Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I waste a lot of food because I'm single and cannot buy a lot of things in portions that won't go bad.

The small containers of milk aren't enough and if I bought them I'd constantly run out. But a gallon is too big for just me and some will always go bad. There is no way I'm going to finish a whole loaf of bread myself before it molds so some slices always get thrown out. Any fruit that is not bought individually or is very large means I either have to gorge myself on fruit for the next day or two or throw some away. Buying a roast chicken means I better have chicken for dinner the next four days or throw some out.

Sorry I don't want to waste food but when you are just buying food for one it's a choice between buying constantly buying small portions (so a lot of hassle and greater expense) or just buying the normal portions and wasting some. Guess which method wins out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mirthless posted:

If you could buy a half loaf of bread people would buy half loaves of bread. The high end bread brands all sel half-loaves and seem to do just fine, but they're the only companies that do that. You can't just go to the dollar store and pay a 1.00 for half as many slices as the 1.80 white bread loaf. Instead it's $3.25 for the half of the $4 loaf of rye

Yeah this is the real bullshit and probably a big part of my food waste. Either stuff isn't available in a proper portion, or it suffers from clown pricing that charges 80% or more of the cost for 50% or less of the product.

I would buy half loaves of bread. But I don't eat the artisanal whatever brands that provide such sizing. My local store just has their own loaves by the deli that they either bake themselves or get from some local bakery that are $2.50 for a loaf which is good for me but they only come in standard loaf size.

Other issues are harder to solve. Sometimes I want a pineapple but I'm just one guy so I'm probably not gonna eat the whole pineapple myself before it gets weird. Don't know what can be done about that. Pre-sliced portions of fruit always charge an absurd premium to the point that I will pay less to buy and slice the whole pineapple myself and throw half of it away than I will buying some smaller portion of ready to eat fruit.

• Locked thread