Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The last time I checked there wasn't any correlation between obesity and education or income levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/are-low-income-people-at-greater-risk-for-overweight-or-obesity/

quote:

While all segments of the U.S. population are affected by obesity, one of the common myths that exists is that all or virtually all low-income people are far more likely to be obese. In this generalization, two facts commonly are overlooked: (1) the relationship between income and weight can vary by gender, race-ethnicity, or age and (2) disparities by income seem to be weakening with time.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Narratives like the poor blue-collar worker pigging out on fast food due to poor impulse control strike me as educated people being patronizing more than anything else.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Which is to say, yes, there's a correlation between poverty and obesity.

Whoops from the same page.
Couldn't wait to get your poor people are natural fatties rocks off eh.

quote:

However, this relationship between obesity and poverty “appears to no longer exist” as more recent NHANES data (2003 to 2006) suggest no difference in obesity rates between the two groups. In addition, rates of obesity increased by 62 percent among the poor and by 155 percent among the non-poor from 1971 to 2006.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Zodium posted:

helsing you are my favoritest D&D poster and I got no dog in this race until somebody trips the stats alarm, but you are way out of your field and way out of your league on this issue. and uncharacteristically oblivious to that fact. :smith:

Problem with talking about nutrition is that it's so easy to lapse into arguments that are basically "i eat like this and am healthy so why can't everyone do this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

pugnax posted:

Did you guys check out the ReFED report? I was one of the lead analysts on it, so if anyone has questions about the economics of dealing with food waste I'm happy to try and answer.

This is pretty cool but it's unfortunate that they've gone with standard corporate-speak

e.g.,

quote:

Strong corporate leadership is needed to overcome organizational silos, since managers, chefs, and kitchen staff all need to buy in to the benefits to coordinate implementation.

• Locked thread