Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mirthless posted:

The biggest problem is that the food industry has figured out that sane portion sizes is a marketable trait, so they charge you extra for less product because they know people will pay more for the convenience.

If you could buy a half loaf of bread people would buy half loaves of bread. The high end bread brands all sel half-loaves and seem to do just fine, but they're the only companies that do that. You can't just go to the dollar store and pay a 1.00 for half as many slices as the 1.80 white bread loaf. Instead it's $3.25 for the half of the $4 loaf of rye

I don't have a cost breakdown for food and other inexpensive consumer goods but you do realize that it's not just a corporate conspiracy that companies sell items in larger quantities for a lower cost per amount and there is such a thing as an economy of scale, right? Boutique brands can sell items in smaller amounts for the same cost per amount because their profit margin is greater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mirthless posted:

Agricultural subsidies make TV dinners and other convenience food artificially cheap, IMO, and are part of the problem. You'd think farm subsidies would have a positive impact on hunger, but it just encourages waste and overproduction (hence why corn is in loving everything) and masks the actual problem of "real" food being completely unaffordable for some people. It is a problem if it's legitimately cheaper (and sadly these days it often is) to feed your family a product that someone had to research and develop and package and market than it is to just feed them fruits, vegetables and a protein.

This doesn't make sense to me. The cost of "real food", whatever that is, is probably lower than it has ever been.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 23, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

BarbarianElephant posted:

The easiest way to not waste food is to eat "processed" food. It keeps well and is generally portioned in single portions. So we really should be glad if there's a lot of consumer food waste, because it means people are cooking. There is no food waste in a hungry man dinner because it is exactly one portion. But if you cook your own Sunday roast, you tend to misjudge things a little. You make 5 portions of carrots, 6 of potatoes and 4 of meat for your 4-person family, and you throw away 300g of peelings and bones - shocking waste!

We had a poster earlier in this thread rant about the evils of food waste, how the cost of food is too high, and how processed food is bad. How his brain does not explode from simultaneously holding three contradictory opinions, I have no idea.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

In light of stuff like this, how people can give lectures and make definitive statements in this thread about what foods are healthy and are not healthy is beyond me. Honestly, I'm convinced that a lot of health benefits which are attributed to "eating healthily" are knock-on benefits from exercising, getting regular sleep, not heavily drinking or doing drugs, and avoiding stress, since people who "eat healthily" tend to do those things too.

• Locked thread