Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I look forward to playing Mario Kart NX with all of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

richness doesnt come form material posession, but from personal strength friend. your dreams are mine as we are one, brothers and sisters in arms in the world o games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bass Bottles posted:

What is stopping you, friend? What are your dreams? What are your hopes?

I want nintendo to lead us into a new golden age of gaming and the console to be pretty cool. I dream of an age where games are fun, and it can be serious fun and nonserious fun alike. Also that it will appeal to my friends so when I get one I won't be lonely. This is what I hope for, dream for.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

games are fun if u own a ps4. everything else is garbage. welcome.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

PBS Newshour posted:

I want nintendo to lead us into a new golden age of gaming and the console to be pretty cool. I dream of an age where games are fun, and it can be serious fun and nonserious fun alike. Also that it will appeal to my friends so when I get one I won't be lonely. This is what I hope for, dream for.

Ah, mhmm, yes

And I hope the games are whimsical, as well

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Whimsical is good and cool

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
This thread's title sure does changes a lot.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Stux brings a wave of poo poo wherever he goes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

Stux brings a wave of poo poo wherever he goes.

i am a symptom of a Fail console or video game, not a cause

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The shark tank thread is leaking again.

Who could have predicted that this thread about an upcoming console that no details have been released for would turn out to be a lovely thread

If we only knew...

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Stux posted:

lets remember that nintendo's history in home consoles at this point is one of repeated mistakes and failures and any successes have come in spite of themselves.

the NES was fine, but it was also running unopposed. it had no other real competition in the home console space. but it was a fine console, it did well and nintendo marketed the thing intelligently in the US. this is literally the high point of nintendo home consoles. 62 million units sold.

the SNES was a nothing machine. it was literally a new NES. despite coming off of a generation that they had dominated, they somehow lost ground to the genesis of all things and ended up in a worse position than the generation before. already they have slipped. 50 million units sold, a drop from the NES, which itslelf isnt an issue, but the market for consoels grew at the same time. luckily for them sega was even dumber and self destructed in the following years.

next they made the dumbest loving move in the history of games and courted sony to make some dumb poo poo hybrid machine. this move was completely inexplicable. what was even more inexplicable was that after having put in so much work, they dropped sony, tried the same thing with phillips, then decided actually theyd just make their own console again. this move was akin to microsoft bailing out apple in how much it hosed them over, only somehow worse.

so they come out with the n64. it has a dumb controller, which will be a trend moving forward, it steals ideas from the sega 32x with expandable hardware (why?), it uses carts still despite them being gently caress dumb expensive and not worth it, it cant handle 3d well, the list of gently caress ups are endless. possibly the worst console they ever made on a purely technical level. along with this sony release a console, however they;re a new name in gaming, its their first real attempt at a console that will see release. this shouldnt have been a compeititon for the company that had revived a dead market in the US and was still the market leader. unfortuantely nitnendo is institutionally dumb: they sell 32 million units while the ps1 moves over 100 million, eclipsing everything theyve done in one go. all because nintendo hosed them over. good move. this is the foundation on which their future failure will be built.

next is the gamecube, probably their best attempt at a modern console. unfortunately despite actually having a technically solid console with a controller which isnt that stupid (its still pretty stupid) they failed to market it at all, they failed to get any proper software support and they failed to properly learn any lessons from the embaressment of the n64. they sell just over 20 million units while sony shifts 155 million ps2s. sony in two generations has completely and utterly taken the market from them.

then you get the wii. this shouldve been what saved them in the home console space. it had a dumb controller and gimmick, but it came at exactly the right time when people were open to it, and its implementation was great for attracting brand new gamers that no one had been able to get before. luckily these people havnt played nintendo games since the snes so their usual copy paste mario etc games sell. sony made a really dumb loving move with the ps3 and was fighting off the 360, giving nintendo a great chance to regain lost ground. unfortunately it turns out this was a complete accident, and sony arent as dumb as sega. despite selling around 100 million units and winning the generation, they had no plan or ideas for how to keep this influx of gamers on their platforms, while sony turned around the ps3 and grabbed second place. the wii succeeded in spite of nintendo and not because they expected it to.

