Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

I purposely posted a video because gifs are huge. :v: and it is inline on a desktop.

Yeah, posting a gif inline instead of a video is a bit of a dick act when they're big; that gif is 23 megs and the gifv is 7kb and not dithered. Eats mobile cap and a pageful of really big gifs will slow a browser to a crawl.

The iOS app needs to update.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have an idea for a phone game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a pair of muderbirds peregrine falcons that lives on the roof of our building at work, they have CCTV on them

their chicks hatched today :3:

Mumbird spent a while standing there acting as a parasol:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Night10194 posted:

This is an extremely good birb.

She's been at it for a few hours this morning again too, poor girl. She looks grumpy about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's weirdly hilarious to watch people who have no idea how cats work try to interact with them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shift change!

https://i.imgur.com/0LwtlkW.mp4

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It should be noted those are breeders, not hoarders.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if anyone ever let an otter and a platypus hang out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Falconbaby status: muppet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love how intelligent and amazingly quick-thinking cockatoos are. "Well gently caress that."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't worry, it's coming out for PC on [TBD]!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Are cats' tails not as sensitive as dogs? Most of the dogs I've known would jump or at least care if you tugged on their tail. Doesn't seem to be as much the case for cats.

Oh, most cats would leap and probably give you a warning swipe for it. That cat is incredibly passive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DicktheCat posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought cats were like incapable of seeing animals that much smaller than themselves as anything but prey or toys. What the hell is going on here?

You can put basically anything small and fuzzy in front of a cat that's feeling maternal and she'll adopt it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

The problem was that Mason was initially hostile to humans, and they weren't sure how to give him a decent quality of life indoors, until he had a run-in with one of the other cats in his foster home... and it turned out Mason absolutely loved other cats, especially kittens. He ended up spending most of his time with foster kittens (hence Grandpa), getting the kittens plenty of socialization and helping him warm up to indoor life. Mason was only expected to live a few months, but he ended up surviving for almost three years and helping a lot of orphaned kittens be ready for homes.

He initially avoided the other adult cats a lot; they thought he was solitary until they brought in kittens and then all of a sudden he was relaxing and cuddling and sleeping with them.

Later on they figured out that he had a really strong desire to be social with other cats, but he was wary as a result of his time as a feral. With kittens he was comfortable and happy so he'd gravitate to them and look after them. He started being more casual with adults after he'd gotten used to them for a while eventually, and he did this hilarious thing where he'd go up and headbutt and rub on them while they were distracted eating, since it seemed like he felt more safe doing it with their attention divided.

Basically he yearned for cat cuddles but never got to have them until he came indoors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I didn't know about the headbutting thing. Excuse me while I go lay face down outside for a while.

bump bump bump

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah if I remember correctly Wombats are basically all but invincible to 99% of the other species still around in Australia, hence why they are so laid back for the most part

Although to be fair, people often forget that Australia doesn't actually have any native large land predators. That's why the introduction of the dingo, and later the cat and fox, had such an impact.

The biggest on the mainland was the devil (limited to a very small range in the south), and they're about half the size of a wombat and prefer carrion if they can get it. After that you've got things like quolls, about half the size of a cat. It's why I always laugh at the whole 'Australia is dangerous' meme. You guys have wolves! And cougars! And bears!

That said wombats are still ridiculous little tanks of solid muscle. If they're being chased they'll sometimes just stop and let whoever's chasing them run into them and knock themselves over. Or if they can (less cute) they'll dive down a hole and when the dingo sticks their head in, they flex their butt upwards and crush the dingo head with the power of rear end.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Sep 26, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, because wombats never stop growing, we know who the largest ever wombat was: the oldest ever wombat! Patrick, who lived to the age of 32 and had his own wheelbarrow.

*ancient megawombats notwithstanding

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Sep 26, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True. :smith:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DrSnakeLaser posted:

That spoiler fact is amazing. Wombats have an insanely thick rear end-hide right? So can they even enjoy butt scratches?

I dunno. Back scritches seem to be A-OK

https://i.imgur.com/vzwY6Hd.mp4

They certainly can get itchybutt

https://twitter.com/bindiirwin/status/1094707021884973056

I think the preponderance of evidence is that they would enjoy a good butt scritch, but don't be gentle about it.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Sep 28, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pookah posted:

Is this kitty just really sleepy or what? He/she doesn't very well to me, but I do not have much experience with kitties :(

She reads a bit odd because he's heavily folded, so her ears aren't the usual perky cat ears and she looks kinda like she's wilting. That's just her breed, though. Rest of her expression is just "I'm tired". the fold breed is not good and the whole breed is not well but that's a different topic

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Oct 4, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

In my experience, seals and sea lions are generally always up to say "Hi!" to a diver in a 'If you're underwater you must be cool' kind of way.

