Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

There were people who thought it was real? Did they actually look at it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I just said wow out loud.

Seriously though I'm still laughing at the trees theory.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Suspicious Cook posted:

There were people who thought it was real? Did they actually look at it?

We live in a world that had people convinced Rayman was coming to Smash Bros last year because of a mock-up that spread so far and wide Ubisoft were about to say something about it.

I don't honestly know what they were going to say about it considering it was all a ruse but that's how far we've advanced in our ability to make convincing looking fakes.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Yeah, but that Rayman fake was really good. This controller mockup looks like a stubby surfboard, has screen real estate covered by your thumbs, and would never fit a human hand comfortably.

I guess I should clarify by it not looking real. It's not that the mockup was poorly made, it's that the controller design is absolutely awful.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 25, 2016

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Both the Wii U and Xbox One are commercial failures, in what way is there competition for Sony?

I cannot even begin to grasp why Sony is in the lead this console gen when the PS4 currently has the least exclusive content out for it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Same reason 360 was in the lead last time, first of the next gen to come out.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Same reason 360 was in the lead last time, first of the next gen to come out.

By that logic, the WiiU should have the lead now.
Also the 360 actually did have a good start for the first few years.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX2smM87r14

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SilverSupernova posted:

By that logic, the WiiU should have the lead now.
Also the 360 actually did have a good start for the first few years.

Nintendo left the console war to take part in the handheld war it won.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Nintendo left the console war to take part in the handheld war it won.

If phones have indeed doomed the handheld market, at least Nintendo managed to own it for the entire run.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I forgot something actually true about the NX.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/nintendo-nx-specs-rumors-nx-can-sync-with-bluetooth-has-power-comparable-to-xbox-one/39275.htm

Nintendo's operating system for the console will NOT be Android as previously rumored, but a proprietary OS called... NintendOS.

it's for breakfast now!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Flavahbeast posted:

it's for breakfast now!

Nintend O's! :yum:

Are those marshmallows supposed to be footballs? What is that shape?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If phones have indeed doomed the handheld market, at least Nintendo managed to own it for the entire run.

Don't know how a phone could match the 3ds.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

SilverSupernova posted:

I cannot even begin to grasp why Sony is in the lead this console gen when the PS4 currently has the least exclusive content out for it.

Being cheaper and having multiplatform games perform better helps but doesn't it have something like three times as many exclusives as the Xbox?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it has bloodborne, which is enough

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Mobile gaming has supplanted handhelds for most of handheld gaming's former largest audience, kids and casual players.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Suspicious Cook posted:

Nintend O's! :yum:

Are those marshmallows supposed to be footballs? What is that shape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpiQnnp6p8

It's a cereal, wow!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I wonder if Nintendo really learned anything from the WiiU performances this generation of console gaming. It got a full year head start a head of the PS4 and Xbox One but still hasn’t beaten both in their sales numbers. Nintendo really tried to predict were consoles where going (tablet controllers) but it worked against their favor due to the Wii U last gen processing power. Plus third party developers didn’t really use the Wii U’s game pad features in any interesting ways and neither did Nintendo. Designing a game around the Wii U’s game pad features was probably tough especially if everyone else was so focused on the PS4 and Xbox One. No point in downgrading graphical and game play fidelity in order to suit the WiiU.

Now that the NX might show up at this year’s E3 and see a holiday release date, I’m slightly worried if its going to succeed. There have been a few crazy rumors like Nintendo using cartridges again, the weird touch screen controller and the fact that its as powerful as the Xbox One. The processing power worries me the most since both Sony and Microsoft are rumored to release up-gradable versions of their current consoles to accommodate VR. I know that PlayStation VR helmet is going to have its own processor box since the PS4 isn’t as powerful enough to run its hardware and software efficiently. Not sure about the Xbox One VR stuff but Microsoft if trying to merge its PC and Xbox brands again so they’ll be on par with each other makes somewhat sense. If NX fails to get third party developers back on board because of goofy and under powered hardware, then what’s I don’t know what could happen next for Nintendo. Then again VR might not catch on the way Sony and Microsoft were counting on. Either way, Nintendo should be more forward thinking if VR is a bust and try not to alienate other developers.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I saw a Tenzarin post quoted and quickly decided not to post

so, is this thing supposed to be the 3DS you take with you or what? the way they're making it, or the way they were talking about it, would basically be a 3DS on a charger

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

You're more likely to already have a phone on you and lots of people are just fine with the games you can get on phones. Honestly phones have enough power on them that all they would need is some decent buttons and they'd make perfectly fine game devices.

either way nintendo is making phone games too now so whatever happens you'll stil get to play mario on the go anyway.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lovely Senorita posted:

I saw a Tenzarin post quoted and quickly decided not to post

so, is this thing supposed to be the 3DS you take with you or what? the way they're making it, or the way they were talking about it, would basically be a 3DS on a charger

No one knows, they aint marketted poo poo

the only thing that's come out is rumours and bullshit

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tengames posted:

You're more likely to already have a phone on you and lots of people are just fine with the games you can get on phones. Honestly phones have enough power on them that all they would need is some decent buttons and they'd make perfectly fine game devices.

either way nintendo is making phone games too now so whatever happens you'll stil get to play mario on the go anyway.

