Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Helsing posted:

I'm not trying to hurt you're feelings. I use the term "goony" because it bears connotations of being mentally and physically unhealthy, socially isolating and aesthetically depressing. All of those are descriptions I'm comfortable using regarding a post that amounts to "I prefer unhealthy prepackaged foods they let me maximize my TV watching time." Sorry but I'm going to go ahead and say you should buy some rice, some veggies, and some dry pasta, familiarize yourself with the stove and oven, and maybe leave the TV off for the evening and crack open a book when you're all done.

I will openly admit to being an "elitist" who thinks human beings are going to be happier when they spend more time being physically active and eating nutritious fresh foods. The kind of lifestyle you're describing is understandable but it's neither desirable nor healthy and the discussion should be about how to help people transition away from it, not some ludicrous false equivalency that claims all lifestyles are equally healthy or equally conducive to human happiness.

Many of us are physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted by the time we get home at night. It makes the prospect of doing anything but sitting on the couch and unwinding from that near suicidal form is really unpalatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

Convincing consumers to give up some degree of choice would solve a lot of allocation problems but would it make us per se better off?

I'd say it depends on the perspective. From the resource and environmental side, yes of course. For being happy and enjoying what your life? Not so much. Much like Bloomburg's attempt to ban salt and butter, though it'd make everyone eat healthier, it'd also make food bland and awful.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Food that isn't spoiled but is going to go to waste otherwise, should be canned, jarred, pickled, dried, frozen or otherwise preserved and given to those who need it.

• Locked thread