Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

HighwireAct posted:

am I allowed to quote Munchables' full post in the animal hybrids thread here

Piso Mojado posted:

is it funny?

edit: it's awesome.

Munchables posted:

(had to improvise)

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
From the BYOB Fall 2016 sigs thread (which belongs here, too)

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

misty mountaintop posted:

Oscar sat down on the stoop, looked out blankly at The Street, lit the joint, inhaled. A little after noon on a Thursday, out in public with a J in his hand, he might have been wary, but he wasn’t. He had grown up on The Street, knew its rhythms, the systole/diastole of its people, its traffic. 5-0 never rolled down The Street.

Three blocks north, now that was the ghetto. The ghetto ghetto. The cops couldn’t get in there fast enough. Couldn’t get out of there fast enough either – come in hard on the heels of another burglary, another mugging, another murder, and then before they’d even got the chalk all the way around the body, a new call would come in and they’d scatter to their cars and zoom away.

But that was three blocks north, not The Street. The Street wasn’t exciting enough for cops.

Oscar took another hit. Beneath his legs, behind him, he could almost feel the brownstone breathe. Inhale: hot summer air, garbage stink, gasoline. Exhale: a floating conversation, a sharp laugh, sweet grease, baseball play-by-play. Félix Millán rounds first on his way to second. The throw comes in and…he’s safe! The cheers of the crowd. Inhale: weed tang at the back of his throat. Exhale: smoke into the clear blue sky, a lazy, unsuccessful attempt at rings.

Grover was late. Cookie, too, but you expected Cookie to be late. Grover, though, that cat was punctual. Except today.

Oscar considered heading to Hooper’s bodega for a Yoo-Hoo but decided against it. Better to just wait and watch.

Under the heavy August haze, inside the bright green fuzz of his high, The Street seemed to move syrup-slow, like a snake coiling itself for sleep. On the other side of The Street, kids had opened a fire hydrant. They danced in the spray. Scraps of water flashed off of them at all angles: shapes like spun glass, rough diamonds. Oscar had woken up in a bad mood, but now the sunny day was chasing his clouds away. He hummed a little, a thing he liked to do when he was in a good place, improvising the lyrics as he went:

Oh these are the people in your neighborhood
In your neighborhood,
In your neighborhood,
Oh these are the people in your neighborhood
The people that you meet each day.

“What up Oscar?” It was Cookie. He flopped his rail-thin body on the stoop next to Oscar and gave him a familiar fist bump. “Sorry me late. Mom said me had to watch Telly till she get back.”

Nobody knew Cookie’s real name. Scratch that. They knew his real name: it was Cookie. So far as the inhabitants of The Street were concerned, he’d been Cookie since day one. Nobody knew where that weird-shaped head of his came from either. Prairie Dawn said it looked sort of Chinese and Cookie probably had some Chinese blood back up in his mother’s side. For a whole year in Middle School she’d called him Fortune Cookie until one day he snapped and tried to fight her. Oscar had to hold him back. That afternoon, Grover went to have a talk with her. Oscar didn’t know what Grover said, but she was nice to Cookie after that.

Oscar himself suspected that the head thing had something to do with Cookie’s brain. Cookie had a lot of half-baked ideas up in there. Sometimes the ideas were trouble, sometimes just funny as hell. Cookie was none too bright, but he was a good friend. He’d always had Oscar’s back.

Oscar held the last third of the joint out to Cookie and nodded like, go ahead brother, take a hit.

“Nah, man. You know that poo poo give me the munchies and me have nothing to eat.”

Oscar let it linger in front of Cookie and waved it back and forth like a hypnotist’s watch. He wiggled his eyebrows conspiratorially. He had thick, expressive brows.

“Alright.” Cookie took the joint and sucked in a huge hit that burnt it down to the roach.

“drat, Cook. Take it easy.”

Holding the smoke in, Cookie said, “That how me am. When me got it, me get it till it gone.” He blew the smoke out slowly through pursed lips, emphasizing how big the hit had been. “Where Grover?”

