Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Midnight Voyager posted:

Never for Lil Bub. Bub's medical condition is actually aided by the vibration of airplanes/cars/etc. The vibration helps break up the blastocysts caused by osteo-petrosis. So yay, more Bub for everybody!

On the other hand, Bub's owners also think Reiki helps the cat, so I take what they say on her medical care with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
BaronVonVaderham and I adopted a sphynx kitten today.

Soooo many wrinkles! She feels like a velvet hot water bottle :3:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

Dobby loves her new masters :3:

We were debating naming her after a house elf, what with the wrinkles and the ears. But the only girl house elf we could remember was Winky, and we decided that that "Winky" wasn't a good name choice for something that looks made out of foreskin.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SinineSiil posted:

What is this?! :3:

Its a white sugar glider!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nordick posted:

"Wh... where are you taking me?" :ohdear:

That is the face of a cat that knows exactly where you are taking him.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I know its not even October yet, but I love well-done family Halloween costumes.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

Well yeah, people raise pigeons. Pigeons were one of the first domesticated birds, it's just that people kept letting them loose in the wild so urban areas quickly get a sizable feral population. We've spent at least the last 5000 years breeding and training pigeons to fulfill various purposes, from delivering messages (homing) to being food (squab) to just looking pretty (fancy pigeon breeds).

Be nice to pigeons.

I've worked with pigeons in a behavior lab. They have ridiculously good vision and are fast learners. They may not talk like parrots but there's fun stuff you can teach them, like ping pong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGazyH6fQQ4

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Adimeadozen posted:

Where does one find a furry little house t-rex, anyway?

According to my local shelter, tripod cats move pretty quickly but the one-eyed cats and t-rex cats do not. You can probably get a good deal on one!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

IMJack posted:

Bird feeders attract birds.

I need to get my feeders cleaned and filled back up.

Depends on where you live. All I ever got at my feeder in Florida was crows. In Michigan I'd see a dozen different songbirds a day.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

This is the correct response to birds stealing your mailbox (or whatever that object is)

:3:

Its a cigarette butt disposal, which sounds nasty, but apparently some birds will actively seek cigarette butts for their nests because they drive away many parasitic species like mites.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Saffronica posted:

This is DCI Gordon Lightfoot. DCI stands for 'Detective Constable Inspector'. He(?) is a western hognose snake and he is little baby snake and only six inches long and he is a good snake and oh gosh look at that little almost puppy like inquisitive face d'aaawwww.

That little upturned nose gets me every time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've always wondered what would happen if you crossed a Savannah and a Bengal.

A bigger Bengal.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Or a sphinx. Can you imagine?

I've made that exact Google Image Search and am always disappointed that nothing turns up. Cat skin matches the coat color so it'd be a spotted Sphynx.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Three-Phase posted:

https://youtu.be/IWNP4Nb9WfM

These guys are working thousands of feet below the surface.

:downs: Heeeeey guuuys can I help tooooo? Oh I'm soooooory weeeelll byyyeeee! :downs:

:downs: Hey, this isn't a squid! :downs:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, I looked up some pictures of pythons after posting that. None of them were really suitable for the thread, obviously. Seriously, a whole deer? :magical:

Yeah, people underestimate just how much a snake can stretch out. Of course, snakes are also kinda dumb and have eyes bigger than what even they can handle. Such as the python that tried to swallow a gator that was too big for it and exploded.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

That's no lynx, its a caracal!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

I'm so sorry about Tico, friend :( I didn't mean to make you sad. Hopefully, I can redeem myself with this live rendition of :catstare:

I have no idea ! I'm pretty sure she is a mix. She's obviously part tabby, but she also has a spotted belly:

Sorry it's a bit blurry, she always get a little excited when I get out the camera. But yeah, spotted belly, and a white chin. I really don't know my cat breeds that well either (All Cats Are Beautiful), but from what I've seen of bengals, they're a bit more spotted than she is. But she is a sweetie. I always chalked up her aggressive-towards-plants nature to her just being a shithead teenager, because she has chilled out quite a bit these past few months. I got her loads of toys, and she was pretty satisfied with them after that. But still goes after the palm whenever she can. I've had to put it in a separate room because she just won't leave it alone.

(I don't think she thought much of American Horror Story though)

Tabbies can have spotted bellies without being part Bengal, there's even a variant of mackerel tabby in which the stripes are broken into spots. Bengals with spots (there's marbled varieties) tend to have at least a few rosettes, which tabbies don't have.

To contribute to SpotChat - Phyrexian Obliterator only has the one.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is half-remembered, half-out-my-rear end, but from what I recall it's because their prey can't see the same colour spectrum so to them the snake is nigh-invisible in undergrowth/tree branches/forest floor. It's also true for undersea creatures as well.

Its similar to hunters wearing blaze orange. Deer can't see orange (it just appears as a shade of brown) but other hunters can.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Stroop There It Is posted:

That is also a gorgeous snake. Google says regal ringneck? Where do ones with this coloring live?

