Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

grittyreboot posted:

We've all worked for that boss at least once. The boss who made you come in on your off day. The boss who made you clean up vomit. This thread isn't about that boss. This thread is about the bosses that have gone above and beyond in the line of assholishness. The bosses that make you question the innate goodness of every human being. The bosses that make you terrified of how much damage one person can do with such a negligible amount of power. The bosses that, years later, still make you want to burn your old workplace to the ground.

Round about 2008/9 I had a boss who stole from orphans. Literally.

My first job out of university was as a junior developer for a mobile company. This was just as iPhones were entering the market so everything was still Java ME and "mobi-sites". Shortly after I got hired there, I learned that the company had done a whole big goodwill PR exercise by raising money for an orphanage, which received a lot of coverage by local media and was by and large successful. The bit that didn't get covered was that the boss had wangled some kind of legal loophole where the money would not be handed over until the charity in question jumped through a bunch of hoops. Needless to say it was constructed in such a way that the charity could not complete the requirements so my boss kept all the money for himself.

Somebody who had just left the company at this time put up a tell all blog revealing what a monster this guy was. Naturally he sued them, won and the blog was scraped from the face of the internet.

Similarly the company was doing massive staff turnover. Something like 100 different people walked in and out of the doors in the 11 months that I was there. This was a small business and there were below 20 people total employed at any one time. Said boss was prone to reducing people to tears with sheer verbal beatings and would dismiss somebody if they dared to even sniff at the wrong time. I ended up senior developer of the company purely by default as the team around me either resigned or were fired.
Naturally he saw this as a problem and hired consultants to analyse the company and work out why people were leaving in droves. The consultants analysed all the information, crunched the numbers and concluded that the boss was the problem.

He fired the consultants. :downs:

Late in the year my cat that I'd had since I was 7 was killed by a car and I applied for leave. When I gave my reasons he laughed. I resigned the following day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
E: Whoops wrong thread.

Radio Paranoia has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Mar 23, 2016

• Locked thread