Oscar shrugged and leaned back against the steps. That was the question. That was always the question. They tried to play, him and Cookie, like they were something without him, like if Grover didn’t come, they’d find something to do, find a way to make the day worthwhile. It just wasn’t true. Without Grover they were just two idiots sitting on the stoop, blazing their youth away until…until what? Oscar had no loving clue.

Grover was the best of them. He was smarter than Oscar, more loyal even than Cookie. For Oscar, The Street was a place to look across, to observe, to live in, but for Grover, it was first stop on a way out. Everybody knew that. Oscar couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t gone already. Any opportunity out there, Grover could take it.

He’d heard The Count was looking for a couple of guys to run some corners. Grover could do that in a heartbeat, work his way up. poo poo, Oscar was thinking about it himself and Oscar was only just clever enough to know he was a dumb motherfucker. That was the problem. There was a saying on The Street: “You gently caress up the count, The Count gonna gently caress you up.” Oscar knew he wouldn’t be able to keep it all straight. He dreamed too much. Got too fuzzy. But Grover knew how to stay sharp.

Oscar’s thoughts were interrupted by someone saying “Excuse me.” Oscar looked up and saw Earnest standing in front of them, waiting for Cookie and him to move out of the way so he could go up the steps and into his apartment.

Earnest was one of the only white guys on The Street. A recent, weird addition. Why the young seminarian had thought The Street would be the place for him, Oscar couldn’t understand. He didn’t talk to most people. Looked ridiculous in his clerical shirt and collar. Mostly, he just seemed to be waiting for someone to say something to him. He had a way of looking at people like he knew something was up. It made Oscar want to punch him.

A lot of things he did made Oscar want to punch him. When he’d first met Earnest, Oscar had thought he would be murdered within a week. Everything he did seemed calculated to give offense. But after observing him, Oscar started to realize that the dude was just seriously inattentive. It was like he had been holding his breath since he was born and most of his energy was being spent just stopping himself from taking that first breath.
This “excuse me” junk was typical. Oscar and Cookie were only taking up half the stoop. Earnest could have just walked around them. The two friends looked at each other meaningfully and scooted the absolute bare minimum to allow Earnest to pass between them.

“Thank you,” the seminarian said, a little too happily, as he went up into the building.

“That guy a human being.” Cookie said when the front door closed.

“He’s all right. He’s a pain in the rear end but I don’t think he can help himself. Don’t give him trouble, ok?” Oscar wished they had some more weed. And he really wished Grover would finally hurry up and get here.
“No, Me mean he a real human being. For real.” Cookie slapped the stoop. “He a fag human being.”

“Man, Cook, how do you know?”

Cookie shrugged. “Me just know.”

“Well what, did you suck his dick, huh? Is that how you know? I bet you did.”

Cookie got up and pushed Oscar, not too hard, but hard enough. “What you trying to say.”

“Nothing. Don’t worry about it. I was just loving ar-.”

Oscar couldn’t exactly remember the last time he’d actually seen police on The Street, but all of a sudden, they were there, fast and loud. Three cars blaring. Some of the hydrant kids just barely had a chance to get out of the way. They came screaming down The Street and were gone, leaving behind only the sound of the sirens, growing a bit more distant now but filling the space from all sides like a cloud that wouldn’t lift.

“What do you think that’s about?” Oscar asked.

“Me not know,” Cookie said, “Some poor motherfucker is gonna get it, though. Someone is going to have some big problems.”

“Yeah. At least it’s not us.”

What Oscar didn’t know yet, but was just about to find out, was that it was them. The sirens were beckoning, calling them out of their safety, drawing them on past their daydreams, out into the world and into adulthood, heartbreak, loss, the disappearance and return of everything they’d ever known.

Away from The Street, back to The Street, always The Street.