My bf gave me this book as a gift, it's full of beautiful and adorable sneks. Highly recommended: http://a.co/0NXGc8a

You might also enjoy the Puget Sound garter snake, which I think is both cute and gorgeous.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nuevo posted:

Holy crap, what kind of tiny dinosaur is this!

It is, not a marine iguana or green iguana, but a rhinoceros iguana!

Apparently they like cereal.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I die.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

It's extremely hard to verify whether a species does a behavior in the wild, especially one as hard to track as Snow Leopards. That said, it's probably juvenile behavior they do in adulthood to destress. They do alright in captivity (we can breed them, at least) but it's not ideal for them since in the wild they have hunting ranges around 80 square miles or possibly more (they don't defend their territory that much from each other).

There's pictures of them doing it in the wild, so I'm guessing they do it there. They might do it more often in captivity, though.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Neurion posted:

Aww, such a snuggly baby :kimchi: Is that a tegu?

I think its a Savannah monitor. They can get up to 5 feet long!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Chard posted:

This is my boss' dog Luka. He's a shelter rescue that she says is Stratfordshire Terrier/Akita (?), all I know is that he is Extremely Concerned about being a good boy, but he neeedn't be (he is good).

I know many women that would gleefully maim to have that eyeliner.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Antivehicular posted:

Now I really want chicken agility training to be a thing.

It is! There are some clicker training experts that do a few Chicken Camps each year where you spend a week training the birds to do fun stuff. I'm hoping to go to one in the next year or two. :3:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Samurai Age is a Japanese company selling these - you can find a few more pictures here.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The rare reverse Siamese cat.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

sneakyfrog posted:

if i woke up to that on my bed in the middle of the night i would assume its gollum looking for the precious and promptly meltdown for a few.

Every day at 7am she sits on the bedstand and leeeeeeaaaaaans over and coos and licks my face until I wake up. I have to admit the first time it happened it startled me half to death.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Imagine if that went wrong and he was forever branded as a reject :stonk:

Missed opportunity for her to make a third box for Maybe at the bottom, if you ask me.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My mom called today to tell me she had to put my childhood cat down this morning. He was 17 - I had him more than half my life and I miss him. If you have pictures of well-loved tabby cats (especially grizzled old toms) that'd be wonderful.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cumslut1895 posted:

clever to get it to hold it's tail, otherwise it would ruin the measurement

They do this with whales and dolphins, too. They will swim right onto the scale and lift up their tail.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

davidspackage posted:

I don't want to be a downer but I'm kinda worried that dog doesn't get taken out enough if he's doing circles like such a maniac. :(

Yeah, that's just high-speed pacing/stereotypy. :( Dog needs some stimulation!

Get that dog to rally or something. Even if you aren't good at it, you can still have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4N7G29GWQI

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Haha, my bf also wants to name our Sphynx after a Magic card.

Thinking of calling him Squigs for short.

Make sure you get him plenty of toys.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

I got sad when i found out they only live two years.

But then from their perspective it must be the best longest rear end time ever.

I think that's just in the wild - in domestic conditions it can be up to 4-6 years!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Megabound posted:

This is like 2% of Bengal ownership. Mostly it's waking up to find your everything that was on your desk has been moved to the floor and seeing your cat sitting proud on your 3D printer, gazing over his works.

I have a little $5 stuffed How to Train Your Dragon toy on my desk specifically for my Bengal, its a distraction from stealing the other poo poo off my desk. She'll sit on my desk and scream at it, then grab it by the throat and drag it around the house, still screaming. God only knows what it sounds like to the neighbors.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

quote:

“[You can be] sitting there drinking your cup of coffee and turning your head for a second, and then taking a swig and realizing, ‘Yeah, Boris came up here and peed in my coffee cup,’” said Amy Bassett, the Canid Conservation Center’s founder. “You can easily train and manage behavioral problems in dogs, but there are a lot of behaviors in foxes, regardless of if they’re Russian or U.S., <i>that you will never be able to manage</i>.”

Oh, challenge accepted.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Like a little inchworm! :3:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Baron and I bought the Obliterator a new bed with more fur than she has. She won't come out of it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SubponticatePoster posted:

Somebody needs to get on domesticating these posthaste.

Apparently they have a really friendly temperament and could conceivably cross with domestic cats, similar to how you can with Asian Leopard Cats.

Unfortunately there's only about 10,000 left in the world so we aren't likely to have pet rusty cats. :(

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

They are cute, I'm sure we could find someone to fund bringing them back to where we could keep them as housepets. Then, when there's enough, then we crossbreed them with regular cats. We might even get a cat version of a corgi!

We have those already! Behold, the munchkin!

Not cute enough? There are munchkin/sphynx crosses, called bambinos:

Still not cute enough? When two bambinos love each other very much, you get bambino kittens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNuXOu-kwUo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot