Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was hired for a position where I was supposed to look at the answers people gave on surveys and figure out categories to group them by (so people who said a product was "good quality", "well made", "high quality" etc. would all get counted together). I had basically no relevant experience, but they were OK with that because I'd be given all the training I needed.

When I showed up for my first day, the head of the department showed me to my desk and told me that IT hadn't got a computer for me yet but that was OK because I could start learning on hard copy. Also she didn't have time to introduce me around just now, but she would definitely do that later so I'd know who my coworkers were and what everyone did. She then gave me some printouts of survey answers and a bunch of highlighters and told me to give it a go and she'd go over it with me when I was done.

So I did that and then I went to see her and she said she was too busy to go over it right now so I should just sit and read a book for a while or something. Eventually she came back and looked at what I'd done, and she brought over her "correct" groupings to compare. She pointed out some differences and I explained my thinking and asked where I'd gone wrong. She sort of waved the question off and told me I'd get the hang of it. Then she gave me another set of answers to practice on.

The next day I had a computer and switched to working in Excel, but still mostly doing this "training", except that now when I finished and the boss was too busy I'd be told to do some other task that needed doing, like gluing print-outs into the first page of a bunch of exercise books, or going through spreadsheets of responses correcting things like spelling and punctuation. One time I was asked to convert a bunch of responses to upper-case by retyping them all. I pointed out that Excel had a way to do that automatically, and to her credit she actually agreed that that was a much better idea and insisted I write down the procedure so others could do it the same way.

But that was the extent of the training and I was put onto doing the real survey responses (which the boss still checked over herself after I was done but never gave any real feedback on), but there really wasn't much of it to do (and most of the people around me didn't seem to be doing a lot either, but since I was never actually told what their jobs were it's hard to say) and on several occasions the boss told me to browse the internet and look busy so that no one would think the department was overstaffed. After the end of the two-month probationary period I was told that I was still making a lot of mistakes and there wasn't as much work for me as they'd expected anyway, so they decided not to keep me on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread