Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Geolicious posted:

Thank you for this. My Henry Cat does this and I never had a good name for it except "laying with his drumsticks out".

When dogs do it I've always called it frog dogging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Omg! Is that a babby booby?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Man they're cute.

And they give me an excuse to repost this. It's been posted a zillion times but it's important new posters see it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DarklyDreaming posted:

Frog doing homework:

Don't look now, but your frog's a toad.

Edit: to be a little more helpful for the amphibian deficient, see those bulbous sack looking things on on his, uh, neck? Those are venom sacks. Only toads have them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's a snail you racist motherfuckers :mad:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

drrockso20 posted:

That kind of pic gets funnier after you find out that Khajit in Elder Scrolls can also look like regular cats, and not just the anthro kind you see in the games(they can also end up as big cats as well)

Also like humans with tails

and apparently barbed penis

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Oct 7, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Azhais posted:

I'd take a "Beware of Swan" sign far more seriously than most "Beware of Dog" signs

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Oct 16, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

http://i.imgur.com/nbmSFJT.mp4

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Seeing "hedgehog" and "massage" in the same sentence just makes me think of this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

JackMann posted:

I wanna rub its tummy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Edit: though he looks kind of CG

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lady Morgaga posted:

Puppy with spindle shaped pupils? There are no dogs with eyes like that afaik.

Do foxes count?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

http://i.imgur.com/Z9n8i06.mp4

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Eponine posted:

I did this thing. And fed it. It's kind of like feeding a cow; their lips are so velvety but very good st putting the food into mouth. Also they are so goddamn big.

Multiply that mass by about three and you've got a triceratops. Wanna pet one of those. 7k pounds versus 25k.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RareAcumen posted:

That big white dog is so dainty looking.

Borzois are ridiculous creatures.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's the cuts back and forth between van and cat that gets me. Also: TWANG.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Alter Ego posted:

That squirrel is REAL fat yo.

Maybe she's just inflating her air bladder for increased buoyancy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SubponticatePoster posted:

Counterpoint: the goddamn pigeons at my office building.

Our building is 14 stories high and starting on the 3rd floor up, we have these nice balconies. That nobody uses. Because they are filled with pigeons/pigeon poo poo. Every few months we go through the same ritual: balconies are crusted several inches deep in the corners with pigeon poo poo. Building maintenance comes in and pressure washes the poo poo out, then apply "bird repellent" which is basically glue. That the pigeons then stand in. So they end up with disgusting booties of feathers and poop, but continue standing in it anyway. Rinse and repeat. I have worked there for 11 years now, and while the repellent is a recent thing poo poo-crusted balconies are not. There are plastic patio chairs out there that have been turned upside-down so the pigeons don't drop 6" of poo poo in the seats. They're basically pigeon jungle gyms. Now I don't know why they don't just put up some loving netting or something to keep them out in the first place, but here we are.

Also we're repeatedly exposed to the miracle of the pigeon circle of life. For not only do the pigeons poo poo out there, they nest out there too. In the poo poo. This past year I documented the idiocy of a particular pair who made our 11th floor balcony their home. Soft breezes of spring blow, and the balcony has been sublet. Our pair - we'll call them Bertie and Bob - decide it's time to raise a family. So Bertie lays a solitary egg on the floor in the corner. Right in a gigantic mound of poo poo. Bob tries to be responsible and build a nest. So he brings back nesting materials. Which consists of a single 3.5" stick. That's it, that's the whole nest. Bertie sits on her stick n' egg and the poo poo too. Sometimes. Mostly it just sits there with the stick. I decide I can't watch this anymore, and fetch a lid from a box of envelopes. I take material from the shredder and put it in the lid, then place the egg and the stick inside. Bertie and Bob are confounded and stare at their most-likely-dead egg (since Bertie probably spent a grand total of 2 hours over 2 days sitting on it) in something that actually approximates a nest. The egg is not viable.

Well, it was a tragedy but one they quickly recovered from. Bertie lays another egg in the box next to the first, so they at least figured out what it was for and hopefully the new egg would stand a better chance at surviving. Alas no, Bertie and Bob also ignore the new egg so it also perishes. A couple of days after that Bertie lays a third egg in another corner of the balcony. In a puddle of bird repellent aka glue. Sitting in glue is uncomfortable so attempt #3 also dies. The next week Bertie lays a fourth egg next to the box containing two of her three dead children. And promptly ignores it. You could now make a fairly decent-sized omelette with all these eggs.

