worried about Iannucci leaving but the writing hasn't lost a step. Richard lording it over Jonad is gonna be the best and I hope Craig Cackowski joins their posse for the whole season.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I mean, two of the first three shots (the one after the TV speech and the one of Ben & Bill in the hallway pictured above) are of stuff even Catherine probably knows Selina will never, ever let her use. I doubt she'll show it to anyone before it hits the internet.

Then again, Selina thinks Caherine will forget about it in a few weeks, so it's entirely possible Selina forgets about the whole thing after they kick her out of the room. Whatever it is, the payoff is gonna be glorious.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 25, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Loved the old guy Ben likes casually dropping that Sue has been workin there since the 80s.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

twoot posted:

I wondered if they are setting up a punchline about this old campaign operator guy having dementia and nobody bothering to check it out - with him confusing Nebraska with Nevada he might be confusing Sue for another black woman who used to work at the White House.
Oh right, I didn't even think of that.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

quote:

Even before I asked myself the question, “Why can’t they raise boneless chickens?” I already had the answer. I don’t even know why I asked the question. Must be getting close to lunch.

But now that I think about it, they can grow square potatoes. (I think they do it in a mold. I saw one once.) So maybe boneless chickens are a possibility. But what kind of life would a boneless chicken have? Okay, sorry I suggested it.

quote:

Had the freakiest dream last night. I went to brush my teeth, and the tube was clearly marked ‘gel,’ but regular white toothpaste came out. I was like, ‘this has to be a dream.’ Luckily, it was.

I’ve heard that tooth dreams are about the fear of getting old. That isn’t something I worry about much, though, so I don’t know.

quote:

Upon watching The Avengers again last night (thank you, TBS!), struck by this realization: When the Chitauri attack New York, the police and national guard seem completely overwhelmed, even though they are armed with assault rifles. But Romanoff and Barton are able to kill dozens of them with a handgun and bow and arrow, which would presumably have a shorter range and less stopping power than military assault rifles. So, what’s up, National Guard? Are you guys just really bad shots? Panicky under pressure? Other than the big flying monsters, if these guys are vulnerable to arrows and 9mm bullets, shouldn’t you be able to stop them? Filpside, Loki — this is the best invading force you can come up with? How are you going to imprison the Earth with a few hundred dudes who can’t handle arrows? The whole movie is starting to unravel on me. Don’t get me started on Ultron.”

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, he's directed 2-3 episodes every season since the 2nd. This year he even did four of the first five.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Is Selina's comment about the queen gonna be what leads to Cuntgate?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I forgot, what's gonna happen now that she's lost the re-count?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The Dan parts this episode are amzing. Him turning into Tom James' Gary (especially the moment where he realizes it in the kitchen), then getting chewed out by Garry f'n Gergich.

Jonah running for office has me soiling myself with excitement. Did anyone else catch that he originally came to the White House as a 3-week temp? You're not gonn get rid of this guy!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The Brookheimers are like the bizarro Gergiches.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I didn't think it was possible for them to do a better Jonad story than Ryantology but this is loving amazing.

Kind of sad CUNTGATE wasn't about Selina calling the queen a oval office but at least we got her going full Nixon. Also I hope this wasn't Slattery's last appearance.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I really, really can't wait for Catherine's movie to drop. It's gonna be glorious.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

xcore posted:

What was the joke with Mike seeing O'Brien at the Korean BBQ place? Is it to do with being stood up at dinner, the fact he is making moves for the presidency with key bigwigs or something else?
It wasn't a joke, the point was that Tom James, the guy in charge of saving the economy, is sneaking around with Dan & Amy's old lobbyist boss.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh poo poo, I forgot about him sneaking Purcell's clients into his speeches!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, Mike would never invite Tom James to something like this.

I've said it before when people keep comparing TTOI to Veep but it bears repeating: The biggest difference between the two shows isn't the setting or whatever the gently caress else you want to pin it on, it's Mike. Because he's the guy who has the closest analogue to Malcolm's job, and he's his polar opposite.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Great episode, for some reason the biggest laugh for me was I KNOW ALL ABOUT HOW YOU'RE TRYING TO gently caress ME WITH THAT ABSTINENCE PROGRAM OF YOURS

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 6, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

oh right, I knew I forgot something

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Haha, the Helpful Links section is seven links to various New Hampshire things and then a link to Tom Petty's website at the end.

And the Donate page says his campaign has raised over six grand so far. :)

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 6, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

drainpipe posted:

I wonder how they manage to translate Veep into other languages for the DVD sets.
From my experience watching nothing but dubbed movies and TV shows for the first 15 years or so of my life, my guess is "very loving poorly".

