Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016
For the record, I just read through this thread focusing on Helsing's response and it seems a lot of sperglords here sure liked to jump over the use a colloqual heuristic that's commonly used as the start of educationg regular people about what foods to eat. Reading through it, it didn't come across to me as Helsing arguing against GMOs or some other airy-fairy crap, it was rather straightforward, but too much time on the autism spectrum I guess causes the kind of picking apart conversation that I have so often lurked and only read about.

People seem set to construct this giant strawman of Helsing spewing on about "DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE IN MY FOOD! OH MY GOD!" when he has never argued for that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

Obdicut posted:

Cool of you to literally use a straw man accusation there. Nobody accused Helsing of spewing about "DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE IN MY FOOD! OH MY GOD!". He was arguing against what are essentially preserved foods in a food waste thread, and conflating the dangers between a processed food like salami and a processed food like canned tomatoes. He has weird ideas about nutrition, recommending first someone home cook pasta, vegetables, and rice in order to eat more healthily than prepared foods--this is lovely because pasta and rice are things we try to get people to eat less of because they're calorific, not satisfying, and have a high glycemic index. He hasn't got a leg to stand on at any point, especially since his poo poo was one massive derail anyway.

Prepared foods are one of the absolute best ways we deal with food waste, and doing home-cooked everything is not a solution to food waste, at all. One of the major problems with public health in urbanization during the late 1800s was that it wasn't economical to import enough fresh food, including fresh milk, into the city to feed everyone, since a lot of those people were stinking poors and vegetables and stuff take up a lot of room. Milk was also really, really hard to get, because it needed intense refrigeration, leading to swill milk http://www.forgottendelights.com/DairySwillMilk.html.

I would rather see more recipes that dealt with canned and frozen vegetables and ways to spruce them up than endless "farm-fresh tomatoes from your farmers market" style stuff. We have enough of the latter.

Let me remind you that this derail literally started because a goon actually argued against cooking for himself because he is a loving manchild who wanted more time to watch TV. Somehow this is a solution to food waste because....?

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

Obdicut posted:

I meant that the conversation was over and you'd admitted it was a huge derail, so why resurrect it?

Uhh, to be fair here, I was the one who resurrected it, to call out your dumb characterizations of his argument and Helsing even asked me not to in order for this conversation not to be rehashed.

• Locked thread