Later that same week Bob steps up his game and makes a real nest this time, Bertie lays a pair of eggs and they manage to hatch them and raise them to adulthood. This is in a completely protected area, devoid of predators. How pigeons manage to survive is a goddamn mystery to me.

They have also on at least 2 occasions flown into the patio door when nobody was around. We know this because the person who sits right next to the patio door has never seen them fly into it, and yet there were 2 very clear bird-dust silhouettes (like literal bird prints right down to individual feathers) splashed on the glass. I have pictures of all these things, but I am at work and can't post them.

If :downs: is a bird, thy name is pigeon.

Thanks for posting this story in the cute thread.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There used to be an aquarium store near my house where the owner had a pair of colossal Dalmations. They'd just walk over and lean on you for affection. If you were unlucky it was while you were near a wall, and you'd be trapped there petting them.

Back when I was like eleven my mom was dragging me along on errands. We went into a generic pet store. There was a young rhodesian ridgeback that wanted to play. He walked up and grabbed me by the crotch of my pants and started dragging me around the store. The cashier was about to call him off, but my mom stopped her and laughed her rear end off as I was lead on a grand tour.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

(This rat is helping clear land mines in Cambodia. Their noses are sharp enough to find mines, even ones metal detectors can't detect, but they aren't heavy enough to set the mines off.)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"Ears, Nestor."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tony Phillips posted:

Yeah. That's Lard rear end. I've posted about him before, but he's a stray that showed up at my parents place in rural Texas about 5-6 years ago and pulled the "This is where I live now" stunt. Not sure how many fights he got into, but he lost approximately all of them.

You should have seen the other guy. :colbert:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

chitoryu12 posted:

Considering the intelligence of corvids, I wouldn't be surprised if he was showing up to return a pencil he saw someone drop.

They recognize object categories, so it's entirely possible he knows this is where pens go.

I can't remember where I saw this, but a while back I read about a little girl who left food out for the crows that hung out in her back yard. The crows started bringing bits of glass and soda can tabs in exchange. :3:

Edit: didn't notice at first, but a YouTube of exactly that is posted in a reply to that very tweet

Edit 2: and two posts up :eng99:

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Dec 31, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

StandardVC10 posted:

Ohmygod look at his big nose! :3:

In case you were not aware, they also make delightful noises.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

chitoryu12 posted:

when the moon hits ur eye like a big pizza pie. thats amore.
when u swim in a creek and an eel bites ur cheek. thats a moray.

When the eel in the reef takes your heel in its teeth, that's a moray
What's covered in spots and likes living in rocks, that's a moray

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bud K ninja sword posted:

savannah cat? I want one soooo bad

I've always wondered what would happen if you crossed a Savannah and a Bengal.

Or a sphinx. Can you imagine?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Is that a baby echidna or a sculpture of one?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There was a reply to that tweet from a dude with a furry avatar. I clicked him out of morbid curiosity and against all odds found something positive:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Perestroika posted:

Why hasn't anybody told me about the completely ridiculous sounds that porcupines make? :kimchi:

That's an prehensile tailed porcupine, from central and South America. The North American variety (non prehensile only) makes different ridiculous noises.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Snerk, "dive."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"ok, I'll pet you, please don't kill me"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

From a comment under that second one:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

drrockso20 posted:

Mega Ultra Chicken, he is legend

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inzombiac posted:

Anime artist turns his kid's drawings into art.
http://grapee.jp/en/80682

I love that snake.

The snake is my favorite, but they're all wonderful. :3:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

porkswordonboard posted:

I didn't have a reason to go back after that, but in my heart I really loving hope there is some confused art student in Maine right now who was told to feed the drat crows by the student before them, and so on and so on, so the Morrigans are spoiled forever.

A while back I read about a scientist who was studying some aspect of crow behavior. He'd drive to a park near the university, spread some peanuts about, and observe.

After the study concluded he, coincidentally, sold his car.

Soon after, the buyer contacted him to ask why a mob of crows was following him around town. :3:

There have also been cases of grad students learning the hard way that crows can identify individual humans, and teach grudges to their young. Eventually, all students involved in researching corvids at whatever university this was were issued masks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Feonir posted:

Stumbled into a story about Winston the Crow.

This was in the replies:

Corvids just have so much personality.

Also:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Huzzah! posted:

https://twitter.com/chaeronaea/status/856620237319532547

Whoever made that sign is very rude, he is not ugly.

What the hell is the thing in your avatar? I wanna fiesta with that little crabcat.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Alter Ego posted:

Well, you've killed me. Hope you're happy.

He looks so serious, like this is the culmination of his plan to have kibble scooped directly into his mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet