Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
It's worth noting that while there is a certain symbolism to food waste it's not a particularly special kind of waste. There is zero question that we have the economic resources to feed everyone on the planet and given that economic activity is rather interchangeable it's not terribly different if I throw food out versus throwing out or generally consuming anything else. Everything consumes land and resources.

Does food consumer larger amounts of environmental resources than most other types of consumption (I'm not sure one way or the other). If so then that should probably be addressed more directly and honestly increased prices should perhaps be part of the picture (as it should be for anything else that has large externalities, like gas for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Helsing posted:

Typically "junk food" refers to food that's high in calories and comparatively low in nutritional content. The fact it's a pejorative and colloquial word doesn't mean its either incoherent or useless as a description.

You may have missed a bunch of threads where a cohort of posters have aggressively argued that terms like 'processed', 'junk' etc are meaningless and that generally conventional wisdom on nutrition is mostly wrong. Fishmech may show up soon. I assume they have some merit although I also assume the tone somewhat overemphasizes the point.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

A large part of this seems to be definition versus practical. I think everyone gets at this point that "processing" isn't inherently bad but it still may be the case that "processed foods" are on average worse for health. If so, guidelines suggesting you should reduce processed foods are in-fact, somewhat useful (or insert whatever else term is being argued here with "processed").

I think most people also get that not everything at Whole Foods is better and you don't have to pay $11 for unpasteurized or whatever milk to eat healthy.

I feel like if these two things are acknowledged half this food debate could end.

As a further aside though I take exception with anyone who's pushing cooking too hard. Not everyone enjoys it. Personally I can't be bothered. I'll spend time making a cocktail but when it comes to food I can barely be bothered to spread butter on bread before just eating it to end that hunger thing and get back to whatever more important thing I was doing (perhaps something that isn't made, destroyed and forgotten all in the same evening).

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I thought this would be an interesting discussion on food waste and ways to avoid it at various levels. Nope, pages and pages of arguing what junk food is and if it's worse to eat than fresh veggies. Ok.

I'm really wondering who's doing all the food wasting though. I so rarely see it.
In my household we try not to waste any food. It mostly comes naturally. Buy food related to the meals you generally make, prioritize cooking things that involve ingredients that are going to expire sooner than others. Every now and then some spinach gets mushy or some milk will turn sour but the amount of food we actually ever have to throw away is super low. We had a discussion about food waste a while ago with some friends and discussed shopping/cooking/storing practices and everyone else seemed to be the same. Every now and then throw away a small portion of veggies, maybe some cheese went moldy and it wasn't the sort you can just scrape off. Food costs money, wasting it because you were too stupid to keep on eye on your stocks and toss poo poo into a stir fry before it goes off is shameful. I feel pretty shameful and upset if I have to throw anything away. And at restaurants pretty much everyone gets left overs packed up if it's the sort of food that's still tasty the next day.

Now of course this is just my social circle, and it's more or less how I was raised as well. My parents are probably a little worse as my dad constantly goes out to friend's places for dinner so my mom never quite knows what food to stock.

I'm curious who's doing all the household food wasting. People far richer than me or my peers who can afford to buy fancy food then throw it away? Poor people too stressed/disorganized to keep tabs on what they have and need to cook? Is it a cultural thing not an income/class thing? I know I saw a lot more food waste when visiting friends and family down in the US, but it's hardly a big enough sample group to say "americans waste more food!" or "suburban folk waste more food"

It's really not hard to waste food.

My wife is a pretty good cook and when there is enough time she can and will put together a unique meal every night of the week with two sides. So she often buys stuff with this idea in mind. But then two things happen. First the amount you buy doesn't match the meals you actually make, leaving odd amount of leftovers. And second, you don't end up having time to cook what you planned for. Good fresh ingredients often don't even last a week so if you buy them with good intentions and plans change they go to waste.

Now on the first point we have some disagreements. I'm not picky so I don't give a crap if we repeat something or if there is only a half portion of something or wahtever. But her standards are higher and she'll be willing to throw stuff out in order to have a more proper meal. Since I contribute nothing to the kitchen, I have little leverage changing how anything happens there.

• Locked thread