And there's the famous story of the Leopard Seal in antarcica who swam up to a photographer and in a terrifying way went 'HELLO! WHAT ARE YOU?'

And proceeded to spend the next four days trying to feed him and then teach him how to hunt, apparently desperately concerned that this weird helpless seal didn't know how to survive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nerdz posted:

A dead penguin as a gift, you shouldn't have

...yeah, pretty much. She even got to the point of trying to shove them into his mouth, or showing him how to chew on them before giving them to him. And it then proceeded to live ones, then when he wasn't hunting them down, injured penguins that couldn't swim as she tried to teach this lame failure of a seal to hunt for himself.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Oct 5, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

We're experiencing a goose renaissance, and all thanks to some Australian programmers who aren't familiar with them anyway.

We have geese!

Well, kinda geese.

Same order, anyway.

Look, they have 'goose' in the name.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Charlie is going to save lives one day.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zoos Victoria wants us to turn off lights for the possums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEsw3NesNas

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Oct 15, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/WboolPenguins/status/1184326357871759363

For those not familiar, about ten years ago the penguin population of Middle Island was crashing down towards nothing due to fox predation, and local farmers who used Maremma dogs to guard their chickens suggested there was no reason they couldn't train dogs to guard penguins; a bird is a bird, after all. The trial worked out well and they went ahead with training up two dogs full time who spend the breeding season in shifts out on the island, leading to dramatic resurgence in numbers. The project's been extended to also have dogs guarding two gannet colonies and a bandicoot population.

They're training replacements for penguin guarding duty who'll take up the reigns next breeding season: this is one of them:

https://twitter.com/WboolPenguins/status/1165249994837749761

Tula's a bit old to keep climbing up and down the big ridges and cliffs of the island, so she'll be retiring to a farm that supports the project. The dogs feel lost if they don't have something to look after, so she'll be helping watch over the chickens, easy duty for an old lady.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Oct 16, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I haven't found any pictures of them actually up close with the penguins because it sounds like the penguins can get spooked by the dogs. Guardian dogs are really sensitive to stuff like that so I'm sure once they realized their tiny friends needed space they just took up patrols on the outside of the flock.

The penguins spend most of their time in the burrows or hutches when they're on land, too. And yeah, the dogs were trained to keep their distance, there's a little boardwalk on the island and they spend most of their time sitting up on that.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Oct 16, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I feel like that needs to have more water in it. It's not really doing the whole "buoyancy" thing if all you do is get kittys feet wet

They were getting her used to it; there's another video with deeper water.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it cat racist to say I feel like a regular moggy would've had it sussed and sorted in about half a second?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm so proud of him!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it's becoming SOP at a lot of Zoos to bond cheetahs to emotional support dogs now. Cheetahs are naturally very nervous animals, but they'll relax if they see a packmate is comfortable with the situation, and dogs are generally relaxed and are at ease with humans, so the cheetah is reassured.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

instagram

The dog is apparently a believer in passing the favour along, since a few years ago he dragged his owner to this lying abandoned:

They are besties. :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/9nUxmv0.mp4

His name is dodger :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Azhais posted:

It always amazes me how well behaved his cats are. Mine would be on fire in that last step after leaping to see what's going on for the 30th time

Well he also owns poki so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=393jPL8fkxc

Poki isn't in most of the cooking videos for... obvious reasons.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Dec 3, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Poki's had a rough life and I'm just happy he's somewhere warm and safe and loving. :3:

Yeah, he was in really bad shape when they found him. It's heartwarming to see him go from that to happy and healthy, even though it seems like he has a permanent degree of food anxiety.

He's definitely got that ex-stray survivor cat cunning.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Dec 4, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nordick posted:

oh my god :allears:

I lost it at the furiously meowing trash bin

Also I'm reminded of this

http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=3023

TL;DR:
"You might say I’ve won this battle. However I just spent 20 hours armor-plating a cat feeder. I think we know who’s really in control here, don’t we?"

Hah: by coincidence, their most recent video is trying to poki-proof a feeder for their other cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqtmf5r-PN8

I'm sure by now he's figured out a way around The Box.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's it being intimidating. It thinks it's producing a mighty roar to terrify us all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And, of course, ants pass the mirror test.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Random video I just came across, but a guy rearranges his living room and his toucan is like WHAT THE gently caress and is very nervous about the whole idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOb0HDGUyEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As an Aussie it still weirds me out that Sugar Gliders are apparently a relatively widespread pet in the US.