this leads directly to the wii u, which has the worst marketing of anything ever made, leading people to think its dumb gimmick controller was just a wii add on. everyone who bought the wii moved to either sony, mobile or pc beacuse they forgot to leverage their new playerbase. they release it while everyone is anticipating the new sony and microsoft consoles which couldve been a masterstroke had they given it modern hardware and got proper third party support. unfortunately it was barely more powerful than the ps3/360 and more expensive than them, but no where near as powerful as what people were expecting from the new ps and xbox. compounded with that they forget that they need to actually make games for it and dont bother for two years. they move 10 million units, and by the time they start making games for it sony releases the ps4 which destroys it on every single level.

the NX will do exactly the same thing again. we already know it has a dumb gimmick (hybrid handheld console lmao), except this time the gimmick is "lets sacrifice our actually successful hardware to try and save our dead hardware". it'll have poo poo hardware, its alreayd been said it'll be around xbox levels, so it will be less powerful than an established console which is currently selling ridiculous numbers. it'll have no third party support despite the fact that they already know the market for their first party shovelware is around 10 million people. it will have some dumbshit name, probably one that confuses the general public, because apparently the only company in gaming able to simply pick a name and incredment numbers on it is sony. its coming out in a shortened time frame, much like the dreamcast did after the failure of the saturn. everything about it and nintendo themselves mean it will fail, and it will fail hard while taking down the DS brand with it. they cannot just make hardware no one buys forever, especially when their main competition is making a console that is profitable on every sale and more powerful, with better software, better support and better brand recognition. they will move to software, which they shouldve done after the n64 and finally die. namaste.

close this thread, its not needed anymore. put this post in the OP and pin the thread until the NX releases. RIP nintendo.

who cares

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no one, because no oen plays any nintendo game, so no one is affected when they have 2 quit

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
i play nintendo game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I will buy any console nintendo sells that is the only way to play Monster Hunter. I don't care what you have to say about that.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I love the new thread title.
Still not as good as NX GON GIVE IT TO YA! But it's good.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

the real question is will Nintendo be able to make gaming ambrosia iwth the NX and be a REAL video game company

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

the SNES was pretty cool, guys. star fox, actraiser, secret of evermore. man, good stuff

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
should I post in this thread

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lady Naga posted:

should I post in this thread

yes, just don't read it

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
alright. I don't think I like nintendo much.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lady Naga posted:

alright. I don't think I like nintendo much.

:eyepoop:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
the gameboy advance and the ds were cool but I dislike the grand majority of nintendo's home console output.

DumbInACan
Jun 14, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

I will buy any console nintendo sells that is the only way to play Monster Hunter. I don't care what you have to say about that.

Yeah I feel you on that but it would be cool to get more out of it than mh!

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys
If it weren't for Bloodborne, I would really regret buying a ps4. That game is the reason I bought it and the only reason I haven't sold the system. My Wii U has gotten so much more play time and more games that are worth having. It's a real treasure in my book. I can't wait to hear more about the NX at e3! This thread is mostly dumb and sad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

the gameboy advance and the ds were cool but I dislike the grand majority of nintendo's home console output.

In all seriousness, I wonder if there are people, aside from extremely casual gamers, whose entire experience with Nintendo has been via their handhelds.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 28, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I wonder the same thing but for Sega.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I wonder the same thing but for Sega.

Maybe. I believe they made at least one follow up to the paper tiger that was the Game Gear.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nomad. Should've called it the Nobad

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Nomad. Should've called it the Nobad

I can't believe I forgot about the Nomad. Sega beat Nintendo to the 16-bit handheld by 4 years, and it still bombed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bungbroy posted:

If it weren't for Bloodborne, I would really regret buying a ps4. That game is the reason I bought it and the only reason I haven't sold the system. My Wii U has gotten so much more play time and more games that are worth having. It's a real treasure in my book. I can't wait to hear more about the NX at e3! This thread is mostly dumb and sad.

