Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PT6A posted:

In what world in 1750 calories per day representative of average? I need 2700 calories per day to maintain my weight, and I'm skinny (6'2", 165 lbs).

You may already know that basal metabolic rate varies pretty widely. For example my height and maintenance are the same but I weigh 30+ more pounds than you (you fucker).

You also may be more active than average? America is pretty sedentary as a whole.

But really we should give the peasants minimum calories so that they will stay puny and can't effectively rebel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I don't understand how there could be a single method to sizing portions properly across all restaurants and customers. Can you explain further?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Some people are too shy to ask about portion sizes, although that's not really the fault of the restaurant. Price is often a good measure but not always, and servers often give bad or highly subjective advise on portions. I'm going to assume that $9.50 entree is smaller than the $15.00 one, but that's not always the case, sometimes it just has more expensive stuff in it or it's a rip off or you've accidentally walked into a "tapas" restaurant. Scope out other tables and see the general sizes of stuff. When in doubt, ask, and know your self too. Better to order too little than too much, you can always order more. Me and my wife are usually totally good to share an entree + a smaller side, or one big entree. Many of my friends can put away a large entree them selves plus multiple large beers plus a side and then still have room to be the table garbage disposal if anyone else can't finish. These garbage disposal people are very useful for making sure your table has no shameful food waste. We tend to never order anything we might not be able to finish if it's something that doesn't make good left overs (day old chinese or thai is generally great, sushi no way).

Everyone fucks up now and again and is caught off guard by a huge portion, or misjudged their appetite, or just hated their food. That's what friends are for! But like I said, I notice that people who waste a ton of food in restaurants are usually seated together. Those 6 ladies who just left each left half their food on their plates, while the other tables all ate 90-100%. It's very rare that I ever see a table where all the plates are cleared except for one. I'm guess this is a mix of social/class/culture and the "collective stomach" of the table being full. Friends can only help friends finish if they aren't totally full them selves.

These are all methods for a restaurant-goer, banal enough to be the basis of a Kevin James bit. You said that the restaurants themselves should "know how to size a loving portion properly," that's the secret technique I'm interested in.

E: vvvv sorry, I'm an idiot. Though I wanted to clarify my question anyway.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 6, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Radbot posted:

How does D&D feel about low carbohydrate diets? I'm guessing "they're terrible and everyone who uses them is an idiot"?

I don't know who dares speak for the sub forum as a whole, but I think it's a religion: it can be helpful, is on average no better or worse than the alternatives available, but there's certain people who can't shut up about how it's the answer to every problem, and they can give it a bad reputation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

pugnax posted:

Depends on your perspective - organic waste accounts for as much of a third of landfilled municipal waste, which is sort of a big deal if waste reduction/circular economy/ghg mitigation are high priorities.

Can't organic waste just be composted?

• Locked thread