Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spacewolf posted:

More is good! I'll note that, from my perspective as an American, a lot of this is enlightening as hell.

(One thing I think worth noting is that I have my own questions....But they seem better for the UKMT over in D&D, but that always grows to such huge size so quickly that I look at it, go :stonklol: and just...run away crying.....)

When I decided to start reading/posting in UKMT I decided I had to read all of that month's thread to catch up. Then I realised that was an exercise in folly. Because it's basically a current affairs/events thread it obviously moves along quickly, and there's very few discussions that go on for page after page. So you'll be fine. Just jump in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HalPhilipWalker posted:

From the previous page

I'm an American and I don't know what the gently caress he's talking about. Do party manifestos mean something in Britain? In the US, the party platforms are entirely symbolic.

Broadly, yeah, the British public take party manifestos at face value. The voters will likely remember if there were big manifesto pledges that you don't go through with. Except in Scotland where the SNP were able to get away with promising to replace Council Tax with a less regressive system & then promptly spending the next 9 years just freezing Council Tax increases. But there are usually articles at the end of a Parliament showing how the government did against their promises before the last election. And people read them, & nod or shake their head.

That said, governments do things that weren't mentioned in the manifesto & it's not that big a deal: the bigger issue is promising something & then failing to deliver. Which is why manifestos end up filled with nonsense like "we'll ensure the 2012 Olympics are good".

• Locked thread