I only really played monster hunter on the 3ds, I don't think a phone could do that better because the 3ds still hasn't got that down. It really made this one time I was having my car fixed up as I sat in the waiting room for what felt like 3 hours.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

It was a hundred dollars cheaper at launch and there are still people who think that the Xbone is always online.

Don't underestimate the damage the old Xbox leadership did before launch.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_B65J86D_8

Of course the other "leak" was fake too, but the guy explains the whole process from the 3D printing to the use of sand paper and spray painting, which is pretty cool since it looks great for something done by an hobbyist. Worth a watch.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 25, 2016

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_B65J86D_8

Of course the other "leak" was fake too, but the guy explains the whole process from the 3D printing to the use of sand paper and spray painting, which is pretty cool since it looks great for something done by an hobbyist. Worth a watch.

I just realized the usual parade of fake Pokemon you usually see in the lead up to a new generation release is going to be even more of a headache this time around when their fakemon can now have a reasonably convincing 3D printed toy prototype to go along with faked Coro Coro scans.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

smell this posted:

I wonder if Nintendo really learned anything from the WiiU performances this generation of console gaming. It got a full year head start a head of the PS4 and Xbox One but still hasn’t beaten both in their sales numbers. Nintendo really tried to predict were consoles where going (tablet controllers) but it worked against their favor due to the Wii U last gen processing power. Plus third party developers didn’t really use the Wii U’s game pad features in any interesting ways and neither did Nintendo. Designing a game around the Wii U’s game pad features was probably tough especially if everyone else was so focused on the PS4 and Xbox One. No point in downgrading graphical and game play fidelity in order to suit the WiiU.

Now that the NX might show up at this year’s E3 and see a holiday release date, I’m slightly worried if its going to succeed. There have been a few crazy rumors like Nintendo using cartridges again, the weird touch screen controller and the fact that its as powerful as the Xbox One. The processing power worries me the most since both Sony and Microsoft are rumored to release up-gradable versions of their current consoles to accommodate VR. I know that PlayStation VR helmet is going to have its own processor box since the PS4 isn’t as powerful enough to run its hardware and software efficiently. Not sure about the Xbox One VR stuff but Microsoft if trying to merge its PC and Xbox brands again so they’ll be on par with each other makes somewhat sense. If NX fails to get third party developers back on board because of goofy and under powered hardware, then what’s I don’t know what could happen next for Nintendo. Then again VR might not catch on the way Sony and Microsoft were counting on. Either way, Nintendo should be more forward thinking if VR is a bust and try not to alienate other developers.

You're chastising Nintendo for doing the tablet thing, but you think loving VR, which combines the worst failures of all three current console makers (Virtual Boy / Kinect / Move) is going to be the thing to take off?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

raditts posted:

You're chastising Nintendo for doing the tablet thing, but you think loving VR, which combines the worst failures of all three current console makers (Virtual Boy / Kinect / Move) is going to be the thing to take off?
Nobody really used the second screen well and all three platforms had a version of it at some point. That post also doesn't seem dead certain that VR will work but rather that Nintendo will get "locked out" again for being behind on power, which is a very real threat. How many multiplatform titles did we get for Wii U again? How many after the launch window?

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Nobody really used the second screen well and all three platforms had a version of it at some point. That post also doesn't seem dead certain that VR will work but rather that Nintendo will get "locked out" again for being behind on power, which is a very real threat. How many multiplatform titles did we get for Wii U again? How many after the launch window?

it's been decades since nintendo was a serious option for multiplatform 3rd party titles, I don't think that's an issue at all.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Cook posted:

:same:

How are you even supposed to see the part of the screen covered by your thumbs? It's stupid and looks uncomfortable. No final product is going to look like that.

maybes its different if you have tiny japanese hands

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

dipple posted:

it's been decades since nintendo was a serious option for multiplatform 3rd party titles, I don't think that's an issue at all.
Yeah it probably can't happen at this point, no matter whether they need it or not

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

CrashCat posted:

Yeah it probably can't happen at this point, no matter whether they need it or not

I don't think it's a definite "3rd parties can't go on Nintendo platforms". If Nintendo could finally put out a console that isn't outright limiting to 3rd parties (with gimmicks like Wii or Wii U, or being cartridge based like N64), and wasn't selling terrible like the GC, 3rd parties would probably find good return investment on Nintendo ports.