Three blocks north, Grover lay handcuffed and unconscious in the back of a police van.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

HighwireAct posted:

*years later, at a job working for a major corporation*
boss: “i wanted to talk to you about that project i assigned you last week”
me: “what about it?”
boss: “i asked for a meme.” *holding up tablet* “this is a gif.”
me:
boss: “don't you know the difference?”
me: *wiping clammy hands on pants* “i, uh”

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
From HERE

joke_explainer posted:

Ria McLennan knocked the hidden compartment lose and cool air crisp against her respirator mask. She dropped down into the deck of the B-29 superfortress as it hurtled through the skies. According to the timer glowing softly on her retinal display, it had been 5 hours, 31 minutes, and 22 seconds. If the historical record was accurate, Morris R. Jeppson had just returned to the cabin after disarming the final safeties on the weapon. No one else would be checking on it until the drop. Stopping this genocide would be as simple as re-engaging the safeties, and then Nagasaki will never happen -- and the war will end without the deaths of hundreds of thousands. Her hand grew seams, and gently unfolded as she auged into her toolkit, approaching the primitive atomic weapon. She could feel the psychological weight of the weapon, a pure embodiment of the unbridled destructive potential of man. Though primitive compared to the nuclear weapons they'd design in coming decades, this was one of only two in the Surveilled timeline that was used against civilian targets. The Great Wars Injunction meant even being here was a capital crime, but if all went well there was nothing they could do to restore it, short of bombing Hiroshima itself, and she knew they'd never do it.

She got to work on the bomb. Primitive tumbler-key mechanism as the primary arming switch. It was all too easy, but she heard a noise behind her, and dove into a roll, popping up to her feet down the bomb bay corridor just as a heavy pipe swung toward where her head previously was. How could they have found her at this spacetime so quickly? She took in her opponent. A man, twenty five to thirty, pasty white skin, patchy wisp of a beard and slighty chubby. His gear looked very retro: Some gimmicky thin glasses with projected displays, what looked like an ancient laptop computer strapped to his waist with cords hanging off it and going to headphones hanging on his neck. His eyes looked wild as he stared her down. He didn't look like your average marshal, but they all have their quirks.

The man glared at her. "You don't know what you're doing. You don't understand the consequence of your actions here. I have to stop you."

Ria glared and dropped into a combat stance, her fingertips extending nanofilament-sharp blades. "Hundreds of thousands have to die just so the precious War Timeline stays intact? I've done the math, Marshal, and I'm sure you have too. The war ends anyway!"

The man shook his head. "I'm not a marshal. I'm from 2016. There's more at stake than just lives." He clumsily lunged forward, swinging the pipe -- where'd he even get that? She dodged and kicked, knocking him to the ground. "I'm done playing these games. This bomb is going offline and there's nothing you or anyone time-cleared can do to stop me." 2016? They didn't have the technology for time travel. What was going on here?

The man struggled to sit up, gasping for air thanks to his bruised solar plexus. "Stop! If you sabotage that bomb..." His lips thinned, his eyes pleading as he slowly got to his feet. "Pokémon will never exist. 801 unique creatures, over 7 generations. Millions of unique companions and travelling partners throughout history. Please."

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Baller Ina posted:

Is this the real slice
or is this just ham 'n cheese
caught in a spam tide, no escape from the pork n beans

Open your eyes
Look up to the sties and squeeeeeeeeeeeeee(al)

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

i'm just a pork boy,
i need no turkey

because i'm black forest ham, toasted roll
little lettuce, no mayo

any way the grill goes, doesn't really matter
to me
pa ni ni

Baller Ina posted:

Mama, just grilled a lamb
Put some charcoal 'neath its stead,
Cut it tender, now I'm fed

Mama, that meal sure was fun
But now I've got to throw the rest away

MAMA, OOH OOH
Didn't mean to make it dry
If I'm not back again to cook tomorrow
Carryout, carryout
As if no meat ever plattered

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Too late, the timer's done
Sent lardo down my spine,
Porkbutt roastin all the time
Good buys, everybody--it's a meat sale
Gotta leave you all behind and stand in line

MAMAAAAAA, OOOOOOOOH
(Don't throw away the pig bones)
I DON'T WANNA FRY
I SOMETIMES WISH I'D NEVER BOUGHT CHOPS AT ALL

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

I see a little silhouette-o of a pig
Pork-n-beans, pork-n-beans
Can you make a menudo???
Boston butts and tripe-ing,
Very very frightening meat!

