Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's the Final Countdown!

Hey everyone, noted Nintendo™ shill Jonas Albrecht here to fill you in on the details of Nintendo™'s newest console, the Nintendo™ Switch™!

The Basics

The Switch is the successor to the Wii U. It's a console/handheld hybrid that you can play on the go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI
Great for neglecting pets in public and alienating friends at rooftop parties.
It's $299.99
Has a battery life on the go of 2-6 hours depending on what game you're playing.
No Region Locking.
Has a capacitive touch screen.
Uses microSD cards.

The Controller
Or should I say controllers...
The main controller for the Switch are the Joy Cons.

These are multiconfiguration controllers capable of being used as a standard controller, as individual controllers each, or in a wiimote-esque fashion. They've got a wide variety of features listed here.
Separate Joy Cons are $90.

There's also a pro controller. It's $70, has gyro controls, an NFC reader, and I can't find a good article about it.

The Games
At launch, the Switch will have five games available:

1-2-Switch A party game that makes extensive use of the Joy-Con's haptic feedback.

Just Dance 2017 You just dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Abk1jAONjw

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Definitely the crown jewel of the Switch's lineup, I JUST WANT TO loving PLAY IT ALREADY.

Skylanders: Imaginators A toys to life game from Activision. More info here.

Super Bomberman R Holy poo poo, Bomberman is back!
http://kotaku.com/whos-excited-about-the-return-of-bomberman-1791166181

March/Spring games
Arms (Spring 2017)
Has-Been Heroes (March 2017)
I Am Setsuna (March 2017)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 28)
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Spring 2017)
Snipperclips, Cut It Out Together (March 2017)

Summer
Rime
Splatoon 2

Beyond
Disgaea 5 Complete (TBD)
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (2017)
FIFA (2017)
Fire Emblem Warriors (TBD)
Minecraft (2017)
Minecraft: Story Mode (TBD)
Rayman Legends (TBD)
NBA 2K (2017)
New Shin Megami Tensei (TBD)
Skylanders Imaginators (TBD)
Skyrim (Fall 2017)
Sonic Mania (2017)
Steep (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (Holiday 2017) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih323XXu_3w
Syberia 3 (TBD)
Ultra Street Fighter II (2017)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (2017)

FAQs
Q: Is online really going to a paid model?
Yep, Nintendo will be offering free online service until October, when it will switch to paid service. Price details are currently unknown.

Q: Should I get a Switch at launch?
In my opinion,no. Unless you missed out on the Wii U and want to play Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart or Splatoon, you're better off just waiting for the holiday season, where a price drop/bundle is likely. I preordered one, but I spend a lot of time away from home with plenty of downtime during the week. Plus I've never been able to buy a console at launch and wanted to treat myself.

Yo it's ya boy Rusty!

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb1oSrKj_qw

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 21, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's not the controller. I'm prepared to wager on this.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 13, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I label all my items as " confidential property" with a label machine

But seriously nintendo must have a death wish if they think a touch controller with two joysticks is going to be their ticket to success. It has to be fake, it just has to

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Could it be a portable console with a Steam Link-like component? That'd be neat.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I forgot something actually true about the NX.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/nintendo-nx-specs-rumors-nx-can-sync-with-bluetooth-has-power-comparable-to-xbox-one/39275.htm

Nintendo's operating system for the console will NOT be Android as previously rumored, but a proprietary OS called... NintendOS.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well this thread title rocks

Also if that controller is real Nintendo is fuuuuuucked

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Nintendo's console quality has directly related to the quality of their codenames for the last few cycles.

Dolphin: Great. Just a stellar codename. The majestic mammal of the sea. Inspired an emulator.

Revolution: What a name. What an experience. A revolution - that's what the Wii was... and it sold like hotcakes.

Project Cafe: Garbage. What's inspiring about a cafe? Cafes are where dreams go to die.

NX, Project Fusion, Project Crossover: An Xtreme name for the extreme need. Certainly, it's a better codename than Cafe, and arguably better than Revolution, but definitely worse than Dolphin.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I forgot something actually true about the NX.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/nintendo-nx-specs-rumors-nx-can-sync-with-bluetooth-has-power-comparable-to-xbox-one/39275.htm

Nintendo's operating system for the console will NOT be Android as previously rumored, but a proprietary OS called... NintendOS.

NintenDOS

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A mockup someone did of touch screen controls specific per game. Looks cool, though how practical it is it's entirely another matter.

Also, that bevel contour and badly applied small label don't give it much credence as a real thing that actually exists, though it still looks impressively real for a mockup.

e: an image illustrating what I meant:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 24, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

people seemed to hate the wiiu but it was the first nintendo i had since the snes, so im going to buy the nx and love it even it turns out to be poo poo

welp thats my review of the nx, subscribe to me, titty g for more ninty hot takes

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cubey posted:

Well this thread title rocks

Also if that controller is real Nintendo is fuuuuuucked

It's not. You can tell because there is no d-pad and Nintendo will never ever make a controller without a d-pad.

Mimir posted:

Nintendo's console quality has directly related to the quality of their codenames for the last few cycles.

Dolphin: Great. Just a stellar codename. The majestic mammal of the sea. Inspired an emulator.

Revolution: What a name. What an experience. A revolution - that's what the Wii was... and it sold like hotcakes.

Project Cafe: Garbage. What's inspiring about a cafe? Cafes are where dreams go to die.

