Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Fantastic post. I really would like to know more about the nationalized industries. Were they all bad but NHS? Why were they bad? Could they have been fixed? Hopefully someone could chime in.

I'd suggest reading up on the history of British Leyland since that really was the big one and most the perceptions of that pre Thatcher era of industrial unrest seems to come from that company.

Basically the government told two British Car companies that for years competed directly against each other to merge (BMC and Leyland Cars) under the belief that they would be better equipped to compete globally. The immediate issue was that as the two companies were fierce competitors they A: weren't very happy about working together, B: had a ridiculous amount of overlap in their range of cars with no way to see meaningful cost savings.

There's some pretty well documented history out there but pretty much the problems boiled down to refusing to modernize, cutting jobs being taboo and insufficient cash to invest in the future range of cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BalloonFish posted:

Thank you :) I can do more of the same if you want - I can keep it fairly general and use the car industry as a case study for how things were industrially/economically pre-1979 or I could focus and go into detail about why British cars were so utterly terrible if you want to know how that specific industry did (or, more accurately, didn't) work in this period. I think that's really more for AI than this thread but you're the one asking the questions!

The car industry does get thrown up a lot in general discussion about Britain in the 1960s and 70s. 'British Leyland' is a metaphor for the very worst in failed, money-sucking, strike-ridden, under-performing, inadequate, badly-managed nationalised industry (mainly because it was) and anyone who was around in that time will have very clear memories about how badly made and badly designed a lot of its products were. In fact just yesterday I heard some caller on the radio saying how Jeremy Corbyn's policies would "take us back to the 70s and it'll be the Austin Allegro all over again' - the Allegro being lodged in the popular conciousness as a particularly irredeemable turd of a car from BL. You'll read/hear right wingers talking about how the NHS (or whatever public sector organisation is being ripened for privatisation this week) uses 'management policies like something from British Leyland', even today when the company hasn't existed for 30 years. It's a boogeyman used to frighten people about the dark days before Mrs Thatcher came along.

By all means post more or if you think its more AI specific me or you could make an auto history thread which I think there is probably a need for anyways. I was a history major for a year before I realized I was rubbish at it but I still find it fascinating and I hold an endless obsession with BL's history.

• Locked thread