Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

This might have been posted before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il14X_zKvbA

quote:

Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.
For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.
His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.
For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.
His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.
Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.
"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?"
Despite his temporary success, Haub does not recommend replicating his snack-centric diet.
"I'm not geared to say this is a good thing to do," he said. "I'm stuck in the middle. I guess that's the frustrating part. I can't give a concrete answer. There's not enough information to do that
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

WampaLord posted:

How loving hungry was this guy every single day?

I can't imagine he ever felt satiated and full.

According to the interview in the video, the first two days were the hardest part where he felt as bad as when he started a low-carb diet. By the end of the week he felt fine.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Obdicut posted:

We shouldn't ignore it, but we should definitely acknowledge that obesity is a bigger problem by several orders of magnitude. Obesity easily, easily causes more than 100x the deaths and DALYs vs any vitamin deficiency in the US.

And we have probably been underestimating deaths from obesity, as the best methodological study to date shows.

http://europepmc.org/articles/pmc3780738

So, the absolutely overwhelming majority of our 'nutritional' approach should be getting people to reduce calories. The populations that have vitamin deficiency area also identifiable demographic groups so they can be targeted, the blanket message to the US should focus only on reduction of calories.

I agree, I've done out and inpatient clinics in the USA and other Western countries and the amount of people I've seen with clinically relevant nutritional deficiencies not related to an underlying pathology can be counted on one hand. Obesity related cardiovascular disorders are present in nearly half of the patients I see. To me, nutritional deficiencies feel like more of an academic problem.

Though this is ofc not my area of expertise

• Locked thread