Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

OwlFancier posted:

Nah, that seems more complicated than it's worth. Just treat food more like you would a municipal water supply.

The only way this would work and not devolve into a classic case of mass shortages and overproduction is if you literally treat it like municipal water supply and just pipe a uniform food product into everyone's home. So...go Soylent I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Why don't we already have mass shortages? People get given money and can spend it on any food they like. What's the difference between that and a fairly generous allowance of food for everyone?

You just said you wouldn't have food vouchers or whatever and would just give it away for free.

Also, P.S. you still have to pay per-unit for municipal water supply, not to mention hookup fees...

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Not to mention if you think letting people walk away with as much free food as they want is going to reduce food waste then you're out of your mind.

It was already mentioned earlier in the thread but the end consumers are where the mist waste occurs. The idea that just offering up food for free in significant quantities will reduce waste is insane. A lot of the waste upstream is from 1) baked in waste to meet consumer expectations of variety and quantity of good available at any given time and 2) ag subsidies designed to prop up certain farming systems and crops.

I mean, yeah in theory it may be possible to give everyone free rice and beans, but doesn't mean it's a desirable or efficient end goal.

• Locked thread