Baller Ina posted:

Pigs smell bad! No, we will fry in tallow! (It's too slow!)
Will fry in tallow! (It's too slow!)
Crispy golden glow
Let it simmer low
No, no, no, no, no, no, no

Baller Ina posted:

Oh mama meat-a, mama meat-a (mama meat-a eat pork sho(ulder))
Big Bob's Dry Rub has a deviled ham en route to me, to me, to me

So you think you can grill meat and I won't think you lie? (Yeah!)
So you think chewy bacon is better than fried?
Oh, gravy, its white sausage gravy
Just gotta cookout, just gotta get grilling this year

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

cda posted:

Stuff like this is why this thread exists, I think.

Absolutely

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Thingyman posted:

i came, i saw, i turned it into a sick sweater vest

Thingyman posted:

veni, vidi, vesti

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Workplace motivational posters but they are quotes of DCT posts from the goldmine

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Cubone posted:

Miss Suzie had a steamboat,
The steamboat had a bell,
Miss Suzie's life was empty,
A steamboat wouldn't

Cubone posted:

Help me operator,
The suicide hotline,
If you do not connect me,
I'll down pills with bottled

Cubone posted:

Winding down the day,
Old sitcoms on repeat,
Tomorrow won't be better,
This life has got me

Cubone posted:

Beating off to telemarketers,
How did it come to this?
Passed out in the bathroom,
In a pool of my own

Cubone posted:

Pistol in my mouth,
I'm doing it this time,
Don't you try to stop me,
It's better I just

Cubone posted:

Dicing up tomatoes,
Spaghetti by the ton,
Bag and freeze the leftovers,
Another meal for

Cubone posted:

One day something's coming,
To put it to an end,
When the reaper comes to beckon me,
I'll greet him as a

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Jolo posted:

Jokes on you, spiders got eight lives

Jolo posted:

And two aces up each sleeve, do not try to bluff em

Jolo posted:

Also they play uno by the book rules, no drawing cards til you have one that'll play, you draw 2 and then it's the next person's turn.

Jolo posted:

If you play Monopoly with a spider, they won't let you put money under free parking. That space is just a free space to park it's not a lottery space.

Jolo posted:

If you play Go Fish with a spider they'll snicker any time they draw an 8. Use this to your advantage.

Jolo posted:

How do I know all of this? *raises 8 hands showing eight forms of ID showing that I'm a spider on each*

*16 aces fall to the floor at my feet*

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

What's the deal with good posting?

:jerry:

King of Bees posted:

I'm nominating you for these categories:
Best New Poster (2018)
Best Overall SA Poster (ever)
Best Use of Seinfeld Joke (December)
Sexiest Poster (ever)

I think you got a good shot!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Abugadu posted:

aw man I missed spider chat.

Well you get a spider story anyway - so most of our spiders here in the western pacific ocean are cute or interesting, and not really intrusive into your everyday life. Once in a great while, though, like once every two years, you'll find a huntsman in your house. Don't google it if you don't want to, I'll describe - It's not venomous, it's not aggressive, but it's massive, like a spindly, uglier tarantula. And quick. One of the fastest spiders you'll ever see. Neither my wife nor I knew of these wonders before we moved here, and our first few encounters with them were unpleasant and surprising.

One morning, I awoke in our rather large bedroom in the house we were renting, and noticed a blur in the far upper corner of the room. This was before I got lasers in my eyes, so as I'm reaching for my glasses, I'm thinking 'I hope that is the world's largest gecko'. But no. It was a huntsman, just staring at us as we slept. Our bed was centered, like 6 o'clock if we're using directional descriptions. Spider is at 10. Large pile of laundry that I had yet to put away is at 12, opposite the bed and against the wall containing the huntsman. Door is at 2.

I'm trying to calculate how to get to this thing to kill it, because the ceilings are tall - close to 12 feet, and spidey's near the top. I'm not as arachnophobic as I used to be, but the big ones are not my friends. As I'm planning my killshot, my wife wakes up, and wants to try to catch and release. She goes and gets a magazine and a piece of tupperware that is 4" x 2", which does not cover the circumference of the spider legs at all. I try to tell her that she's not allowed to try, as her attempt will spook the spider, causing it to run away and possibly get in the laundry, which will force me to burn the pile of clothes to be safe. She ignores me and gets a ladder that isn't quite tall enough to accomplish the task - I climb up on the bed with a can of Lysol and watch sullenly, as she starts to poke at it with the corner of the magazine.

