Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
For me not throwing food away is a moral thing. There's a saying in these parts of the world (Eastern Europe) that translates to "throwing away is sin". 'Sin' not being a religious term in this case, it's closer to 'shame'. If I'm full and there's still food on my plate I'll either force myself to finish it or I'll store it. I hate seeing people throw half the plate to garbage because they decided they weren't that hungry or they didn't like it too much. To me that's frivolous. Wasting food while there are hungry people, killing animals and plants just to throw them away...

I'm aware that it's an irrational stance to have and that in the current system not wasting food won't directly help the hungry.

Maera Sior posted:

Our level of agriculture is damaging to the environment. There are other reasons to think about how much we produce vs. what we consume.

And we are not staying at this level - it's getting worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I feel bad about throwing "good" food away, but I think we need to make a distinction between waste that's easy to deal with (essentially leftovers) and waste that would require a lot of ingenuity to deal with. Throwing out a half portion of cooked food that you could eat the next day is different from putting half an onion that's been in your fridge for a week into the compost, simply because you didn't have anything that called for half an onion. You could save all the odds and sods and make a stock or something, but realistically that's only slightly better than just composting those things. Sometimes the leftovers get used "naturally" and other times they don't.

I'm not attacking you for wasting half an onion, but I don't see that distinction. Maybe you picked a wrong example but I add onion to salads, to cottage cheese and cream, or when I fry something, or make a soup...

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

pugnax posted:

Did you guys check out the ReFED report? I was one of the lead analysts on it, so if anyone has questions about the economics of dealing with food waste I'm happy to try and answer.

Thanks for the link. I can't believe that in the shadow of the Mothra vs. Godzilla slugging in this thread there is an actual expert in this field.

The report seems to be on the sloppy side though. I found "committed to reducing United States food waste in the United States" and links that offer LEARN MORE > but are impossible to click on... and I've only been clicking around for a minute or two.

edit: And different fonts used in the same sentence. Is this work in progress?

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 6, 2016

• Locked thread