NX, Project Fusion, Project Crossover: An Xtreme name for the extreme need. Certainly, it's a better codename than Cafe, and arguably better than Revolution, but definitely worse than Dolphin.

The codename for the SNES was "SFX", so that clearly means we're in for a golden age of gaming not seen since the early-mid '90s.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 24, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I refuse to believe that that is an official nintendo controller.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
maybe cam here

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
nintendo is for children, op

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

nintendo is for children, op

We are all somebody's children.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

A mockup someone did of touch screen controls specific per game. Looks cool, though how practical it is it's entirely another matter.

Also, that bevel contour and badly applied small label don't give it much credence as a real thing that actually exists, though it still looks impressively real for a mockup.

Games with touch screen buttons are the worst.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

We said the exact same thing about the Wii Remote and that still happened.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

SilverSupernova posted:

We said the exact same thing about the Wii Remote and that still happened.

that controller was actually good though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
maybe it'll be one of those new fancy tactile touch screens. still seems like a lot of work for no real reason, buttons are fine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"We dont want to make phone games instead we are making a console that combines the worst aspect of phone games into its main design" Nintendo apparently in 2016.

Tablets and phones must have broken nintendos brain.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Walrus posted:

still seems like a lot of work for no real reason, buttons are fine.

Well, if real, I imagine they are going away with buttons to transition more easily into making games for both mobile and their console at the same time, not because buttons are bad or outdated or anything.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Eh, honestly, no, not really. Ergonomically, it's not good. Functionally, it's not good either. It was revolutionary, sure, but it had problems.

I'll say though I never expected the U tablet controler to actually feel good after its first reveal, but I ate crow there.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Really was not a fan of it. Especially when you had to spend extra money for a control stick or all the buttons of a normal controller when the motion control gimmick got old.
Especially when said motion controls were extremely unruly.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Can you side talk into it like the hit gadget N-Gage?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

Can you side talk into it like the hit gadget N-Gage?

No, but you can use it as a football.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

No, but you can use it as a football.

NXflate Gate

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

wait is this ugly weird oval flatscreen thing actually real?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

wait is this ugly weird oval flatscreen thing actually real?

Is anything real?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Nintendo makes good and fun video games.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If that's actually controller, that's ten times less ergonomic than the controller for the NES.

At best: it's only going to be anchored by your thumbs pressing on the face, and the side of your index finger on the other side. At worst: you have to hold your thumbs on the face, index fingers across the top (like triggers for a regular controller), and then your middle fingers balancing it from the other side of the face.

Saoshyant posted:

It's entirely impractical because: The outer menu options are going to be entirely covered by your palm or thumb. In the same vein: those parts of the screen will always be obscured.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 24, 2016

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

My 3D modeling teacher actually talked about the NX yesterday. He said that people have been trying to debunk the controller, but the screen image shown in the initial "leak" showed some Ubisoft asset or something, and the idea is that people wouldn't have that, maybe? Does anyone here know anything about that?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

My 3D modeling teacher actually talked about the NX yesterday. He said that people have been trying to debunk the controller, but the screen image shown in the initial "leak" showed some Ubisoft asset or something, and the idea is that people wouldn't have that, maybe? Does anyone here know anything about that?

You are getting two rumors mixed. The first "leak" showed a still of an Unreal 4 tech demo (at a very odd angle), while the second "leak" has some trees on the reflection that have been theorized to be the trees on the front of one of Ubisoft's studios. The reflection of two trees. The Internet makes you stupid.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
If that controller is real it's not then it wouldn't make sense for the screen to extend all the way to the edges, because the sides of the controller would just be blocked by your hands while holding it and you couldn't see that area well. Seems like limiting the actual "screen" to the area between the sticks and reserving the area beyond them for haptic virtual whatever buttons would make sense.

And as NintendoLife points out it would be pretty unlikely for a final product, even a prototype, to match a patent diagram so closely. The patent is there to protect a concept, not a full design. They wouldn't have given away the design itself in the patent.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

You are getting two rumors mixed. The first "leak" showed a still of an Unreal 4 tech demo (at a very odd angle), while the second "leak" has some trees on the reflection that have been theorized to be the trees on the front of one of Ubisoft's studios. The reflection of two trees. The Internet makes you stupid.

that's really funny thanks

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
These rumors are pretty weak. I'm almost certain that you can't make rounded LCD screens.

It's not coming out this year because it hasn't been announced yet and consoles are always formally announced far in advance. There's all kinds of marketing and programming reasons for this.

tithin posted:

im going to buy the nx and love it even it turns out to be poo poo

Pretty much this. I'll still buy it even if it was a remake of the N64 and the only game was a lovely port of Metroid Other M.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
this should probably be included in the op for easy reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
This entire leak is planned to get the hype going virually before the NX debut announcement at E3. The controller? It isn't real.

No one is stupid enough to render where the player wouldn't even see it because it is covered by their hands.

Marketing and "Apple" style hype. Still fun to talk about I guess - but hopefully no one is this gullible any more.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Utnayan posted:

but hopefully no one is this gullible any more.
My 3D modeling class was in an uproar of anger and disappointment.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Junpei Hyde posted:

:same:

How are you even supposed to see the part of the screen covered by your thumbs? It's stupid and looks uncomfortable. No final product is going to look like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

this should probably be included in the op for easy reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

But this isn't the Wii U thread. :confused:

I should probably make a new one, considering the mods aren't unlocking the last one. Guess I'll have to ask first, though.

• Locked thread