It bolts. Directly sidewise, towards 12 o'clock. I let out an ear-piercing non-manly shriek, my wife busts out laughing uncontrollably. The spider stops directly over the pile of laundry, stares at me eyes to eye, and if it could have given me the finger it would have, and drops into the pile of clothes. Continuing my shriek non-stop, I hop down and unload the entire can of Lysol onto the spider before he can burrow in. Now maybe this would have had a more dramatic effect on a smaller spider, but the huntsman just seems mildly annoyed. But it does slow it down enough, and my wife is able to plop the tupperware over it, still laughing so hard she's tearing. She goes to let it outside, and I ask her where she's releasing it. She points to our garden, and I refuse and direct her across the street to the apartment complex over there.

The smell of Lysol brings back unpleasant memories now.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

WindmillSlayer posted:

WHY DOES THIS NEVER END

Astrophysicists predict that the fate of the universe is entropy or "heat death", a state in which all of the energy of the universe dissipates; no new energy is available to add to the existing energy so eventually all of the stars and galaxies, all the nebula and cosmic dust cool down and the electrons and protons and neutrons cease their movements and stop.

When the atoms that determine the bits of data that hold the information of the Somethingawful servers reach this state, and their subatomic particles can no longer discern the difference between a zero and a one then, and only then will it stop.

Or if Lowtax fucks up and forgets to pay the electric bill...

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Jolo posted:

AMAZING. As far as I'm concerned Splatmaster has won the Game of Thrones with this post. I declare him King of the Seven Realms of Byob.

:)

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Twenty Four posted:

I was gonna post this here too, its really good

Splatmaster has done it again!

:tipshat: Thank you!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

alnilam posted:

Thread title: should i read dune

lol!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

To be fair this wasnt mine

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
The music made me do it!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Manifisto posted:

do not sweat it, it's good that you wanted to participate & share and what you posted was pretty cool into the bargain. I'd rather people participated and made the occasional oopsie than feeling too intimidated to post anything. :justpost:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Macnult posted:

short stories of how things were invented:

:lol::hmbol::lol:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
:blush:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

lmao wrong thread, friend

It's exactly where it needs to be :)

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

vanisher posted:

need to brand it and monkey it a little I think

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Heather Papps posted:

a group of teenagers in a van, smoke billowing from the cracked window.
"drat, you are slick"
kevin thinks to himself. "none of them could tell this was my first time smoking weed. this is cool as-"

his line of thought is interrupted as he is passed a small bottle.

"kev you need this bro"

kevin panics. the seconds it takes to accept the bottle feels like an eternity.

"what the gently caress... what is this? well, can't look like a loser now!"

kevin sighs, takes a deep breath, and asks "how much?"
"a few drops dude? for real?"

kevin opens his mouth, and squirts the visine directly down his esophagus.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Barking Gecko posted:

O treasured orbs, within this pastel glow
Those who revere the child of grain, or grape
The works of yeast which do sustain the soul
Becom'st the cause of such a merry jape
Additionally, you whom woulds't prefer
The soothing from an incandescent bowl
A pleasant toke from comforting reefer
Now unto you, I do entreat; Let's Go! :trashed:

:haibrower:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

It isn't every day someone actually goes out and wins the internet, but here we are...

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

google THIS posted:

*bursts through the saloon door*

"There's a new IK in town! Any of y'all wanna spend 6 hours in the county jail, you just come and talk to me. Is that clear?"

*the entire saloon stampedes into the street and toward the jail*

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

quote:

Every post by every BYOB poster who posted sincerely, with a positive vibe that made the universe a better place

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
BYOB on New Year's Eve', 2022/2013

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

B33rChiller posted:

East coast early risin' sumthin sumthins. Guess I'm havin hand soup for breakfast.

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
This whole thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045025