Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure most food waste is food that never even makes it to distribution because they contain cosmetic defects and some such, so even though it's a perfectly good food, it doesn't look perfect, and as such will not sell to major retailers etc.

A rather significant amount of it is a mix of that and stuff that just wasn't sold. Supermarkets, restaurants, and whatever are expected to have everything in stock all the time so they overstock by default, knowing ahead of time they'll never sell all of it. The stuff they don't sell just goes in the garbage. Some places have been selling it as compost but you'll see things like pizza places throwing away entire stacks of perfectly edible pies and contaminating it so nobody can eat it.

It's really just an indicator of what America stands for; profit is more important than people. Considering how drat much food America produces there should be exactly zero hungry people but instead we've chosen to have millions of people hungry and living in poverty because "gently caress you, go back to work." If you aren't generating profit for the 1% you don't deserve to live. Even if you are they might just decide you don't get enough to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

wateroverfire posted:

The majority of food waste is at the consumer level. Almost 70%.

That's a stupid reason to encourage businesses to quit wasting food. Like absurdly, profoundly stupid.

Well hey this potential solution won't eliminate 100% of waste so gently caress it, status quo it is! Keep throwing away pizzas that could be given to poor kids.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liberal_L33t posted:

One of the funny things about this topic is that for all of the flak frozen TV dinners get for being a sign of some cultural deficiency in modern society (because there isn't a stay at home wife person who is also balancing a career but just loves domesticity and kitchen cleaning so much that they love spending two hours a day on food prep and cleanup like there ~should be~), they are hands down the least likely products to contribute to consumer-side food waste.

The ones I buy come in paper trays or thin plastic bags, too, so plastic waste isn't as much of an issue. Just another piece of evidence for my growing belief that the sanctity of household cooking is an invention of people who were/are rich enough to have others do it for them.

One of the reasons frozen dinners get grief is actually because they can be very, very unhealthy. A lot of them are primarily made of corn and salt. People also automatically think of the cheapest kinds of frozen foods and associate the frozen aisle with those people.

Part of it is because those people might not be able to afford more trips to the store than once a month when food stamps come out so they need to buy for the whole month. Suburbanites that can afford to go whenever they feel like it can get fresh produce all the time so they typically will.

Granted the other side of it is just not wanting to be viewed as lazy. Frozen food just has a nasty reputation all around that it doesn't deserve. It also doesn't help that somebody decided that freezing something ruins every nutrient it has, which is absolute bullshit. Frozen vegetables are just as good as fresh.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Salt is a bad thing to focus on seeing as we haven't really been able to conclusively show that it's bad to over-consume it absent certain health conditions, it's a much healthier way to enhance flavor then adding fat.

Some people seem sensitive to it and some people seem like they aren't.

Excessive salt intake raises your blood pressure. Some people that doesn't do much to (I'm one of them in that my blood pressure tends to be low enough that a doctor said to me "eat more salt.") but people who already have high blood pressure it can gently caress up severely. Coupled with the fact that Americans are likely to also be fat that's two things that increase blood pressure.

High blood pressure fucks up your heart. You can't predict it in individuals but over a population? Yeah. High levels of salt is bad. You do, however, need a certain amount of salt to live.

The issue is that salt and calories taste really, really good and processed food is often geared toward being as tasty as possible. The issue isn't food processing in and of itself but in an effort to get you to buy X food instead of Y a lot of food companies just focus on making things taste good. Which, of course, means salt and calories. This is why snack foods and junk foods have come under fire; you get bags of food that are primarily made of corn, salt, and not much else. You can't get proper nutrition on that and it just jacks up how many calories our sedentary culture eats.

If memory serves your average American is inactive and eats over 3,000 calories a day. Part of the reason is because the food industry has made delicious, calorie-dense, cheap food easily available everywhere, all the time. It's just plain easy to shovel garbage down your throat all day every day without even really realizing it. Snack vending machines are everywhere. Convenience stores have 700 calorie beverages. Starbucks can sell you a cup with 400 calories in it and you may not even think to count it.

Meanwhile we associate healthy foods with hipsters, hippies, and even worse bland, awful things that are no fun to eat. Americans are also stressed and overworked. Americans eat for comfort because sometimes that's all you have time for. gently caress, I got up at 6 today to get the kids to school, worked 9 hours, and now I have to cart them around everywhere and I don't have time for anything so McDonald's it is. Christ it's 7:30 and I'm still doing poo poo I just want to watch a TV show but I can't oh hey Starbucks! Mmmm, dis a good latte. God what a day, wait I haven't eaten since lunch but it's 10 p.m. and I don't feel like doing anything so I'll microwave this thing and eat some chips and gently caress God drat it I have to be up at 5 tomorrow. Well hey at least these Hot Pockets taste good. Yum, calories and salt. Wow, I'm still hungry guess I'll eat this bag of chips too.

Crap I overslept and can't pack lunch. I'll just grab Subway and get myself some chips while I'm there. Today is going to suck. I'll get myself some Starbucks then when I get home drink like 12 beers.

Repeat day in day out for years and you have too many calories going on, not enough getting burned, and piles and piles of salt.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

The last time I checked there wasn't any correlation between obesity and education or income levels.

In America I'm pretty sure the poor are more likely to be overweight but then America is just a fat nation in general so that doesn't say a lot.

• Locked thread