Also, is the narrative now that the GC had terrible 3rd party support? It was certainly not as much as PS2, but at the same time it definitely had a bunch of stuff as well, and it felt like it was significantly more support than what the Wii U got.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CrashCat posted:

With its underuse in most actual games, it probably would have been better off as a peripheral, but I definitely appreciated what use it did get, especially when it allowed for asymmetrical gameplay (Wii Party U / Mario Party / Nintendoland justified its existence entirely for me) and being able to play games without having to be tethered to a TV.

I hope the NX winds up being what we all expect it to be with the console / handheld combo that can work together or separately, because that would be everything I liked about the gamepad without all the issues people actually had with the gamepad.

As for being underpowered or whatever, that's never felt like a problem to me wrt actual games on the Wii U, since they know how to work around their limitations to make games that are fun to play and don't look dated since they're colorful and nice to look at instead of the greybrown motif that still permeates most current-gen games. I mean don't get me wrong, it would be great to have those third party multiplat games just to keep the userbase up which leads to more games I give a poo poo about, but as long as Nintendo has a good stable of their own titles, I could personally care less about those games since I'm just gonna play them on PC anyway where I never have to worry about backwards compatibility.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm okay with them trying out new gimmicks and trying to innovate as long as it doesn't put them out of business, because even when it doesn't work out there's usually at least something I like about what they did.

edit: What was Sony's version of the second screen anyway? I remember Xbox has SmartScreen, but bafflingly they just kinda announced it as a thing and proceeded to do exactly fuckall with it and seemed to immediately forget it existed.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 25, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

raditts posted:

What was Sony's version of the second screen anyway?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Ventana posted:

I don't think it's a definite "3rd parties can't go on Nintendo platforms". If Nintendo could finally put out a console that isn't outright limiting to 3rd parties (with gimmicks like Wii or Wii U, or being cartridge based like N64), and wasn't selling terrible like the GC, 3rd parties would probably find good return investment on Nintendo ports.

Also, is the narrative now that the GC had terrible 3rd party support? It was certainly not as much as PS2, but at the same time it definitely had a bunch of stuff as well, and it felt like it was significantly more support than what the Wii U got.

Yeah, the GameCube definitely had decent 3rd party support from the big publishers like EA and Activision. A lot of the smaller devs though went PS2-only because it was so successful in terms of sales.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So what do we know so far about games for it? I think I remember hearing that square was looking into porting FFXIV and one of the Dragon Quest games for it, but not much else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SilverSupernova posted:

So what do we know so far about games for it? I think I remember hearing that square was looking into porting FFXIV and one of the Dragon Quest games for it, but not much else.

We know about as much about the software as we do the hardware, so speculate away!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The only thing I'd call a sure bet is Zelda Wii U/NX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

raditts posted:

As for being underpowered or whatever, that's never felt like a problem to me wrt actual games on the Wii U, since they know how to work around their limitations to make games that are fun to play and don't look dated since they're colorful and nice to look at instead of the greybrown motif that still permeates most current-gen games. I mean don't get me wrong, it would be great to have those third party multiplat games just to keep the userbase up which leads to more games I give a poo poo about, but as long as Nintendo has a good stable of their own titles, I could personally care less about those games since I'm just gonna play them on PC anyway where I never have to worry about backwards compatibility.

edit: What was Sony's version of the second screen anyway? I remember Xbox has SmartScreen, but bafflingly they just kinda announced it as a thing and proceeded to do exactly fuckall with it and seemed to immediately forget it existed.
Nintendo could obviously care less about third party games as well, since from their Nintendo Direct presentations everyone goes gaga over you would be hard pressed to believe they even have a third party title. Unfortunately that means the Nintendo becomes the "second console" which is something a lot of people aren't willing to pay for. It's fine for you and me but for most families the kid is gonna get one if any and if they want to play the same poo poo as all their friends it's probably not gonna be a Nintendo.

The Sony version of a second screen was split between Remote Play on PSP/Vita, companion apps on tablets (mostly from Ubi games), and a second screen option was actually put into the Playstation tablet app but I never saw it used. It has instructions in the app on how to use it as a second screen though, maybe there was some game that actually did. Needless to say Remote Play is the only use out of those anyone cared about (and similar to that feature you liked about the Wii U).

• Locked thread