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Lycus posted:

And in Season 6, Jon H. is going to be a congressman, but still come by to hang around with the main cast all the time.
Yeah, I hope they actually let him beat his old teacher instead of resetting his character again after this season. Seeing the version of Jonah with some actual political clout instead of a head filled with delusion and an influential uncle would be rad.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

it is just you

NEXT

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't need the sex poo poo though, its HBO and all but
what is this the GoT thread?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

This whole complaint with sex in the show is super weird.
It's all a combo of people looking for reasons the show may or may not have jumped the shark + reasons the show may or may not be worse due to Iannucci's absence.

Spoiler alert: It's still great.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIbzUnhTp4

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

episode leaked and holy poo poo the epilogue is loving glorious

a terrorist aids virus in the tiniest suicide vest ever made

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

some GREAT Gary faces in this one

Hollismason posted:

Good God the set up for the Chinese thinking that Selina and her daughter were making out.
Yeah, that paid off beautifully. Also loved everone's horrified reaction to Selina making GBS threads on her daughter at the start. "Your daughter is a beautifum woman. This is a piglet."

Vegetable posted:

Also white characters pretending to be fluent in Chinese without any sense of self-awareness is insanely embarrassing. Reminds me of the time House of Cards tried to do it.
Do you mean Minna? Because yes, how dare the Finnish international peacemaker character, who is portrayed as super competent compared to our gang of idiots, speak another language besides English on this comedy show!

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 13, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Vegetable posted:

I'm saying the Chinese she's speaking is actually real bad.
Yes but on the other hand who gives a flying gently caress? I'm sure Minna's last appearance also had some questionable Finnish in there.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

The way the chinese guy spoke to Mike about his child, i wonder if they approached his wife to have her do some information gathering for them on the white house in exchange of the kid. Like Mike got spy bugs on him without knowing it and the chinese guy assumed he was in on the Child for informations deal.
What? The reason Mike's adoption didn't go through was because of the sanctions. Selina lifted the sanctions this episode, so his adoption went through and now Mike is gonna be a triple dad because they forgot to opt out of the adoption after going with the surrogate.

Looking forward to Daddy McClintock almost as much as Congressman Jonah. :)

edit: you're dead to me splettnet

quote:

At the end of the day, a pizza is just a hot open-faced caprese sandwich. And pretty much the rest of the day, too.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 13, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The Chinese President flat-out tells Selina at the end that they've hacked her e-mail, why would they need to use Mike or his wife for anything?

Also the guy knows about Mike's adoption because he's security for his president on a clandestine mission and doing a background check on, say, Selina's press guy who's gonna be there is his loving job.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 13, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I mean, they made "Marge looks like Selina from behind" jokes to build up to this for the whole season. Including earlier in this episode with Andrew.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

As fun as Selina actually being in charge has been (complete with her own Nixon moment during Cuntgate) I think I'd prefer a return to her constantly being poo poo on and scrapping for some level of influence, only with a hyper-smug Hugh Laurie instead of an anonymous POTUS just out of frame.

Either way I'm super excited to see where they take it. The whole thing probably getting decided by a combo of Jonah and Catherine is fantastic.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 13, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

On rewatching the episode I also really liked Mike twitching on the couch next to Selina until she grabs his knee.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

why do all of you keep spelling her name wrong

have some respect for POTUS for gently caress's sake

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

He was also on the new CBB season last week, great episode.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I mean, Jonad In Charge would probably make a great spin-off show but not really something I'd want to see as the focus of Season 6 of Veep.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 17, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Perfection. I was hoping they'd do an episode like this and they knocked it out of the loving park.

Can't decide what I loved the most: Kent's bike gang? Selina's Nixon story? Gary (with hair!) hip checking 'lil Catherine off the stage at the start? So many great little moments.

GobiasIndustries posted:

her dancing naked dude thing at the start of the episode had me in tears laughing.
holy poo poo yes

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

if you wanna know who we aaaaaaaare

we are gentlemen of japaaaaaaaaaaaaan

splettnet posted:

One From the Memory Box

Auntie had a cat named Ralston that used to run away all the time, but then I discovered that she’d found the cat in a neighbor’s front yard, thought it looked sad, and took it home. So maybe the cat wasn’t running away at all — it was running home. Ralston. World-class hisser, that cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Also Catherine's appearantly working on a comprehensive and compelling oral history of oral histories.

• Locked thread