That's pretty much how I feel, minus actually owning Bloodborne. As much as I'd love to play it I can't afford to purchase one expensive console for a single game. I've gotten a lot of playtime out of my Wii U cause a lot of the exclusives have appealed to me and my brother. So even if it didn't sell well overall, it was well worth the purchase for me.

I've decided to ignore basically everything about the NX until more concrete info comes out since its all just pointless speculation. I still can't believe anyone thought those football controllers were real though.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

In all seriousness, I wonder if there are people, aside from extremely casual gamers, who's entire experience with Nintendo has been via their handhelds.

I'm pretty sure that would apply to a lot of people in Japan. From what I hear mobile gaming is way bigger than console gaming there, so the 3DS is really prevalent compared to the Wii U.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I can't believe I forgot about the Nomad. Sega beat Nintendo to the 16-bit handheld by 4 years, and it still bombed.

The Nomad ruled

It was the original Wii U gamepad

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

The Nomad ruled

It was the original Wii U gamepad

Did it? I know it sold poorly, but that's not always related to quality.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Did it? I know it sold poorly, but that's not always related to quality.

I mean actually it was pretty goofy.

Had these HUGE battery packs that snapped on to the back that were basically the size of a modern Apple TV. I don't think they lasted all that long, either.

But as a kid it was mind blowing to play TV games in my bedroom.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

raditts posted:

Who could have predicted that this thread about an upcoming console that no details have been released for would turn out to be a lovely thread

If we only knew...

To be fair, the intent was to keep this stuff out of the Wii U thread.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The big problem with the Nomad, aside from it having a battery life of maybe two hours at best (I don't even have a battery pack for the Nomad, I just use the AC adapter because it's not like I'm ever taking this gigantic brick out of the house), is the fact it's really particular about playing the cartridges and likes to lock up unless you hold it perfectly still at all times and don't press the buttons too hard.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

The big problem with the Nomad, aside from it having a battery life of maybe two hours at best (I don't even have a battery pack for the Nomad, I just use the AC adapter because it's not like I'm ever taking this gigantic brick out of the house), is the fact it's really particular about playing the cartridges and likes to lock up unless you hold it perfectly still at all times and don't press the buttons too hard.

That seems like a really weird flaw for a cartridge based system.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

It's pretty weird. Sure, if you yank the Genesis around while it's running, it'll probably lock up as well, but generally speaking you're less likely to do that with a home console than a handheld and I don't think Sega considered that while designing the Nomad. It's not quite "breathe on it wrong and the game locks up" but any kind of sharp movement/bump/shake is likely to freeze your game.

edit: this isn't just my unit being faulty or me flailing around like a moron, it's a common complaint about the Nomad

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 28, 2016

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Who wants to try and guess what fundamental design flaw this console will have? They haven't designed good hardware since the SNES.

I bet Nintendo still isn't smart enough to use PC hardware like Sony and Microsoft. And you just know the ancient husks in the board room in Japan are still weary of these newfangled online multiplayer games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The French Army! posted:

Who wants to try and guess what fundamental design flaw this console will have? They haven't designed good hardware since the SNES.

I bet Nintendo still isn't smart enough to use PC hardware like Sony and Microsoft. And you just know the ancient husks in the board room in Japan are still weary of these newfangled online multiplayer games.

I think Splatoon's success will be enough to mollify that weariness.

I would say the flaw will be power again, but those cluster console rumors make this interesting.

Whoever said that ignoring anymore controller rumors is a good idea was right, but I can't help but still find the "2DS meets Samsung design" rumor interesting. If that is the case, people might take one look at it and roll their eyes at "The Wii U 2".

• Locked thread